GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 12:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 12:15
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:06) correct 25% (01:28) wrong based on 1044 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 220

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

A. not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction
B. as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion, and it was a construction
C. not only as a laxative but also as a skin-softening lotion and as a construction
D. as not only a laxative but as a skin-softening lotion and in construction, as a
E. not only as a laxative, but a skin-softening lotion and in construction, a

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 22:42
anurag16 wrote:
I understand why C is correct

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a laxative but also as a skin-softening lotion and as a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

2 parallelisms
1. not only x but also y 2. y and z

But why is B incorrect?

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion, and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

As per my understanding
Modifier In...civilization, Clause 1 castor oil served as not only x but also y, Clause 2 and it (Castor oil) was ..........rollers.

2 parallelisms
1. not only x but also y 2. clause 1 and clause 2

Please help!

Dear anurag16,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First, a little constructive criticism. I think this this color is exceedingly hard to see, so it would be best not to use it for anything you want seen.

If you think of the GMAT SC as a test of grammar, then the GMAT will trap you on question after question. The GMAT SC tests grammar, logic, and rhetoric all together, and SC mastery involves understanding the interplay of those three strands. If you focus exclusively on grammar, you will be lost on most of the harder questions. Here, you are making an argument about why (B) is grammatically correct. Of course (B) is grammatically correct---and that's precisely besides the point!

In this question, (B) is 100% grammatically correct, but it is not a good answer. Let's think about this. We are talking about uses of something. The most efficient way would be to say:
Castor oil was used as X, Y, and Z.
For whatever reason, the author wanted to highlight the contrast between the use as a "laxative" (something they put inside their bodies) with the other external uses. The author creates this contrast with the "not only . . . but also" structure. Thus,
Castor oil was used not only as a laxative, but also as Y and as Z.
That's still very elegant, and this is exactly what (C) does.
By contrast, (B) introduces a new clause for the third factoid, rather than simply include it on the same list. That's enormously clunky! New clauses should introduce something genuinely new, something that opens new logical ground. Why start an entire new independent clause for a single item that simply could be added to a list? That's an astonishingly poor rhetorical choice! There's no sense of elegance and style. This version is an absolute embarrassment compared to (C).

What's particularly tricky about this question is that the prompt also makes the same rhetorically disastrous choice, so this might make (B) appear not too bad. I am sure many GMAT takers focused exclusively on grammar fell for the trap of (B). Meanwhile, the hyper-literalist would see the change in (C) and think that's a "change in meaning," rather than simply the first appearance of high quality writing among the answer choices. These official questions are brilliant, and they are crafted at a very sophisticated level. The student who focuses purely on grammar will not fare well on these questions.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Re: In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2017, 19:06
In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

A. not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction
- In order to maintain Parallelism, 2nd item for BUT ALSO has to be a Noun and not a clause. Hence Incorrect
B. as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion, and it was a construction
- In order to maintain Parallelism, 2nd item for BUT ALSO has to be a Noun and not a clause. Hence Incorrect
C. not only as a laxative but also as a skin-softening lotion and as a construction
- Correct
D. as not only a laxative but as a skin-softening lotion and in construction, as a
- Correct pair is NOT ONLY X, BUT ALSO Y. In this option pair is AS NOT ONLY X, BUT AS Y. There are other errors as well in this option. Hence Incorrect
- Correct pair is NOT ONLY X, BUT ALSO Y. In this option pair is NOT ONLY AS X, BUT Y. There are other errors as well in this option. Hence Incorrect

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 09:32
Not Only X, but also Y is the correct idiomatic usage, hence correct answer will be (C)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 11:44
A.not only as a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion and it was a construction - Parallelism Not only X but also Y
B.as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion, and it was a construction - Parallelism - noun phrase and clause
C.not only as a laxative but also as a skin-softening lotion and as a construction - Correct
D.as not only a laxative but as a skin-softening lotion and in construction, as a - Parallelism Not only X but also Y
E.not only as a laxative, but a skin-softening lotion and in construction, a - Parallelism Not only X but also Y

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 22:11

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a laxative but also as a skin-softening lotion and as a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

2 parallelisms

But why is B incorrect?

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served as not only a laxative, but also a skin-softening lotion, and it was a construction lubricant for sliding giant stone blocks over wooden rollers.

As per my understanding
Modifier In...civilization, Clause 1 castor oil served as not only x but also y, Clause 2 and it (Castor oil) was ..........rollers.

2 parallelisms

Please help!

Kudos if you like my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 20:58
souvik101990
sayantanc2k
mikemcgarry

Can anyone please help me with my above query?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2017, 23:05
Quote:
What's particularly tricky about this question is that the prompt also makes the same rhetorically disastrous choice, so this might make (B) appear not too bad. I am sure many GMAT takers focused exclusively on grammar fell for the trap of (B). Meanwhile, the hyper-literalist would see the change in (C) and think that's a "change in meaning," rather than simply the first appearance of high quality writing among the answer choices. These official questions are brilliant, and they are crafted at a very sophisticated level. The student who focuses purely on grammar will not fare well on these questions.

mikemcgarry
Exactly what happened!! Thanks a lot for your help..

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 05:55
The question test the idiom Not Only X but also Y
Answer is C

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 03:35
i marked option B.For me even though gramaticaly C was correct bt changes the meaning which is illogical.It says for sliding giant stone blocks castor oil serve as a laxative, skin softeing solution and constructon lubricant.This is totally illogical.

B seems correct because second clause mention another use of castor oil and first clause talks about uses in term of laxative and external use.

what is wrong with option B.sometime hard to understand what gmac is trying to do
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 08:09
Hello! Thanks for this explanation, but why there is no comma before "but" in the answer choice C? Is it correct?

Thanks in advance!

mikemcgarry wrote:
anurag16 wrote:

2 parallelisms

But why is B incorrect?

As per my understanding

2 parallelisms

Please help!

Dear anurag16,

First, a little constructive criticism. I think this this color is exceedingly hard to see, so it would be best not to use it for anything you want seen.

If you think of the GMAT SC as a test of grammar, then the GMAT will trap you on question after question. The GMAT SC tests grammar, logic, and rhetoric all together, and SC mastery involves understanding the interplay of those three strands. If you focus exclusively on grammar, you will be lost on most of the harder questions. Here, you are making an argument about why (B) is grammatically correct. Of course (B) is grammatically correct---and that's precisely besides the point!

In this question, (B) is 100% grammatically correct, but it is not a good answer. Let's think about this. We are talking about uses of something. The most efficient way would be to say:
For whatever reason, the author wanted to highlight the contrast between the use as a "laxative" (something they put inside their bodies) with the other external uses. The author creates this contrast with the "not only . . . but also" structure. Thus,
By contrast, (B) introduces a new clause for the third factoid, rather than simply include it on the same list. That's enormously clunky! New clauses should introduce something genuinely new, something that opens new logical ground. Why start an entire new independent clause for a single item that simply could be added to a list? That's an astonishingly poor rhetorical choice! There's no sense of elegance and style. This version is an absolute embarrassment compared to (C).

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 09:48
CorporateFinancier wrote:
Hello! Thanks for this explanation, but why there is no comma before "but" in the answer choice C? Is it correct?

Thanks in advance!

Dear CorporateFinancier,

In the "not only . . . but also" structure, a comma is not necessary. It would used for organization of the first branch of the parallelism were particularly long. Here, the first branch is simply a small prepositional phrase "as a laxative," so the comma would be superfluous. Also, keep in mind, the GMAT does not test punctuation: no SC answer choice will be wrong purely on the basis of punctuation.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 11:56

Not Only As A.......... But Also As A................. And As A.............

Hence - C

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 01:02
Thanks, though for instance in this question - https://gmatclub.com/forum/next-month-s ... l#p1867854 - option C is eliminated on the basis of punctuation, as far as I understand:

Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the job of increasing the wolf population in the federally designated recovery area, the number of which will however ultimately be dictated by the number of prey in the area.

A. area, the number of which will however
B. area; the size of the population, however, will
C. area, however the number of wolves will
D. area; the number of which will, however,
E. area, when the size of the population will, however,

mikemcgarry wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Dear CorporateFinancier,

In the "not only . . . but also" structure, a comma is not necessary. It would used for organization of the first branch of the parallelism were particularly long. Here, the first branch is simply a small prepositional phrase "as a laxative," so the comma would be superfluous. Also, keep in mind, the GMAT does not test punctuation: no SC answer choice will be wrong purely on the basis of punctuation.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Toronto
ND: SS
Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 01:27
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 220

C is the correct one

idiom Not only ...but also and parallelism >> as a laxative ...but also as a skin-softening ...and as a construction lubricant

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

Using Forum Tags: https://gmatclub.com/forum/using-forum-tags-158411.html#p1909410
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/youtube-sessions-with-gmatninja-244869.html#p1903093

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 23:15
anurag16 wrote:

2 parallelisms

But why is B incorrect?

As per my understanding

2 parallelisms

Please help!

Brilliant way to ask a question.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 05:08
mikemcgarry wrote:
anurag16 wrote:

2 parallelisms

But why is B incorrect?

As per my understanding

2 parallelisms

Please help!

Dear anurag16,

Hi Mike,

Please correct me if I am wrong but is option B wrong only because a new clause is added for the 3rd fact? Is that something that GMAT tests as oppose to option C ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 16:33
pra1785 wrote:

Hi Mike,

Please correct me if I am wrong but is option B wrong only because a new clause is added for the 3rd fact? Is that something that GMAT tests as oppose to option C ?

Dear pra1785,

I would say that, by turning the third element in the list into its own clause, (B) became quite awkward, and answer choices that sound awkward are wrong on the GMAT. The GMAT definitely has a ear for the rhetorical fitness of the answer choices. I would discourage you from trying to formulate a mathematical black & white rule about this, because it's as much a matter of "feel" as anything else.

As you may have heard me say before, you can't arrive at GMAT SC mastery by assembling some collection of rules. You have to develop a "feel" for how the language sounds, and the only way for a non-native to hone this sense is by developing an assiduous habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: General Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 16:20
Thanks, though for instance in this question - https://gmatclub.com/forum/next-month-s ... l#p1867854 - option C is eliminated on the basis of punctuation, as far as I understand:

Next month, state wildlife officials are scheduled to take over the job of increasing the wolf population in the federally designated recovery area, the number of which will however ultimately be dictated by the number of prey in the area.

A. area, the number of which will however
B. area; the size of the population, however, will
C. area, however the number of wolves will
D. area; the number of which will, however,
E. area, when the size of the population will, however,

Hello,

Trying to help here...

I think what mikemcgarry said was punctuation itself does not make an option correct or incorrect, but the meaning does. When punctuation changes the meaning, so, because of the change in meaning, a choice can be correct or not.

In the example above, using comma makes the next clause refers to/explain the previous word (in this case, area). Letter A: 'the number of which' refers to 'area'....That's why is incorrect, because 'the number' is referring to area, something clearly awkward.

On the other side, using semi-colon separates two independent clauses (Letter C) giving the correct meaning: two independent information about the same theme.

Best,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 09:38
AbdurRakib wrote:
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question no. 220

why b is wrong.
gmat test grammar and meaning. just two things. simple.
grammatical error is easy to find. but meaning error is hard

if we dont see grammar error, find meaning error.

using our common sense of this world (seem a phrase in a novel), we find meaning error.
castol oil is not , can not be, construction lubricant. it serve as a construction oil.
simple, b is wrong.

am i correct?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la &nbs [#permalink] 05 Dec 2017, 09:38

In early Mesopotamian civilization, castor oil served not only as a la

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap