Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

UNC Kenan-Flagler($$) v/s NYU Stern?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler($$) v/s NYU Stern? [#permalink]
Top Contributor
Official1990 wrote:
Hi!

Wanted some views on the subject. My stats: Indian, F, 26, GMAT 760, work ex 2.5 years currently. Career goals: Preferably Corporate Finance (TBH I am very flexible regarding work function and location within US. I am even fine with Europe, Singapore or Dubai, provided the money is good enough to pay back loans. I also know that I don't want to be in a competitive field like Consulting or IB.)

My options currently are UNC Kenan-Flagler (75% Scholarship) and NYU Stern (No Scholarship). Stern is obviously higher in ranking and brand name factor (which is quite important to me), but Kenan-Flagler is a very good school too with much better weather and lower cost of living. Not being from a particularly wealthy background, the immense cost difference between the 2 is weighing on my mind. Stern will require 220K and Kenan-Flagler 80K.

So my questions:
1. Do you think it will be possible to negotiate with Stern for any sort of scholarship?

2. Which school would most people in my situation choose (keeping in mind both the cost factor and the brand name factor)?

Thanks!

Congrats on the admits!!

Its a no brainier especially if you are an international student. There is obviously difference in the reputation of those two schools , but I have to tell you, when you graduate with absolutely no loan vs huge loan the corporate life experience can be completely different and less nerve racking.

NYU Stern would give you some really good finance roles that would be really difficult from UNC. Think of IBs, M&A etc. If you are not interested in those roles, then UNC wins hands down. Also keep a flexible mind while pursuing MBA. There are lot of other interesting roles that open up during MBA. The whole point of MBA is to explore and choose the best from the options that the school provides you.
Corporate finance roles are typically stable and also relatively very few in number. You will have to network extremely well and showcase the relevant skills.

Hope this helps!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Official1990,
I can very well understand your situation.
First thing I would do is try negotiate with Stern. I'm not an expert in negotiating with schools but I prefer being honest and that's what I would suggest you too. Let Stern know your goals and your preference, and also the dilemma you're facing. I don't think they'll match the offer but may be they'll offer you at least something? You never know...

Regarding the school itself, Stern is definitely better than KF. This difference matters even more since you plan to recruit for finance roles.
On your idea of coming to EU/Singapore again Stern will help you much more than KF. (I'm an Indian based in Singapore btw and I too plan to move around after my MBA in US)

On the cost front, it might look like a huge number today but it may not be so a few years down the line. Moreover, if you work in a good role in US, even for first few years post-MBA you'll be debt free.

All together, my suggestion is that if you plan to live in US in long-term or wish to get into a corporate role Stern is much better. I would strongly suggest to start negotiating with Stern and also check your financing options.

PS: Pardon me for this but I didn't exactly get your reluctance to get into consulting/IB. Every field is competitive. I think what should matter more is not the competitiveness of the job but the "content" of the job..Did I misunderstood anything here?

Official1990 wrote:
Hi!

Wanted some views on the subject. My stats: Indian, F, 26, GMAT 760, work ex 2.5 years currently. Career goals: Preferably Corporate Finance (TBH I am very flexible regarding work function and location within US. I am even fine with Europe, Singapore or Dubai, provided the money is good enough to pay back loans. I also know that I don't want to be in a competitive field like Consulting or IB.)

My options currently are UNC Kenan-Flagler (75% Scholarship) and NYU Stern (No Scholarship). Stern is obviously higher in ranking and brand name factor (which is quite important to me), but Kenan-Flagler is a very good school too with much better weather and lower cost of living. Not being from a particularly wealthy background, the immense cost difference between the 2 is weighing on my mind. Stern will require 220K and Kenan-Flagler 80K.

So my questions:
1. Do you think it will be possible to negotiate with Stern for any sort of scholarship?

2. Which school would most people in my situation choose (keeping in mind both the cost factor and the brand name factor)?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Official1990 wrote:
Hi!

So my questions:

Thanks!

Hi Official 1990, congratulations on the admits :)..what did you finally decide?
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, def negotiate with Stern, if they say no they no but it would be a disservice to not try

Well, I can only really focus on your situation as no two situations are alike. For you I would go KF, you're leaning that way anyways and with the money and your career goals KF should be able to satisfy that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q157 V168
GPA: 3.62
WE:Account Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Again you can see I am biased, but I think UNC makes the most sense here -- mainly because (A) you seem to be flexible and not dead set on New York City banking and not IB, (B) cost is a major factor for you (I can relate, to was for me too), and (C) you seem to be leaning towards UNC today. UNC is a great school and I think you ultimately have to decide what you want taking all things into consideration. NYU is going to be a very different experience from Chapel Hill.

If you have any questions you want to ask me about UNC please feel free to shoot me a PM.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Thank you so much for your replies!
Have a lot to think about now. :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator