Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Send PM
Re: HIRING FREEZE - Hoax or real? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FuturePM91 wrote:
Thanks for posting/tagging. I have so much anxiety about this. ?

Posted from my mobile device

Did Kellogg reach out to you all about this? We got an email from the career development office with some assurance.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Thanks for posting! It seems some folks may have confused internships and jobs and spreading rumors without realizing it?

This is for hiring for a job, correct?

Yes hiring for a jobs and internships, yet! The table has some notes mentioning a few details.
Director
Director
Send PM
HIRING FREEZE - Hoax or real? [#permalink]
Yeah they sent an email awhile back which essentially said that they hadn’t heard of hiring freezes or rescinding offers. Mostly just health related precautions. But I talked to a friend today who has had their start date postponed to last fall instead of summer.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
In part I feel it may be early to call most businesses except travel. All the major players have suspended their hiring decisions and likely will let go of people. I doubt most others have a clue which way it is going at the moment so they would not be close for table commenting. I think this is accurate for the next 2 weeks but depending on how quarantine and stimulus play out, businesses may adjust. Just saying... if things get tough, it will be tough. However amazon, Microsoft and Apple are likely resilient to anything. Consulting companies... not sure. They can’t travel and that’s a big value they provide.

Director
Director
Send PM
bb wrote:
In part I feel it may be early to call most businesses except travel. All the major players have suspended their hiring decisions and likely will let go of people. I doubt most others have a clue which way it is going at the moment so they would not be close for table commenting. I think this is accurate for the next 2 weeks but depending on how quarantine and stimulus play out, businesses may adjust. Just saying... if things get tough, it will be tough. However amazon, Microsoft and Apple are likely resilient to anything. Consulting companies... not sure. They can’t travel and that’s a big value they provide.

The aforementioned delayed start was a consulting FT offer. Keeping my fingers crossed that I’m safe in food.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Back in 2008, consulting companies rescinded their internship offers and gave "incoming" interns confirmed full-time employment upon successful graduation.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Back in 2008, consulting companies rescinded their internship offers and gave "incoming" interns confirmed full-time employment upon successful graduation.

Yikes. Same ft who told me about the delayed start ALSO told me that they aren’t hiring interns and instead gave all who had intern offers FT offers for next year.

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for tagging in. We had a call with our career center this afternoon and they mentioned that they have been working very closely with employers. There is no negative news as of now. However, my LinkedIn is full of stories of people mentioning that their offers have been taken back and they are looking for jobs now (more internship offers than full time). I am not sure what's going on but fingers crossed!
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
I do think that one thing business schools should do is forget about how this makes them ‘look’ and be as transparent as possibly can.

Update - I just got a survey from amazon asking what my travel plans are from now until my start date. Not sure what they will do with that data though.

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
I do think that one thing business schools should do is forget about how this makes them ‘look’ and be as transparent as possibly can.

Update - I just got a survey from amazon asking what my travel plans are from now until my start date. Not sure what they will do with that data though.

Yes, I agree. We have had multiple webinars this week with some industry experts (McKinsey guy who has worked for 30 years there, a couple of finance guys from GoldMan/JP Morgan) and they mentioned about being ready for anything that could happen. They also discussed alot about 2000 and 2008 crisis and it was very evident from the conversation that it's extremely a bad situation right now.

I am sure Amazon is making sure you will be at a safe place for yourself and for them over the next couple of months. I am assuming ADP will do the same soon though they are still recruiting interns for the summer (a few folks had interviews today).
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
However, my LinkedIn is full of stories of people mentioning that their offers have been taken back and they are looking for jobs now

Full - is that 3 or 30? :-) Are you able to qualify which MBA program these folks from (all Emory?)
Are you seeing a pattern in terms of what kind of companies are canceling their summer internship programs?

Just helps to have specifics during the times when stock market goes up and down by 10% in a day :dazed
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
abhimahna wrote:
However, my LinkedIn is full of stories of people mentioning that their offers have been taken back and they are looking for jobs now

Full - is that 3 or 30? :-) Are you able to qualify which MBA program these folks from (all Emory?)
Are you seeing a pattern in terms of what kind of companies are canceling their summer internship programs?

Just helps to have specifics during the times when stock market goes up and down by 10% in a day :dazed

Lol, I think I might have exaggerated but I saw a couple (may 5-10 in the past 2 weeks) of people from different business schools (no case in Emory as of now). Someone posted about Jetblue, then someone else about Google, I think I saw Yelp also. I am not sure which profile or school they are from but I am sure there have been a couple of cases now. (Will keep an eye on Data going forward) :)
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Lots of airlines have cancelled their internships and the same for a few startups as well. I guess the bigger hit as been for people who were still looking for an internship or a full time job.

Having said that; someone I have been doing prep work with just moved to Facebook for round 2!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q1 V1
Send PM
Kudos
I've heard of atleast one confirmed cancelled internship (edtech), three rumored cancelled internships (tech) and confirmed "oh s&$#... wait" response to a nearly confirmed FT offer (consulting).

We *have* heard from our career mgmt office that it may be getting tough, but they aren't yet worried. I'm worried for the FT folks - I feel like first years get a pass with this situation, but those looking for FT jobs (and with the OPT timeline) are starting to worry.

Another piece is that if Covid-19 doesn't quieten up soon, even if companies do have remote internships or work - they will struggle haaaaaaard with remote onboarding and ramping up. Doesn't sound fun at all.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Pretty good initiative - although no mention of MBB in that sheet at the time of writing this! lol..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Here is the P&Q article that relates to the topic being discussed - https://poetsandquants.com/2020/03/27/c ... ob-offers/

It also mentions the hiring status of a list of companies.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.6
WE:Accounting (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hey at Booth only one non MBB consulting firm that does mostly DD work (and has a travel light model) has cancelled its summer program and extended FT offers to all those candidates who received summer internship offers. No other developments yet. My future employer (one of the MBBs) has stated at the moment that they will honour all offers, but start dates might be impacted for those who have chosen earlier start dates. Investment Management FT recruiting at Booth for internationals is in some hot water right now, because most IM shops don’t want to sponsor internationals anyway and are now cancelling interviews etc because positions are going on hold. This has not affected those IM candidates however, who already have US work authorisation, probably because their recruiting got done before this madness started.

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2