GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 02:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

"when" as a relative clause

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jul 2019
Posts: 8
"when" as a relative clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2019, 01:06
"when" functioning as a relative pronoun in a relative clause can only take the subject of the sentence?
like in this example
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs

here when cannot refer to mice, because it's not the subject, I heard that in a manhattan video but "that" can remove the ambiguity, why is that?
both "that" and "when" are relative pronouns and both are attached to "in mice" then why is it that "that" can refer to mice but not "when"?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 10 Jan 2017
Posts: 193
Location: India
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: "when" as a relative clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 08:38
neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs

I dont know if i have perceived your point correctly or not, but the "that" is a restrictive clause here, i.e, that is restricting the canaries to only a specific sub set "those learn new songs"

In GMAT English, when as a relative pronoun basically refers back to a time-frame, not any object. so, preferably use "that" to correctly track back mice.

SajjadAhmad, could you please help us understand the difference correctly? :)
_________________
Your limitation—it's only your imagination.
Please hit +1 Kudos if you like my Post.
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 3459
GPA: 3.39
"when" as a relative clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 09:20
This is not a complete sentence is rather a fragment.

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis=> Giving additional information about the subject.

the production=> Subject

of new brain cells=> Describing subject further.

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

Use of that in place of when will change the meaning of the subject.

My grammar is not good :( AjiteshArun please clear us on this above issue.

Thanks

rohitchayal wrote:
"when" functioning as a relative pronoun in a relative clause can only take the subject of the sentence?
like in this example
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs

here when cannot refer to mice, because it's not the subject, I heard that in a manhattan video but "that" can remove the ambiguity, why is that?
both "that" and "when" are relative pronouns and both are attached to "in mice" then why is it that "that" can refer to mice but not "when"?

_________________
For new project RC Butler 2019: Click here
New! Need for an RC strategy and practice? Click here
Patterns among those who have scored 750+(2019 Edition) Click here
For all GMAT Flashcards => Click here
VP
VP
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 1173
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
"when" as a relative clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2019, 11:07
1
SajjadAhmad wrote:
This is not a complete sentence is rather a fragment.

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis=> Giving additional information about the subject.

the production=> Subject

of new brain cells=> Describing subject further.

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

Use of that in place of when will change the meaning of the subject.

My grammar is not good :( AjiteshArun please clear us on this above issue.

Thanks

rohitchayal wrote:
"when" functioning as a relative pronoun in a relative clause can only take the subject of the sentence?
like in this example
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs

here when cannot refer to mice, because it's not the subject, I heard that in a manhattan video but "that" can remove the ambiguity, why is that?
both "that" and "when" are relative pronouns and both are attached to "in mice" then why is it that "that" can refer to mice but not "when"?

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

rohitchayal,
documented examples>Subject
the production of new brain cells>Appositive of neurogenesis
or>>Parallel marker
Underlined part>parallel each other
So this one is NOT sentence fragment at all!
"When" is used as "time frame".
Manhattan says: "object of preposition" can't be subject anymore. In this sentence, "mice" is object of preposition and "canaries" is also object of preposition. So they can't be subject anymore, but if the sentence permit then it can be the subject! "Mice" is not time frame, so "when" did not modify "mice" here. "That" modifies "canaries". So "canaries" is the subject of the verb "learn".
....
PS-the above explanation is just to clarify your query, but at the end of the day your sentence is not correct for the wrong use of modifier (growing), wrong use of "when" (if you put "when" here it seems that "the brain is placed in stimulating blah blah..). Also, we're talking about the "examples of neurogenesis". "The brain" and "neurons" can't be the "examples of neurogenesis" anymore!
_________________
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Do you need official questions for Quant?
3700 Unique Official GMAT Quant Questions
------
SEARCH FOR ALL TAGS
GMAT Club Tests
Senior RC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Nov 2016
Posts: 3459
GPA: 3.39
Re: "when" as a relative clause  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 04:13
Asad

You are right, i didn't taken care of commas, thanks for clarification.

Asad wrote:
SajjadAhmad wrote:
This is not a complete sentence is rather a fragment.

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis=> Giving additional information about the subject.

the production=> Subject

of new brain cells=> Describing subject further.

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

Use of that in place of when will change the meaning of the subject.

My grammar is not good :( AjiteshArun please clear us on this above issue.

Thanks

rohitchayal wrote:
"when" functioning as a relative pronoun in a relative clause can only take the subject of the sentence?
like in this example
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs

here when cannot refer to mice, because it's not the subject, I heard that in a manhattan video but "that" can remove the ambiguity, why is that?
both "that" and "when" are relative pronouns and both are attached to "in mice" then why is it that "that" can refer to mice but not "when"?

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

rohitchayal,
documented examples>Subject
the production of new brain cells>Appositive of neurogenesis
or>>Parallel marker
Underlined part>parallel each other
So this one is NOT sentence fragment at all!
"When" is used as "time frame".
Manhattan says: "object of preposition" can't be subject anymore. In this sentence, "mice" is object of preposition and "canaries" is also object of preposition. So they can't be subject anymore, but if the sentence permit then it can be the subject! "Mice" is not time frame, so "when" did not modify "mice" here. "That" modifies "canaries". So "canaries" is the subject of the verb "learn".
....
PS-the above explanation is just to clarify your query, but at the end of the day your sentence is not correct for the wrong use of modifier (growing), wrong use of "when" (if you put "when" here it seems that "the brain is placed in stimulating blah blah..). Also, we're talking about the "examples of neurogenesis". "The brain" and "neurons" can't be the "examples of neurogenesis" anymore!

_________________
For new project RC Butler 2019: Click here
New! Need for an RC strategy and practice? Click here
Patterns among those who have scored 750+(2019 Edition) Click here
For all GMAT Flashcards => Click here
GMAT Club Bot
Re: "when" as a relative clause   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 04:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

"when" as a relative clause

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne