It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Timer: Personalized Daily Practice Questions [email and workbook]

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27158 [1] , given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Timer: Personalized Daily Practice Questions [email and workbook] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 20:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You are being compared to a sample of test takers who have taken these questions and a number of them probably had issues with verbal, and thus most likely your V score is inflated. Similarly, many here have a very high Q score, which will lower your score. Our system works based on percentiles (it determines where you fit in terms of speed of your answers and correctness and that determines your overall score). Then you are ranked in terms of percentiles, and it does favor people with more questions (not proportionately though, you can still be beated by a guy who answered only 50 questions, but we do not allow a guy who answered 10 correctly beat someone who answered 90 out of 100 if that makes sense.

I would take this as a helpful guideline, but it by no means an accurate predictor of your score since the test conditions are not simulated and you are compared to others as opposed to a gold standard of some sorts.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Timer: Personalized Daily Practice Questions [email and workbook] [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2014, 06:01
bb - I have some questions. Is there anyway I can customize or adjust setting to get more than 4 recommended questions per section?

I also notice that the difficulty level is not that accurate. For example, levels of difficulty - Sub 600, 600 - 700, or 700 are not true representatives of actual difficulty. There are questions in the Sub 600 level which only 50% of repsonse is correct and vice versa. On the other hand, the Question Stat- Correct and Incorrect - is only accurate after there is large number of response ( > 100 ). What I'm trying to say is that it is hard for me to find of filter questions at my level.

Lastly, which weight more important in your score estimate? accuracy or timing (faster than average response time) or difficulty level or question stat percentage correct? How do I improve my score?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 02:23
So right now I'm only doing quant PS questions, however, on my profile it says I should do 10 of each to get a personalized recommendation. Will I get one even though I only do quant PS?

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 43

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 93

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.2
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 03:42
Hey BB, do you take time into account as well?

Stay positive! ^.^

My blog - http://www.mbafortech.com

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 93

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 66

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 09:28
Hey BB, Is there any plan to integrate this with the GMAT Toolkit app? I practice a lot using the app, and it'd be great if my performance there was used to drive my personalized questions as well as GMAT Score predictor.

Right now, its not the best experience to have to login on a PC and take some questions on the forum just to get better recommendations when i've spent all day solving questions on gmat toolkit.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 66

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 44

WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 13:10
For last one week I have been practicing verbal mostly the questions are answered correctly (80% accuracy) but my score fell from 37 to 31? Is this an anamoly? Wonder how the GMAT score estimate thing works!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27158 [0], given: 5001

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 13:13
anilisanil wrote:
For last one week I have been practicing verbal mostly the questions are answered correctly (80% accuracy) but my score fell from 37 to 31? Is this an anamoly? Wonder how the GMAT score estimate thing works!

Thank you for your question. It depends on a few things including the difficulty of questions you have attempted as well as the amount of time you took to answer them.
E.g. taking 10 mins to answer a medium question is going to result in fewer "points" than answering an easier one fast, or taking 10 mins to answer a hard one....

Best Regards,
BB

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 14:36
bb wrote:
anilisanil wrote:

Thank you for your question. It depends on a few things including the difficulty of questions you have attempted as well as the amount of time you took to answer them.
E.g. taking 10 mins to answer a medium question is going to result in fewer "points" than answering an easier one fast, or taking 10 mins to answer a hard one....

Best Regards,
BB

Hi, not sure if that's the case with me. Just attaching the screenshot and I am mostly given the 700 level questions. But I did some very easy questions too.
Attachments

Screenshot_2015-09-07-22-11-23~2.jpg
Screenshot_2015-09-07-22-11-23~2.jpg [ 88.22 KiB | Viewed 1253 times ]

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 15:03
Thank you for posting a screenshot!
We can definitely have someone look into it and why your score got reduced. I am curious now too, so will send a request to the Tech Team to see what they can pull up.

Thank you.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 93

GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 22:14
Hi,

In daily practice questions I am getting 600-700 Level Questions (45% difficulty) everyday. My accuracy rate is 83% (mixed bag of 700+ and 600-700 level questions). In my last GMAT exam, I got Q49.

However, my score is consistent since 7 days (i.e. 42). Am I seeing this deflated score because I don't use timer?

See the screenshot attached.

Middle of nowhere!

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 93

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rohitmanglik wrote:
Hi,

In daily practice questions I am getting 600-700 Level Questions (45% difficulty) everyday. My accuracy rate is 83% (mixed bag of 700+ and 600-700 level questions). In my last GMAT exam, I got Q49.

However, my score is consistent since 7 days (i.e. 42). Am I seeing this deflated score because I don't use timer?

See the screenshot attached.

If I am reading it correctly, looks like your average time to respond is 0:01 seconds... which will not be recognized by the timer as a valid time, so it is being ignored and only the questions that have a long enough and realistic approach are counted/included in your score estimate. We do take time into consideration of your score and that allows us to only have 10 questions vs. 37 for Q.

You need to use the timer properly (start it when you start the question) to get accurate results.

Good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 93

GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
A few suggestions:

1) Can we have a filter to only trusted source of questions in Personalized Daily Practice? OAs of Many questions at high difficulty level are easily refuted by Experts, substantially decreasing the score.

Might be in your algorithm to generate questions you can give some preference to trusted source questions (might be only Official) before you show problems of other sources.

2) Also, many a times one of the questions is a solved question. Can we have a filter for that as well?

Middle of nowhere!

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 93

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 176

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 15:15
rohitmanglik wrote:
A few suggestions:

1) Can we have a filter to only trusted source of questions in Personalized Daily Practice? OAs of Many questions at high difficulty level are easily refuted by Experts, substantially decreasing the score.

Might be in your algorithm to generate questions you can give some preference to trusted source questions (might be only Official) before you show problems of other sources.

2) Also, many a times one of the questions is a solved question. Can we have a filter for that as well?

strongly support this!!!

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 176

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Other, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 02:48
I wouldn't call them hardest.
Some of them are poor quality "home brews".

Some people should not be allowed to post or there should be better moderating process of the self made questions :)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 15:37
maipenrai wrote:
I wouldn't call them hardest.
Some of them are poor quality "home brews".

Some people should not be allowed to post or there should be better moderating process of the self made questions :)

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, if a question is bizzare and wrong, it may be ranked as hardest - that's something we, moderators, need to do fix and do.
If you run into a question like that, please bring it up by either flagging it, posting a message or better, PM' ing a link to either Bunuel or I.

Thanks!

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 136

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 02:23
I have answered about 60 qns, 15 in each category but i can't see my verbal and quant estimate score yet.

Manickam

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 136

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 6

GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 14:24
This post received
KUDOS
Thank You. This is really helpful.

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 164

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 22:55
How many attempted questions(with timer) the system considers for score estimate? If I have taken 26 questions for DS, PS, CR, and SC each, does the system consider all of the 26 questions of each segment or consider only the last 6 questions of each segment for score estimate?

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 164

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
All questions are taken into consideration. The more questions you have in your history the more accurate is the prediction. There is a cut off however but it's based on one or two months of data so if you have taken some questions month ago they won't count.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 179

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 01:55
An wonderful initiative bb. Thanks a lot.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 179

Re: GMAT Timer: Personalized Daily Practice Questions [email and workbook]   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2017, 01:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 87 posts ]