It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 09:10

TODAY:

MIT Sloan Releasing 1st Wave of Interview Invites - Join GMATClub CHAT for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (00:52) correct 30% (00:51) wrong based on 1084 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 735

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from smallpox.

A. which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from
B. causing only a mild illness, they become immune from
C. which causes only a mild illness, they are immune to
D. causing only a mild illness, they became immune from
E. which caused only a mild illness, they would become immune to
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 15:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AbdurRakib wrote:
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from smallpox.

Dear AbdurRakib,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is an excellent question about Edward Jenner (1749-1823), the man who conceived of the idea of vaccines.

This has a relatively straightforward solution.

Split #1: verb form
The first action, "if experimental subjects were . . . infected" is in the subjunctive. We have to match this in the second clause. The present "they are" or "they become" are out. The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Split #2: idiom
The correct idiom is "immune to," whereas "immune from" is 100% incorrect.

Because of both of these splits, the only possible answer is (E).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 23:05
This post received
KUDOS
Imo E
Correct idiom is immune to
This is a conditional sentence so we have to use conditional structure for past .
Example
I am immune to insults or flattery .

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Last edited by arvind910619 on 13 Jul 2017, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
P
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
Easy one.

If (simple past) , then (either simple past if event is fact / habit)
OR
If (simple past) , then (would +verb) in case of uncertainty.

Also causing in incorrectly used verb-ing modifier.
We need relative pronoun which to refer to
noun cowpox.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Last edited by adkikani on 30 Oct 2017, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 20:07

Its a Hypothetical case construction in which if "IF" part contains past tense then "Then" part must contain Would. only option with would is E.

If you want to appreciate, just click on Kudos.

Manager
Manager
B
Re: The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 09:07
I may be a little off on my basics here, but can someone please clarify the use of 'which' in the correct option:

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they would become immune to smallpox.

As per my understanding, 'which' is supposed to clarify the closest noun, i.e. 'cowpox', but then this would mean that the cowpox caused only a mild illness, and not the act of deliberately infecting experimental subjects.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 09:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:

Hi Mike! Hope you've been well. :)

I thought it might be worthwhile clarifying your comment here, because it might sound like a statement of a general rule. It can definitely sometimes be correct to say "immune from". In a legal context, it is the only correct idiom:

"In Country X, diplomats are immune from prosecution for minor offenses"

Here, it would not be idiomatic to say "immune to". In the question in the original post above though, when talking about infection or disease, "immune to" is always correct. In other situations, I think either usage can be fine. Googling quickly, I saw a headline that read something like "Wall Street is not immune from the effects of the financial crisis", and there it seems to me "immune to" and "immune from" would both be acceptable.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 02:13
Hi ameyaprabhu

Quote:
and not the act of deliberately infecting experimental subjects.

What do you mean by this? Could you elaborate further?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 04:29
adkikani wrote:
Hi ameyaprabhu

Quote:
and not the act of deliberately infecting experimental subjects.

What do you mean by this? Could you elaborate further?

My confusion is with what is 'which' modifying here, or what is it that "caused only a mild illness": - did cowpox cause a mild illness, or is it when experimental subjects were deliberately infected caused a mild illness?
1 KUDOS received
P
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
hi ameyaprabhu

I am not expert,but let me share my two cents.

By default, which and that
are noun modifiers and shall obey touch rule,
simply meaning the noun they modify must be placed as close as possible.

You may check an article by GMATNinja here

There are few exceptions as mentioned in above post. Do try to search for another
noun for which / that to modify only when closest noun does not make sense as in few OG examples in above post.

Coming to your query, I do not see a reason for which to jump over cowpox and modify experimental subjects.
Here if you read sentence closely - cowpox makes lots more sense to cause mild illness than any other noun.

Let me know if this helps!

Press kudos if you liked my solution!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 22:19
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

Dear AbdurRakib,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is an excellent question about Edward Jenner (1749-1823), the man who conceived of the idea of vaccines.

This has a relatively straightforward solution.

Split #1: verb form
The first action, "if experimental subjects were . . . infected" is in the subjunctive. We have to match this in the second clause. The present "they are" or "they become" are out. The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Because of both of these splits, the only possible answer is (E).

Does all this make sense?

Hi Experts,

I have one question regarding the if then construction here. I understand the if ... were injected warrants a "would be" tense in the sentence when there is uncertainty. Do you happen to know what introduces uncertainty. I often times get confused with this because when I see an if statement I always assume uncertainty and dont ever see generality.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 03:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Hey mikemcgarry,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the question! Follow up query: isn't the past tense "they became immune" acceptable in this sentence? Because this research took place in the past, this situation is not hypothetical (necessitating the subjunctive), but rather conditional.

If he infected subjects with cowpox (and he did), then the subjects became immune to smallpox.

Here's a similar example:

Quote:
Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

(A) if Freud was to be allowed
(B) if Freud were allowed
(C) should Freud be allowed
(D) if they will allow Freud
(E) should allowance be made for Freud

The OA is (A) because, from a historically factual standpoint, Freud was and was always going to be allowed to leave Vienna - the Nazis just wanted the ransom first.

In our example with Jenner, of course, "would become" in choice (E) is acceptable, and (D) can be ruled out because of the unidiomatic use of "immune from." But I would argue that simple past tense in (D) would be preferred if not for the idiomatic error later in the sentence.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 09:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NicoleJaneway wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
AbdurRakib wrote:

The past tense "they became" is a little closer, but the only one that is correct, also in the subjunctive, is "they would become."

Hey mikemcgarry,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the question! Follow up query: isn't the past tense "they became immune" acceptable in this sentence? Because this research took place in the past, this situation is not hypothetical (necessitating the subjunctive), but rather conditional.

If he infected subjects with cowpox (and he did), then the subjects became immune to smallpox.

Here's a similar example:

Quote:
Maria Bonaparte put up the ransom that the Nazis insisted on if Freud was to be allowed to leave Vienna.

(A) if Freud was to be allowed
(B) if Freud were allowed
(C) should Freud be allowed
(D) if they will allow Freud
(E) should allowance be made for Freud

The OA is (A) because, from a historically factual standpoint, Freud was and was always going to be allowed to leave Vienna - the Nazis just wanted the ransom first.

In our example with Jenner, of course, "would become" in choice (E) is acceptable, and (D) can be ruled out because of the unidiomatic use of "immune from." But I would argue that simple past tense in (D) would be preferred if not for the idiomatic error later in the sentence.

Dear NicoleJaneway,

I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I commend you for asking a very intelligent and thoughtful question. :-)

In the first sentence about Jenner, the tense in the OA is necessary to indicate a time lag. We don't use this kind of inoculation any more, but if we did, inoculating someone today would mean that this person would become immune, not today, but in a few days. It's not instantaneous, and this time lag is significant to the situation.

Here's the sentence, as you suggest, with the simple past:
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they became immune to smallpox.
Technically, the implication of this is that getting the inoculation of cowpox and becoming immune to smallpox are absolutely simultaneous, as if the inoculation has an instantaneous body-wide effect, quicker than lightning. That's not consistent with the meaning of the situation and not realistic at all. Part of the information in the sentence is the time lag between these two events, and we need the conditional "would become" to indicate this.

In a way, what follows the verb "found" is a kind of indirect speech, and so we need to use the rules for sequences of tenses. Again, these rules would favor the use of the conditional over the simple past.

The other sentence, about Freud, is not quite the same. Here, there was no meaningful time lag. In other words, the Nazi's getting the ransom cash in their hot little hands and the granting of the permission for Freud to leave essentially would be simultaneous. For all intents and purposes, there was no meaningful time lag between these two events, so the verb is under no obligation to hold any kind of information about a time lag. That's why we the simple past is enough here.

My intelligent friend, does this make sense? I will be happy to answer any further questions you have or to listen to any additional points you would like to make.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Expert Post
Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
P

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 15:18
Expert's post
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018
Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 735

E. which caused only a mild illness, they [color=#0000ff]would[/color] become immune to

With conditional sentences, we typically need only match up the tenses .

1st conditional:
If (simple present) then simple future
If something happens then something else will happen
EXAMPLES:
If Barb sells her car, then she will buy a scooter.
If you touch Neil’s feet, he will cry.

2nd conditional:
If (simple past) then (clause beginning with would)
If something happened then something would happen
EXAMPLES:
If Barb sold her car, then she would buy a scooter.
If you touched Neil’s feet, he would cry.

3rd conditional:
If (past perfect) then (clause beginning with would have)
If something had happened then something would have happened
EXAMPLES:
If Barb had sold her car, then she would have bought a scooter.
If you had touched Neil’s feet, he would have cried.

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox...
Here we have the simple past tense were infected (i.e., 2nd conditional), so we need the second half of this conditional to have a clause beginning with would
Only answer choice E has this structure.

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – Founder of gmatprepnow.com

Re: The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2017, 15:18

The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap