Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [47]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [3]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Business Development (Retail)
Send PM
Re: The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA

Inspired by a recent post by cesarucv, and a detailed response by bb on this post, I wanted to expand on the options of financing for international students in the top schools in the US. The table shows the availability, limits, APRs, and co-borrower requirement for international students along with some other notes specific to each schools. Hope you guys find this useful. Which among these do you plan to apply to and what's your financial strategy?

International Financing Options in Top US B Schools
SchoolLoan AmountAPRTermSSN/CO?Information:
Stanford GSB$200,0007% - 7.5%20-25 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
HBSNAPrime + 3%-3.5%15 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
Wharton$250,000Prime + 4% - 4.5%VariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Many loan options are available with different rules for co-borrowers including Quorom and South East BankCheck this link for more info
BoothCost of AttendanceNo infoVariableNo co borrower needed but will help in reducing private loan APRsCheck this link for more info
KelloggNo infoNo infoVariableMost loans require co-signors (including NU private loans). Mpower offers a loan to international students without a cosignor but not sure of the total amount.Check this link for more info
TuckFull cost of attendance7.75% + variableVariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Discover MBA loans offer reduction for good grades (not sure how it works with nondisclousure policies)Check this link for more info
FuquaUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans8% + variable15-20 yearsDiscover, Mpower and SouthEast Bank options. APRs reduce with a co-borrower/good grades/both. 1% cash reward for good grades. This could probably sponsor a foreign travel :)Check this link for more info
MIT SloanCheck this link for more info
RossNo infoNo infoNo infoRoss loans are only available for intl. students if you have a cosigner. However, Ross also lists several private loans (as mentioned in other schools) whch have more relaxed policies on co-signors. Ross does nto recommend anyone in particularCheck this link for more info
SternFull cost of attendanceVariable (8% +)VariableBoth options available with or without co-signer. Needless to say that the loans with co-signers have lower rates.Check this link for more info
Yale SOMUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans7%-8% + variable15+ yearsBoth options available but Yale only lists some select loans for no-cogner loansCheck this link for more info
HaasUpto 60-70% of the cost of attendance.Variable but less than others if you apply for the Haas risk-share programVariableCosinger not needed for risk share Haas loansCheck this link for more info
AndersonOnly Tuition and Summer costs upto $60,000VariableVariableNo consgner needed for Discover and Elemens Financial Loans (but not full amount)Check this link for more info
ColumbiaVariable. Lenders list available for admitted studentsNAVariableNo loans if you don't have a co-signer (but prodigy is mentioned as the only loan if you don't have a co-signer)Check this link for more info
DardenUpto $89K per yearVariable20 YearsLoans without co-singer through DiscoveryCheck this link for more info

Do you think I missed something? How are you planning to finance your student loans? Share your ideas!

See Also....
Special Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants at Top Business Schools!

Prodigy Finance offers loans up to 80% of the Cost for most BSchools - International Students ONLY!

souvik101990 Great work with the tabulated details for the 15 schools you've published!
Would it be possible for you to furnish similar datapoints for the next 10 schools in the pecking order as well? Apologies in advance if this is too unreasonable a request to put forth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Do you think applying for financial aid could make an international applicant less competitive, especially if they are over represented I.e. Asians?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Xyz123t wrote:
Do you think applying for financial aid could make an international applicant less competitive, especially if they are over represented I.e. Asians?

Hey Xyz123t, I have just gone through the round 2 process and do not recall any of the schools asking whether you will need to borrow to finance your loan. It shouldn't make any difference in their assessment, as financing should be separate from the quality of the candidate (same goes for business cases!). Sorry if this info is a bit late for you but it might help others.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
TravisfromAUS wrote:
Xyz123t wrote:

Hey Xyz123t, I have just gone through the round 2 process and do not recall any of the schools asking whether you will need to borrow to finance your loan. It shouldn't make any difference in their assessment, as financing should be separate from the quality of the candidate (same goes for business cases!). Sorry if this info is a bit late for you but it might help others.

I confirm that this was not an issue
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
How do these compare with 3rd party lenders such as Prodigy and Discover?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
How those lenders do credit analysis on international students? We need to provide documents from our home country like tax filings, bank statement and so on?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GRE 1: Q164 V158
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Prodigy Finance doesn't provide collateral free loans to some of my target colleges (like IIMs India), and coming from poor family, I do not have any collateral for getting a loan from Indian bank.

Any suggestions what can be done in that case?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
paU1i wrote:
Prodigy Finance doesn't provide collateral free loans to some of my target colleges (like IIMs India), and coming from poor family, I do not have any collateral for getting a loan from Indian bank.

Sorry, unfortunately I don't know much about Indian Schools (Prodigy usually requires that you go to school in a country other than where you live) but you can check this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/opinion-post ... 64575.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GRE 1: Q164 V158
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
bb wrote:
paU1i wrote:

Sorry, unfortunately I don't know much about Indian Schools (Prodigy usually requires that you go to school in a country other than where you live) but you can check this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/opinion-post ... 64575.html

Thanks for the link bb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi,

Does anyone have the updated list of B-schools offering no cosigner loans for International students?

bb
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:

The International Student Guide to Financing Your MBA

Inspired by a recent post by cesarucv, and a detailed response by bb on this post, I wanted to expand on the options of financing for international students in the top schools in the US. The table shows the availability, limits, APRs, and co-borrower requirement for international students along with some other notes specific to each schools. Hope you guys find this useful. Which among these do you plan to apply to and what's your financial strategy?

International Financing Options in Top US B Schools
School
Loan Amount
APR
Term
SSN/CO?
Information:
Stanford GSB$200,0007% - 7.5%20-25 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
HBSNAPrime + 3%-3.5%15 yearsYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory.Check this link for more info
Wharton$250,000Prime + 4% - 4.5%VariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Many loan options are available with different rules for co-borrowers including Quorom and South East BankCheck this link for more info
BoothCost of AttendanceNo infoVariableNo co borrower needed but will help in reducing private loan APRsCheck this link for more info
KelloggNo infoNo infoVariableMost loans require co-signors (including NU private loans). Mpower offers a loan to international students without a cosignor but not sure of the total amount.Check this link for more info
TuckFull cost of attendance7.75% + variableVariableYou can reduce your rate with a co-borrower but not mandatory. Discover MBA loans offer reduction for good grades (not sure how it works with nondisclousure policies)Check this link for more info
FuquaUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans8% + variable15-20 yearsDiscover, Mpower and SouthEast Bank options. APRs reduce with a co-borrower/good grades/both. 1% cash reward for good grades. This could probably sponsor a foreign travel :)Check this link for more info
MIT SloanCheck this link for more info
RossNo infoNo infoNo infoRoss loans are only available for intl. students if you have a cosigner. However, Ross also lists several private loans (as mentioned in other schools) whch have more relaxed policies on co-signors. Ross does nto recommend anyone in particularCheck this link for more info
SternFull cost of attendanceVariable (8% +)VariableBoth options available with or without co-signer. Needless to say that the loans with co-signers have lower rates.Check this link for more info
Yale SOMUpto 80% of cost of attendance - Unless private loans7%-8% + variable15+ yearsBoth options available but Yale only lists some select loans for no-cogner loansCheck this link for more info
HaasUpto 60-70% of the cost of attendance.Variable but less than others if you apply for the Haas risk-share programVariableCosinger not needed for risk share Haas loansCheck this link for more info
AndersonOnly Tuition and Summer costs upto $60,000VariableVariableNo consgner needed for Discover and Elemens Financial Loans (but not full amount)Check this link for more info
ColumbiaVariable. Lenders list available for admitted studentsNAVariableNo loans if you don't have a co-signer (but prodigy is mentioned as the only loan if you don't have a co-signer)Check this link for more info
DardenUpto $89K per yearVariable20 YearsLoans without co-singer through DiscoveryCheck this link for more info

Do you think I missed something? How are you planning to finance your student loans? Share your ideas!

See Also....
Special Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants at Top Business Schools!

Prodigy Finance offers loans up to 80% of the Cost for most BSchools - International Students ONLY!

Hi souvik101990,

Has Ross started to offer loans to international students without a co signor?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 2.29
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Does anyone have statistics of how much less of a chance we have for a scholarship if we apply in later rounds? Or just a guess of the top of your head?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lennor wrote:
Does anyone have statistics of how much less of a chance we have for a scholarship if we apply in later rounds? Or just a guess of the top of your head?

Good question. It is hard to tell. I think most programs try to balance it between R1 and R2. Sometimes, they have people decline. E.g. someone gets a 50% scholarship at Fuqua and 50% at Haas, they may pick Haas for example, and that frees up the scholarship money for R2. I think it can be about equal though again, in the competitive situations, the earlier you apply the better in general.

R3 is traditionally the trickiest round to get scholarship money and it is basically only if someone skips on their option and opts in for another school instead.

P.S. We did have an interesting case (unique) a few years ago of a person who was Waitlisted, getting admitted and getting a 75% scholarship offer along with the admit. Made their choice easy but surprised many of us.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Kudos
bb Mit sloan's information link is incorrect as it's redirecting to booth's website, rather than to Sloan's. Please correct it !!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rajtare wrote:
bb Mit sloan's information link is incorrect as it's redirecting to booth's website, rather than to Sloan's. Please correct it !!

Thank you. I have updated the link for MIT but I found so many confusing and various departments and resources for financing for MIT that are all sort of touching on the topic but don't dive into them. Here is the full scope so you get a sense of how many websites (not even pages) there are that MIT has for Financing - it is mind boggling :dazed

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions ... -education
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions ... -aid/loans
https://oge.mit.edu/ and https://oge.mit.edu/student-finances/fi ... ing/loans/
http://sfs.mit.edu/

P.S. Funny enough, I got 404 error for http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ and the correct link is https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HBS has lowest % rate
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for sharing this informative article.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2