Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [322]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [70]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [35]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most pro [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Gnpth wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 240

Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.

(A) Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.

(B) Three most prominent record companies of all the ones that were involved in early jazz were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.

(C) Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were, of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three of them that were most prominent.

(D) Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were three most prominent of all the record companies involved in early jazz.

(E) Out of all the record companies that were involved in early jazz, three of them that were the most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.

SC04874

Concepts tested here: Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: Correct. This answer choice uses the correct superlative adjective construction "preposition ("the" in this case) + superlative ("most prominent" in this case)". Further, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice fails to maintain the correct superlative adjective construction "preposition + superlative", as it omits the preposition "the"; remember, "preposition + superlative" is the correct superlative adjective construction. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "all the ones that were involved", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase "the three of them that were", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice fails to maintain the correct superlative adjective construction "preposition + superlative", as it omits the preposition "the"; remember, "preposition + superlative" is the correct superlative adjective construction.

E: This answer choice fails to maintain the correct superlative adjective construction "preposition + superlative", as it omits the preposition "the"; remember, "preposition + superlative" is the correct superlative adjective construction. Further, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrases "Out of all the record companies that were involved" and "that were the most prominent", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [13]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most pro [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh. - Correct

B. Three most prominent record companies of all the ones that were involved in early jazz were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh. - Incorrect. Passive and the sentence is not concise

C. Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were, of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three of them that were most prominent. - Incorrect. Awkward construction

D. Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were three most prominent of all the record companies involved in early jazz. - Incorrect - Superlative degree requires 'the most'.

E. Out of all the record companies that were involved in early jazz, three of them that were the most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh. - Incorrect - Passive construction

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [6]
Given Kudos: 611
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Gnpth wrote:
Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.

A. Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.
B. Three most prominent record companies of all the ones that were involved in early jazz were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.
C. Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were, of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three of them that were most prominent.
D. Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were three most prominent of all the record companies involved in early jazz.
E. Out of all the record companies that were involved in early jazz, three of them that were the most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.

A.
- Correct.
- the prepositional phrase "of..." modifies the subject of the following clause "thee most prominent". it answer the question "most prominent out of what?
- Also, the use of "the" usually refers so something that is assumed by the writer to be known to the reader.
B.
- the lack of "the" is flawed.
- in the original sentence it conveyed a specific meaning.
- Example: "The girl with the black hat is my friend" or "girl with the black hat is my friend".
C.
X,Y and Z were the tree of them - this construction is redundant.
D.
- the lack of "the" is flawed.
- This constructed is very weird
- It will be phrased better as follows:X,Y and Z were the most prominent record companies involved in early jazz.
E.
- the use of "out of all companies, thee of them" is redundant (specifically "of them").
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM

Is the portion before the comma is a modifier ?? If yes, then what is it modifying? ==>"The three most prominent "

I am confused. Please someone explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
daagh

Hi,

If we rectify article "the" mistake in option D, can we mark D as a correct choice (Gmat prefers active voice over passive) ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ankitmining The GMAT does not prefer active voice. The passive form feels a bit different from D, but it's not wrong at all. It actually seems better to me, but I wouldn't say the active form in D is wrong at all. D would work alright if we added "the," although I'd cut "of all the" in that construction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM

Issue: Construction

A. Of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.

B. Three most prominent record companies of all the ones that were involved in early jazz were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.
- Missing "the"; superlative degree requires the form to be "the three most ..."
(corrected version can be: "The three most prominent record companies of the ones involved in early jazz were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh")

C. Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were, of all the record companies involved in early jazz, the three of them that were most prominent.
- "the three of them" is complex and awkward

D. Columbia, Victor, and OKeh were three most prominent of all the record companies involved in early jazz.
- Missing "the"; superlative degree requires the form to be "the most..."

E. Out of all the record companies that were involved in early jazz, three of them that were the most prominent were Columbia, Victor, and OKeh.
- "three of them" is complex and redundant as it uses the pronoun "of them" even though the clause before comma already states that "Out of all ..."

Answer: A
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Given Kudos: 503
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q162 V150
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
Where three most prominent companies is not preceded by a definite article, it is unidiomatic. To indicate that these three were more prominent than any others, it should say the three most prominent companies. If the intention were, instead, to indicate that these companies were merely among a number of highly prominent ones, it should say three of the most prominent companies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
Send PM
I eliminated A believing it has no subject, can someone please pinpoint what the subject is in (A)?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM