GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Oct 2018, 23:53
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:48) correct 28% (00:50) wrong based on 2473 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from smallpox.

(A) which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from
(B) causing only a mild illness, they become immune from
(C) which causes only a mild illness, they are immune to
(D) causing only a mild illness, they became immune from
(E) which caused only a mild illness, they would become immune to

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 735

https://www.nytimes.com/1979/02/04/archives/smallpox-is-not-dead.html

The research at the Atlanta lab had its beginnings in 1796 when an English country physician named Edward Jenner found that if a person was deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, he would be immune from smallpox. Although the practice of vaccinating people with cowpox spread quickly to other countries, smallpox maintained its hold on most of the world until the 20th century. Even after immunization against it became widespread in the industrialized nations, the majority of third‐world nations continued to suffer from it, at least until 1967, when an intensified international campaign was launched.

Jenner and Cowpox

(A) Verb (are)

(B) Modifier / Meaning (causing); Verb (become); Idiom (become immune from)

(C) Verb (are)

(D) Modifier / Meaning (causing); Verb (became); Idiom (became immune from)

(E) CORRECT

First glance

The beginning of each answer is either comma-which or comma-causing, indicating a modifier issue. Does this modifier refer just to the main noun before it or to the entire preceding clause?

Issues

(1) Modifier / Meaning: causing

In this problem, the issue that you spotted during the first glance might be a little tricky. Decide whether you want to start there or whether you want to start with anything else that you may have noticed as you read the original sentence.

Does the modifier (which caused only a mild illness) refer just to the main noun before it, cowpox? Or does the modifier (causing only a mild illness) refer to the entire preceding clause (if subjects were deliberately infected)?

If the modifier were referring to the entire previous clause, then the sentence would be saying that deliberately infecting someone causes only a mild illness, implying that the disease would be more severe if people caught it naturally. This is illogical; either way, the person still has the same disease. The modifier must be referring just to the noun cowpox. Eliminate choices (B) and (D) for an illogical meaning.

(2) Verb: are; become; became

The non-underlined portion of the sentence sets up a conditional structure: If subjects were deliberately infected…then what?

For the second half, answers (A), (B), and (C) use a present-tense verb (are or become). Were is in past tense, however, so present tense doesn't match. Eliminate choices (A), (B), and (C).

Choice (D) does use the simple past tense became, but even simple past is not good enough here. The were verb in the conditional structure indicates that the sentence is discussing an event that may or may not happen. This second action is conditional on the first action having already happened: If someone were deliberately infected, then that person would become immune. Eliminate (D) for a faulty verb tense match as well.

(3) Idiom: become / became immune from

The choices switch between immune from and immune to. Which is correct?

In general, immune to is acceptable to use. It is sometimes possible to use immune from, but become immune from is not acceptable. When using the word become, say become immune to. Eliminate choices (B) and (D) for a faulty idiom.

Note that answer (A) uses immune from but does not contain a form of the word become. This can arguably be acceptable; the OG solution does not call this out as incorrect, so assume that it is okay for the purposes of the GMAT.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (E) uses the noun modifier structure which caused to refer to the noun cowpox. This choice also uses the correct verb tense to finish the conditional structure: If someone were infected with cowpox, then that person would become immune to smallpox.

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Originally posted by AbdurRakib on 13 Jun 2017, 11:52.
Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Oct 2018, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 15:34
AbdurRakib wrote:
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from smallpox.

A. which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from
B. causing only a mild illness, they become immune from
C. which causes only a mild illness, they are immune to
D. causing only a mild illness, they became immune from
E. which caused only a mild illness, they would become immune to

Dear AbdurRakib,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is an excellent question about Edward Jenner (1749-1823), the man who conceived of the idea of vaccines.

This has a relatively straightforward solution.

Split #1: verb form
The first action, "if experimental subjects were . . . infected" is in the subjunctive. We have to match this in the second clause. The present "they are" or "they become" are out. The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Split #2: idiom
The correct idiom is "immune to," whereas "immune from" is 100% incorrect.

Because of both of these splits, the only possible answer is (E).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Most Helpful Community Reply
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Oct 2017, 03:54
Easy one.

If (simple past) , then (either simple past if event is fact / habit)
OR
If (simple past) , then (would +verb) in case of uncertainty.

Also causing in incorrectly used verb-ing modifier.
We need relative pronoun which to refer to
noun cowpox.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Originally posted by adkikani on 01 Jul 2017, 03:58.
Last edited by adkikani on 30 Oct 2017, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Jul 2017, 06:20
Imo E
Correct idiom is immune to
This is a conditional sentence so we have to use conditional structure for past .
Example
I am immune to insults or flattery .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Originally posted by arvind910619 on 13 Jun 2017, 23:05.
Last edited by arvind910619 on 13 Jul 2017, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 09:45
mikemcgarry wrote:

Hi Mike! Hope you've been well. :)

I thought it might be worthwhile clarifying your comment here, because it might sound like a statement of a general rule. It can definitely sometimes be correct to say "immune from". In a legal context, it is the only correct idiom:

"In Country X, diplomats are immune from prosecution for minor offenses"

Here, it would not be idiomatic to say "immune to". In the question in the original post above though, when talking about infection or disease, "immune to" is always correct. In other situations, I think either usage can be fine. Googling quickly, I saw a headline that read something like "Wall Street is not immune from the effects of the financial crisis", and there it seems to me "immune to" and "immune from" would both be acceptable.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 05:00
hi ameyaprabhu

I am not expert,but let me share my two cents.

By default, which and that
are noun modifiers and shall obey touch rule,
simply meaning the noun they modify must be placed as close as possible.

You may check an article by GMATNinja here

There are few exceptions as mentioned in above post. Do try to search for another
noun for which / that to modify only when closest noun does not make sense as in few OG examples in above post.

Coming to your query, I do not see a reason for which to jump over cowpox and modify experimental subjects.
Here if you read sentence closely - cowpox makes lots more sense to cause mild illness than any other noun.

Let me know if this helps!

Press kudos if you liked my solution!

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 03:10
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Hey mikemcgarry,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the question! Follow up query: isn't the past tense "they became immune" acceptable in this sentence? Because this research took place in the past, this situation is not hypothetical (necessitating the subjunctive), but rather conditional.

If he infected subjects with cowpox (and he did), then the subjects became immune to smallpox.

Here's a similar example:

Quote:
Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

(A) if Freud was to be allowed
(B) if Freud were allowed
(C) should Freud be allowed
(D) if they will allow Freud
(E) should allowance be made for Freud

The OA is (A) because, from a historically factual standpoint, Freud was and was always going to be allowed to leave Vienna - the Nazis just wanted the ransom first.

In our example with Jenner, of course, "would become" in choice (E) is acceptable, and (D) can be ruled out because of the unidiomatic use of "immune from." But I would argue that simple past tense in (D) would be preferred if not for the idiomatic error later in the sentence.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 09:56
NicoleJaneway wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Hey mikemcgarry,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the question! Follow up query: isn't the past tense "they became immune" acceptable in this sentence? Because this research took place in the past, this situation is not hypothetical (necessitating the subjunctive), but rather conditional.

If he infected subjects with cowpox (and he did), then the subjects became immune to smallpox.

Here's a similar example:

Quote:
Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

(A) if Freud was to be allowed
(B) if Freud were allowed
(C) should Freud be allowed
(D) if they will allow Freud
(E) should allowance be made for Freud

The OA is (A) because, from a historically factual standpoint, Freud was and was always going to be allowed to leave Vienna - the Nazis just wanted the ransom first.

In our example with Jenner, of course, "would become" in choice (E) is acceptable, and (D) can be ruled out because of the unidiomatic use of "immune from." But I would argue that simple past tense in (D) would be preferred if not for the idiomatic error later in the sentence.

Dear NicoleJaneway,

I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I commend you for asking a very intelligent and thoughtful question. :-)

In the first sentence about Jenner, the tense in the OA is necessary to indicate a time lag. We don't use this kind of inoculation any more, but if we did, inoculating someone today would mean that this person would become immune, not today, but in a few days. It's not instantaneous, and this time lag is significant to the situation.

Here's the sentence, as you suggest, with the simple past:
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they became immune to smallpox.
Technically, the implication of this is that getting the inoculation of cowpox and becoming immune to smallpox are absolutely simultaneous, as if the inoculation has an instantaneous body-wide effect, quicker than lightning. That's not consistent with the meaning of the situation and not realistic at all. Part of the information in the sentence is the time lag between these two events, and we need the conditional "would become" to indicate this.

In a way, what follows the verb "found" is a kind of indirect speech, and so we need to use the rules for sequences of tenses. Again, these rules would favor the use of the conditional over the simple past.

The other sentence, about Freud, is not quite the same. Here, there was no meaningful time lag. In other words, the Nazi's getting the ransom cash in their hot little hands and the granting of the permission for Freud to leave essentially would be simultaneous. For all intents and purposes, there was no meaningful time lag between these two events, so the verb is under no obligation to hold any kind of information about a time lag. That's why we the simple past is enough here.

My intelligent friend, does this make sense? I will be happy to answer any further questions you have or to listen to any additional points you would like to make.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

CEO
CEO
D
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Nov 2018, 10:29
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 735

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects . . .

We have a conditional sentence here, and with conditional sentences, we need to match up the tenses .

1st conditional:
If (simple present) then simple future
If something happens then something else will happen
EXAMPLES:
If Barb sells her car, then she will buy a scooter.
If you touch Neil’s feet, he will cry.

2nd conditional:
If (simple past) then (clause beginning with would)
If something happened then something would happen
EXAMPLES:
If Barb sold her car, then she would buy a scooter.
If you touched Neil’s feet, he would cry.

3rd conditional:
If (past perfect) then (clause beginning with would have)
If something had happened then something would have happened
EXAMPLES:
If Barb had sold her car, then she would have bought a scooter.
If you had touched Neil’s feet, he would have cried.

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox...
Here we have the simple past tense were infected (i.e., 2nd conditional), so the second half of this conditional must have a clause beginning with would

Only answer choice E has this structure.

Answer: E

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Originally posted by GMATPrepNow on 11 Dec 2017, 15:18.
Last edited by GMATPrepNow on 13 Nov 2018, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 11:55
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a close look at this question, and see where we can eliminate options quickly to get to the right answer! To get started, here is the original question with major differences between each option highlighted in orange:

After a quick glance over each option, a few major differences pop up:

1. immune from / immune to
2. are / become / became
3. caused / causing / causes

Let's start with #1 on our list: immune from vs. immune to. When talking about diseases, we say a person is "immune to" the disease, not "immune from" it. We can eliminate options A, B, and D because they use the incorrect "immune from."

This leaves us with only options C & E, so let's take a closer look at each option:

This option is INCORRECT because the non-underlined part of the sentence uses the past tense verb "found," so we need to use past tense verbs to match. Using the present tense "causes" and "are" aren't consistent with the intended meaning (that all of this happened in the past).

This is the CORRECT option because it uses consistent past tense verbs throughout, and it uses the correct form of "immune to" to refer to a disease.

There you go! Option E is the correct answer!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 490 Q39 V18
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 670 Q50 V31
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Oct 2018, 20:36
Usage of IF..THEN clauses -

Note - It is not mandatory to use "then" in an "IF THEN clause".
It can be - If...., then outcome
- If....., outcome.
- Outcome, If.....

Now coming to the main point-

1. IF CLAUSE --- SIMPLE PRESENT = THEN CLAUSE --- SIMPLE PRESENT OR SIMPLE FUTURE

2. IF CLAUSE --- SIMPLE PAST = THEN CLAUSE --- SIMPLE PAST OR WOULD + VERB

3. IF CLAUSE --- PAST PERFECT = THEN CLAUSE --- WOULD HAVE + VERB

Hope it helps.

Originally posted by blitzkriegxX on 03 Oct 2018, 00:06.
Last edited by blitzkriegxX on 23 Oct 2018, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 23:45
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

Dear AbdurRakib,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is an excellent question about Edward Jenner (1749-1823), the man who conceived of the idea of vaccines.

This has a relatively straightforward solution.

Split #1: verb form
The first action, "if experimental subjects were . . . infected" is in the subjunctive. We have to match this in the second clause. The present "they are" or "they become" are out. The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Because of both of these splits, the only possible answer is (E).

Does all this make sense?

Hi Mike, completely missed the idiom and misread the answers...
However, let's assume both D and E would use "immune to", would E still be the correct one? I guess D would be more accurate since it keeps the past tense.

Correct me if I m wrong :) thanks for your help!
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 17:53
Top Contributor
This question sounds more like the second conditional which stipulates that when we use simple past in the if clause, then we have to use the modal 'would' in the main clause, subjunctive or no subjunctive.

Since scientific postulates are more of universal facts and not fancies or speculatives, they can even be termed as either zero conditionals or first conditionals.

Look at the following sentences.

1. Scientists conclude that if experimental subjects are deliberately infected with cowpox, they are immune to smallpox. -- Zero conditional

2. Scientists conclude that if experimental subjects are deliberately infected with cowpox, they will be immune to smallpox. -- First conditional

3. Scientists concluded that when experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, they became immune to smallpox -- A simple indicative clause without any conditional or subjunctive.

4. Scientists concluded that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, they would become immune to smallpox-- Second conditional

As seen above, if we are going to include an 'if' in the subordinate clause, then the modal 'would' becomes imperative in the main clause. Therefore, Ans E is okay.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject &nbs [#permalink] 23 Oct 2018, 17:53

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap