Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of compose [#permalink]
hi,

Please let me know why there is "receives" in non-underlined portion. Also, what does "its" refer to in OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of compose [#permalink]
shr90 wrote:
hi,

Please let me know why there is "receives" in non-underlined portion. Also, what does "its" refer to in OA?

Why do you think "receives" should be in underlined part, and what do you think "its" refers to here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of compose [#permalink]
ArupRS wrote:
shr90 wrote:
hi,

Why do you think "receives" should be in underlined part, and what do you "its" refers to here?

hi,
i am not saying receives should be underlined, i just wanted to know the subject of it.
i have highlighted the "its"

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again

(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again

(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again

(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
shr90 wrote:
ArupRS wrote:
shr90 wrote:
hi,

Why do you think "receives" should be in underlined part, and what do you "its" refers to here?

hi,
i am not saying receives should be underlined, i just wanted to know the subject of it.
i have highlighted the "its"

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again

Hello my Friend,

Then my question becomes what does come to your mind as the subject for the verb "receives"?
And if you have any doubt regarding the noun referred by the pronoun "its", again what do you think "its" refers?

I do not think anyone, let alone will be able to answer your questions if you do not provide this information.

Regards,
Arup
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM

Redundancy – regains and again
JR and GM….often goes into decline after death – Incorrect meaning

Its is referring to reputation

Best of All.
Its is referring to reputation

JR and GM….who declines in reputation – Incorrect meaning.

Sounds like JR /GM HAS declined in reputation. Incorrect meaning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
So ,

IC , Conjunction + Subordinate clause parralel to a Subordinate clause is OK ????

The conjunction doesnt even have its own subject and full bonafide verb

IC , Conjuction IC is widely believed to be the correct structure.

Request you to have a go at this query.

Tagging experts GMATNinja mikemcgarry GMATGuruNY
souvik101990 wrote:
Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: 700
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”.

Now lets look at the options.
A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or her death, but his or her reputation does.
B is incorrect because it uses redundant construction “regains its status again”.
D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see below for clarification.).

souvik101990
Thanks for the co-operation in the forum.
Could you have a look to the highlighted part, please?
Quote:
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.

If you remove the modifier part, the core will be:
^^
My sister and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.
It seems that this one is not the full sentence at all! Could you clarify your thought if I miss anything, please?
Thanks in advance..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Hi

However, there is something else happening in Choice B. Notice that the subject “reputation” has two verbs “declines” and “regains”. These two verbs are correctly joined by “and”. This construction makes entire choice be the second entity in the parallel list, the first being “who often receives…”. Now since there are just two entities in the list per choice B, there should be a marker between the two entities, i. e. before “whose”. But there is no marker. This is another error.

I'm not really clear about the boldened part. What do you mean by ' this construction makes entire choice be the second entity in the parallel list'-- and what exactly are the two errors? Can you also pls mention how the correct sentence would look like as per the explanation?

egmat wrote:
Hi debayan,

You ask very valid questions. Let me give answer to both your questions here.

Choice B: whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again.

There is no problem with the reference of “whose” here. Just like “who”, “whose” also refers to “the kind of composer”. Look at this simple sentence:

The man with white hat is my uncle who has three yachts, and whose brewery is famous nationwide.

In the very same, in the official choice B, “whose” clearly refers to “the kind of composer” without any ambiguity. Now “who” is a relative pronoun that may be preceded by a comma or may not be preceded by one. Presence of comma does not affect its modification or of any other parallel entity in the list.

However, there is something else happening in Choice B. Notice that the subject “reputation” has two verbs “declines” and “regains”. These two verbs are correctly joined by “and”. This construction makes entire choice be the second entity in the parallel list, the first being “who often receives…”. Now since there are just two entities in the list per choice B, there should be a marker between the two entities, i. e. before “whose”. But there is no marker. This is another error.

Now let’s take a look at the use “former” in choice C: but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

Use of former suggests that after death, certain kind of composer does not enjoy that level of popularity that he/she enjoyed while alive. It’s not that he/she loses all the popularity. He/ she retains some popularity but not that popularity that he/she enjoyed when he/she was alive.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again X

(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status CORRECT

The way the sentence is written, a contrast demarcated by ‘but’ is required. ‘…examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, BUT whose…

(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again X

(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity X
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
In C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status. Why aren't we repeating the relative pronoun? I thought it should be: but whose reputation declines after death and whose reputation never regains its former status. Some experts please clear my concept of repeating relative pronoun.

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
In C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status. Why aren't we repeating the relative pronoun? I thought it should be: but whose reputation declines after death and whose reputation never regains its former status. Some experts please clear my concept of repeating relative pronoun.

Posted from my mobile device

Hello AbhishekDhanraJ72,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, there is no need to repeat the phrase "whose reputation"; here, "declines" and "regains" are two verbs linked by "and" that both act upon the noun "reputation", so repeating "whose reputation" would just be redundant.

We hope this helps.

All the best!

Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM

'Never' & 'Again' shouldn't be used for the same intended meaning as it soulds redundant. Hence A, B, D are out. Now use of But in B serves the intended purpose of showing contrast in the sentence. in E 'then' sounds ambigous in that it is not known to where it is referrring. Hence C is the best option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hi ExpertsGlobal5

Could one think that the phrase "often goes into decline after death" in option A modify 'popular acclaim'?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts