Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [239]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [116]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [10]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: XLRI (A)
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3946 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 B

The argument believes that there could be only a decrease in the number of beliefs.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Kudos
(A) presumes, without providing any justification, that the surest way of increasing the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs must not hinder one’s ability to survive
(B) neglects the possibility that even while following the statisticians’ rule, one might also accept new beliefs when presented with some kinds of evidence
(C) overlooks the possibility that some large sets of beliefs are more correct overall than are some small sets of beliefs
(D) takes for granted that one should accept some beliefs related to survival even when given adequate evidence against them
(E) takes for granted that the beliefs we need in order to have many beliefs must all be correct beliefs

Reject A because The author gives a reason "Since we need many beliefs in order to survive"
(C) Takes it for granted that all will have large sets of beliefs
(D)The stimulus nowhere says that one must accept wrong beliefs as well
(E) Nowhere mentioned.In fact the stimulus accepts that the beliefs may be wrong
I was left with B
but the stimulus says "never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it"B contradicts the stimulus.I will go with C then .In this case All people will ensure that they have large sets of beliefs which will be more correct overall
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [7]
Given Kudos: 141
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I agree with A.

I reject B because, the statistician clearly says that "never change that set, except by rejecting a belief", which translates to not adding new beliefs, but only deleting existing ones.

Also, I support A because the statistician only talks about the correctness of a set of beliefs. However, the author talks about survival, a completely irrelevant conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
i am beginner, if anyone can explain logic behind this answer
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The answer is A.

The argument can be boiled down to this: it can't be the case that this system is the right one for increasing the overall correctness of one's beliefs, because it harms are ability to survive. There is a major assumption here: if something harms our ability to survive, it can't be the best way to increase the correctness of our beliefs. This is exactly what A states
(note that even if we strongly personally agree with this assumption, it is still an assumption which is not supported in the passage itself - and as such, is open to criticism)
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Lokeshvyas wrote:

Sure thing - we are asked what can criticise the claim. Our first move when we want to criticise a claim is to to inspect air and see if it holds together: that is, if the conclusion is indeed a necessary product of the assumptions - or if there are further unstated assumptions which can be attacked. Here there is such an unstated assumption, which I explain above - is this clear?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
I highly doubt that such question is a gmat-like question. Nevertheless, this question is worth to practice. Clearly, all C,D,E are out of scope. I am not surprised that many people will choose B which is a trap. The argument here does not discuss anything about accepting new beliefs.

A is not only an answer but also a pattern.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Premise: Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs is: never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it.

Counter premise: However, if this were the only rule one followed, then whenever one was presented with any kind of evidence, one would have to either reject some of one’s beliefs or else leave one’s beliefs unchanged. But then, over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs.

Conclusion: Since we need many beliefs in order to survive, the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken.

It is clear that there is a gap in the Premise to support the conclusion. Agreed that the premise is correct, but where does it prove that given Premise leads to the Conclusion? Answer A clearly addresses this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
The reason, I think, one doesn't notice why A is correct is because -
It says that the argument "presumes that the only way to increase... (the statistician's claim) must not hinder one's ability to survive"
If the "must not" were replaced by 'must', option A would've seemed more straightforward and one would recognize it as the right option.

Option B, is wrong, however, because it says that one can add beliefs. Understanding the premise would tell you that the argument is only concered about the scenario which involves following just that one rule, and that would mean one cannot add beliefs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618922 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
0690nishant wrote:

Isn't it explained in the posts above?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 305
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
noboru wrote:
Some statisticians claim that the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs is: never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it. However, if this were the only rule one followed, then whenever one were presented with any kind of evidence, one would have to either reject some of one’s beliefs or else leave one’s beliefs unchanged. But then, over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs. Since we need many beliefs in order to survive, the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken.

The argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it

(A) presumes, without providing any justification, that the surest way of increasing the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs must not hinder one’s ability to survive

(B) neglects the possibility that even while following the statisticians’ rule, one might also accept new beliefs when presented with some kinds of evidence

(C) overlooks the possibility that some large sets of beliefs are more correct overall than are some small sets of beliefs

(D) takes for granted that one should accept some beliefs related to survival even when given adequate evidence against them

(E) takes for granted that the beliefs we need in order to have many beliefs must all be correct beliefs

can this be deemed a relevant/useful question if the majority chosen answer is 49% vs ~20% for the correct answer. Somethings wrong here...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM

A clarification on the option:
A says : Argument assumes that overall correctness stops (the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken) one's ability to survive (we need many beliefs in order to survive,)

But author reached to conclusion because he assumed that overall correctness will reduce many beliefs and thus would be hard to survive.
So our option should be: Overall correctness must not be affected with respect to ability to survive.

However option A says : It presumes . It refers to argument not in general statement.

Sorry if the doubt sounds too level.

please clarify eakabuah AndrewN sir.

Thanks!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:

A clarification on the option:
A says : Argument assumes that overall correctness stops (the statisticians’ claim must be mistaken) one's ability to survive (we need many beliefs in order to survive,)

But author reached to conclusion because he assumed that overall correctness will reduce many beliefs and thus would be hard to survive.
So our option should be: Overall correctness must not be affected with respect to ability to survive.

However option A says : It presumes . It refers to argument not in general statement.

Sorry if the doubt sounds too level.

please clarify eakabuah AndrewN sir.

Thanks!

Hello, imSKR. I am having trouble understanding just what you are aiming to say. I think option (A) has been discussed at length above by GMATNinjaTwo. Is there something about the answer choice, question, or passage that still confuses you?

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
I see how A is correct, but I don't understand why it can't be answer C?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
FUNdManager wrote:
I see how A is correct, but I don't understand why it can't be answer C?

Hello, FUNdManager. The problem with answer choice (C) is that such a consideration really has nothing to do with the argument. That argument, long-winded though it may be, is as follows:

the statisticians’ claim [that the surest way to increase the overall correctness of the total set of one’s beliefs is [to] never change that set, except by rejecting a belief when given adequate evidence against it] must be mistaken

Given the condition that if this were the only rule one followed, the purported outcome is that whenever one were presented with any kind of evidence, one would have to either reject some of one’s beliefs or else leave one’s beliefs unchanged. It is this evidence, reject belief/keep belief process that fuels the speculation that over time, one could only have fewer and fewer beliefs. Finally, there is, in my view, a rather odd tie-in to survival in the premise that leads to the argument: we need many beliefs in order to survive. Now that we have combed through the entire passage, take a look again at answer choice (C), within the context of the question:

Quote:
The argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it

What does such a comparison between the correctness of large and small sets of beliefs have to do with the argument? The beginning of the answer choice can be alluring. If it had gone on to say something to the effect of ... some large sets of beliefs are sufficiently correct, such that any new evidence will not lead to further rejection of beliefs, then such a consideration would fly in the face of the argument. However, first, there would never be two correct answers to an official question on the LSAT or GMAT™, and second, this answer choice, as written, emphasizes a comparison that need not be made, and you must assess each option by what is actually on the page (or screen, depending on the test).

Perhaps answer choice (C) makes more sense now... or should I say less sense, if I have convinced you of its faultiness? In any case, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
It makes much more sense now. Thank you very much

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2