GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2019, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is it normal to get first 9 verbal questions from RC consecutively?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Is it normal to get first 9 verbal questions from RC consecutively?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 10:56
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new around here and follow most of the gmat topics closely - very helpful! I've been giving a big struggle to get 700+ score :/

A very specific question, if you can help me:

- Today I did OG practice exam 4 and at verbal, I got 3 reading passage question consecutively at the beggining. So 9 of first verbal questions were RC. Is it normal?

If you can share any thoughts whether this is common or not and provide some strategies if I encounter such situation at real exam, I'd appreciate a lot!

As RC is my weakest area, I got very demotivated :(
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is it normal to get first 9 verbal questions from RC consecutively?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 11:13
GMATPrep test is the model of "actual GMAT". So, if there is something like what you said in your post, there is a chance to happen it. But, no one can surely says that it'll happen every times.
It's my personal thinking; it may be right or it may be wrong.
zehsoy wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new around here and follow most of the gmat topics closely - very helpful! I've been giving a big struggle to get 700+ score :/

- Today I did OG practice exam 4 and at verbal, I got 3 reading passage question consecutively at the beggining. So 9 of first verbal questions were RC. Is it normal?

If you can share any thoughts whether this is common or not and provide some strategies if I encounter such situation at real exam, I'd appreciate a lot!

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is it normal to get first 9 verbal questions from RC consecutively?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 11:17
Definitely unusual and does not sound normal but there is nothing that says it can’t happen. There is no guidance either way.

I could see how it may throw one off. However I would not worry too much and would just take it one question at a time... or one RC at a time :-)

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 13:05
bb Asad thanks a lot! hope I wont have such bad luck at real exam :)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 13:12
This won’t be helpful with gauging ones time but perhaps the worst is when the RCs come last.... either way, better to take them in moderation.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Manager
Manager
P
CAT Tests
Is it normal to get first 9 verbal questions from RC consecutively?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 15:52
zehsoy wrote:
hope I wont have such bad luck at real exam

If you go to the test with the mindset that you will encounter "bad luck" - a very silly and meaningless term imo - if you get three RC passages in a row, then you may put yourself in big trouble.

Prepare for "worst" cases. And keep the mind open for all possibilities.

There is absolutely nothing in the test design that says that you will not get consecutive similar question types at any given stage of the test. GL!

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 18:43
zehsoy wrote:
Hi everyone,

One of my student also got 3 RC’s in a row.
So, it’s a possibility.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2019, 20:21
I got 2 RC's in the end in one of my GMATPREP tests and surely i didn't feel good about that since i normally am short on time in verbal. To take RC's at the end is the worst that can happen to someone like me who's weakest point is RC.

So getting them as early as possible seems best and keeping guard open to encounter any type of questions totally makes sense.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 05:26
Hovkial wrote:
zehsoy wrote:
hope I wont have such bad luck at real exam

If you go to the test with the mindset that you will encounter "bad luck" - a very silly and meaningless term imo - if you get three RC passages in a row, then you may put yourself in big trouble.

Prepare for "worst" cases. And keep the mind open for all possibilities.

There is absolutely nothing in the test design that says that you will not get consecutive similar question types at any given stage of the test. GL!

well thanks for advice, but I dont think "silly" is an approriate word during a constructive explanation
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2019, 17:56
I agree that it is certainly a possibility, so that just means that you have to be ready for anything that comes your way on test day.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 09:46
zehsoy wrote:

I dont think "silly" is an approriate word during a constructive explanation

It is indeed silly to assume a testtaker is so special that they should not get three RCs in a row.

And no, it is not unusual to receive several RCs in a row. It is a perfectly normal situation.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GPA: 3.9
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2019, 12:36
This has happened to me several times with GMAT Prep practice exams, but never on the real thing. I think the practice exams are just clunkier.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is it normal to get first 9 verbal questions from RC consecutively?   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2019, 12:36

Is it normal to get first 9 verbal questions from RC consecutively?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep