GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 05:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 01:13

Inspired by a recent post by cesarucv, and a detailed response by bb on this post, I wanted to expand on the options of financing for international students in the top schools in the US. The table shows the availability, limits, APRs, and co-borrower requirement for international students along with some other notes specific to each schools. Hope you guys find this useful. Which among these do you plan to apply to and what's your financial strategy?

International Financing Options in Top US B Schools
SchoolLoan AmountAPRTermSSN/CO?Information:
Stanford GSB$200,0007% - 7.5%20-25 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
HBSNAPrime + 3%-3.5%15 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
Wharton$250,000Prime + 4% - 4.5%VariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Many loan options are available with different rules for co-borrowers including Quorom and South East BankCheck this link for more info
BoothCost of AttendanceNo infoVariableNo co borrower needed but will help in reducing private loan APRsCheck this link for more info
KelloggNo infoNo infoVariableMost loans require co-signors (including NU private loans). Mpower offers a loan to international students without a cosignor but not sure of the total amount.Check this link for more info
TuckFull cost of attendance7.75% + variableVariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Discover MBA loans offer reduction for good grades (not sure how it works with nondisclousure policies)Check this link for more info
FuquaUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans8% + variable15-20 yearsDiscover, Mpower and SouthEast Bank options. APRs reduce with a co-borrower/good grades/both. 1% cash reward for good grades. This could probably sponsor a foreign travel :)Check this link for more info
MIT SloanCheck this link for more info
RossNo infoNo infoNo infoRoss loans are only available for intl. students if you have a cosigner. However, Ross also lists several private loans (as mentioned in other schools) whch have more relaxed policies on co-signors. Ross does nto recommend anyone in particularCheck this link for more info
SternFull cost of attendanceVariable (8% +)VariableBoth options available with or without co-signer. Needless to say that the loans with co-signers have lower rates.Check this link for more info
Yale SOMUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans7%-8% + variable15+ yearsBoth options available but Yale only lists some select loans for no-cogner loansCheck this link for more info
HaasUpto 60-70% of the cost of attendance.Variable but less than others if you apply for the Haas risk-share programVariableCosinger not needed for risk share Haas loansCheck this link for more info
AndersonOnly Tuition and Summer costs upto $60,000VariableVariableNo consgner needed for Discover and Elemens Financial Loans (but not full amount)Check this link for more info
ColumbiaVariable. Lenders list available for admitted studentsNAVariableNo loans if you don't have a co-signer (but prodigy is mentioned as the only loan if you don't have a co-signer)Check this link for more info
DardenUpto $89K per yearVariable20 YearsLoans without co-singer through DiscoveryCheck this link for more info

Do you think I missed something? How are you planning to finance your student loans? Share your ideas!

See Also....
Special Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants at Top Business Schools!

Prodigy Finance offers loans up to 80% of the Cost for most BSchools - International Students ONLY!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Re: The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 06:24
thanks
Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 08:23
Souvik - What about living expenses and stuff ? I wonder how people deal with that as for international students that'll add up as well.
And on top of that are these options payable after graduation or you have to pay minimum payments or interest per month while in school ?

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Business Development (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 17:42
souvik101990 wrote:

Inspired by a recent post by cesarucv, and a detailed response by bb on this post, I wanted to expand on the options of financing for international students in the top schools in the US. The table shows the availability, limits, APRs, and co-borrower requirement for international students along with some other notes specific to each schools. Hope you guys find this useful. Which among these do you plan to apply to and what's your financial strategy?

International Financing Options in Top US B Schools
SchoolLoan AmountAPRTermSSN/CO?Information:
Stanford GSB$200,0007% - 7.5%20-25 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
HBSNAPrime + 3%-3.5%15 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
Wharton$250,000Prime + 4% - 4.5%VariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Many loan options are available with different rules for co-borrowers including Quorom and South East BankCheck this link for more info
BoothCost of AttendanceNo infoVariableNo co borrower needed but will help in reducing private loan APRsCheck this link for more info
KelloggNo infoNo infoVariableMost loans require co-signors (including NU private loans). Mpower offers a loan to international students without a cosignor but not sure of the total amount.Check this link for more info
TuckFull cost of attendance7.75% + variableVariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Discover MBA loans offer reduction for good grades (not sure how it works with nondisclousure policies)Check this link for more info
FuquaUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans8% + variable15-20 yearsDiscover, Mpower and SouthEast Bank options. APRs reduce with a co-borrower/good grades/both. 1% cash reward for good grades. This could probably sponsor a foreign travel :)Check this link for more info
MIT SloanCheck this link for more info
RossNo infoNo infoNo infoRoss loans are only available for intl. students if you have a cosigner. However, Ross also lists several private loans (as mentioned in other schools) whch have more relaxed policies on co-signors. Ross does nto recommend anyone in particularCheck this link for more info
SternFull cost of attendanceVariable (8% +)VariableBoth options available with or without co-signer. Needless to say that the loans with co-signers have lower rates.Check this link for more info
Yale SOMUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans7%-8% + variable15+ yearsBoth options available but Yale only lists some select loans for no-cogner loansCheck this link for more info
HaasUpto 60-70% of the cost of attendance.Variable but less than others if you apply for the Haas risk-share programVariableCosinger not needed for risk share Haas loansCheck this link for more info
AndersonOnly Tuition and Summer costs upto $60,000VariableVariableNo consgner needed for Discover and Elemens Financial Loans (but not full amount)Check this link for more info
ColumbiaVariable. Lenders list available for admitted studentsNAVariableNo loans if you don't have a co-signer (but prodigy is mentioned as the only loan if you don't have a co-signer)Check this link for more info
DardenUpto $89K per yearVariable20 YearsLoans without co-singer through DiscoveryCheck this link for more info

Do you think I missed something? How are you planning to finance your student loans? Share your ideas!

See Also....
Special Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants at Top Business Schools!

Prodigy Finance offers loans up to 80% of the Cost for most BSchools - International Students ONLY!

souvik101990 Great work with the tabulated details for the 15 schools you've published!
Would it be possible for you to furnish similar datapoints for the next 10 schools in the pecking order as well? Apologies in advance if this is too unreasonable a request to put forth.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 10:40
Do you think applying for financial aid could make an international applicant less competitive, especially if they are over represented I.e. Asians?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 20:53
Xyz123t wrote:
Do you think applying for financial aid could make an international applicant less competitive, especially if they are over represented I.e. Asians?

Hey Xyz123t, I have just gone through the round 2 process and do not recall any of the schools asking whether you will need to borrow to finance your loan. It shouldn't make any difference in their assessment, as financing should be separate from the quality of the candidate (same goes for business cases!). Sorry if this info is a bit late for you but it might help others.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: Haas '21, Tuck '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 14:02
TravisfromAUS wrote:
Xyz123t wrote:

Hey Xyz123t, I have just gone through the round 2 process and do not recall any of the schools asking whether you will need to borrow to finance your loan. It shouldn't make any difference in their assessment, as financing should be separate from the quality of the candidate (same goes for business cases!). Sorry if this info is a bit late for you but it might help others.

I confirm that this was not an issue
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA &nbs [#permalink] 22 Sep 2018, 14:02

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap