GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 01:25
Here is a similar question from GMAT Pill E Book and according to them the answer is B . Phew!

I think their e book is quite confusing. Any comments?
Attachments

gmatpill2.PNG
gmatpill2.PNG [ 80.56 KiB | Viewed 3687 times ]

It is not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me.

Math Expert
V
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2016, 04:44
KarishmaParmar wrote:
Here is a similar question from GMAT Pill E Book and according to them the answer is B . Phew!

I think their e book is quite confusing. Any comments?

Hi,
the answer cannot be B, because of following reasons..
1) parallelism..
if in non underlined portion we are saying " top priority of students", it should be followed with of earlier generations..
There is no reason to change from "for' to "of"..

2) what can "that" stand for..
top priority:-
replace and see if it makes sense..
...graduating is a top property for students, as top property for earlier generations..

3) in the present structure, 'as' should introduce a subordinate clause..
so it requires a subject and verb..

Now WHAT to do with the book..
Any source should be able to duplicate a Q of OG correctly...

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2016, 11:32
Dark_Horse wrote:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a free standing house on its own land is still a goal of majority of young adults, like that of earlier generation.

a. like that of earlier generations.
b. as that of earlier generation.
c. just as earlier generations did.
d. as have earlier generations.
e. as it was of earlier generations.

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a free standing house on its own land is still a goal of majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

Correct answer must be (E) for the highlighted errors in other options...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 20:26
Hi expert,
can pronoun it refer to the action "owning and living" ?
I boiled down to A and E,and chose A instead.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 09:17
tiwabhaskar wrote:
I chose B.

....Goal of majority of young adults, as goal (that) of earlier generation.

please point out the error here.

In B, the parallelism is not maintained.

X is still a goal of present generation, as goal of past generation... a clause (blue font) is wrongly compared to a noun phrase ( pink font).

In E, parallelism is maintained properly between two clauses.
X is still a goal of present generation, as it was of past generation.
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 09:25
nuttyxtreme wrote:
Hi expert,
can pronoun it refer to the action "owning and living" ?
I boiled down to A and E,and chose A instead.

The noun phrase "owning and living in a free standing house" is one entity (a goal), not two actions. Since this is an official question, it can be seen that GMAT allows a complete noun phrase as antecedent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 08:53
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a free standing house on its own land is still a goal of majority of young adults, like that of earlier generation.

a. like that of earlier generations.
b. as that of earlier generation.change meaning
c. just as earlier generations did.
d. as have earlier generations.
e. as it was of earlier generations.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 10:45
iMyself wrote:
Hi Expert,
Hope you're all well. Here the correct answer is E. Can you help me by saying what ''it'' and ''its'' refers to in this sentence, please? I mean what is the antecedent of these 2 things?
Thank you...
The its goes to house (a freestanding house on its own land). The it refers to owning and living.

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 11:37
Quote:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations

AjiteshArun wrote:
iMyself wrote:
Hi Expert,
Hope you're all well. Here the correct answer is E. Can you help me by saying what ''it'' and ''its'' refers to in this sentence, please? I mean what is the antecedent of these 2 things?
Thank you...
The its goes to house (a freestanding house on its own land). The it refers to owning and living.

Thank you for your kind response. But, if we replace owning and living with it, then the whole sentence becomes:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, as owning and living was of earlier generations.. Does the RED part indicate any goal of earlier generation?
This sentence doesn't make sense to me yet. Does this sentence make sense to you brother?
Thanks again for your kind response.

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 23:33
iMyself wrote:
Thank you for your kind response. But, if we replace owning and living with it, then the whole sentence becomes:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, as owning and living was of earlier generations.. Does the RED part indicate any goal of earlier generation?
This sentence doesn't make sense to me yet. Does this sentence make sense to you brother?
I should have been clearer: the it points to the entire phrase with owning and living at its head. That is, the it points to owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land. Let's refer to that entire bit as XYZ.

XYZ is a still a goal of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

XYZ is a still a goal of young adults, as XYZ was (a goal) of earlier generations.
The a goal bit is understood.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 00:37
AjiteshArun wrote:
I should have been clearer: the it points to the entire phrase with owning and living at its head. That is, the it points to owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land. Let's refer to that entire bit as XYZ.

XYZ is a still a goal of young adults, as XYZ was (a goal) of earlier generations.
The a goal bit is understood.[/quote]
How a little pronoun (it) refers a giant things ( owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land)?
also, how should we know that there is a ''goal'' in the second part which is implied?
What is the rules to know all stuff?
Thank you...

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”

SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 01:36
iMyself wrote:
How a little pronoun (it) refers a giant things ( owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land)?
also, how should we know that there is a ''goal'' in the second part which is implied?
What is the rules to know all stuff?
Thank you...
It's perfectly normal. For example, in switching on a TV during a storm is dangerous because it could lead to electric shocks, the it refers to the whole thing (switching on a TV during a storm). So what is dangerous? Not switching on a TV (generally), but switching on a TV during a storm.

As for all the rules, you should practice as much as possible and expose yourself to as much GMAT material as you can.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 10:06
AjiteshArun wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Many many thanks for your nice explanation.

Off-topic:

Do you think the following sentence is correct regarding comparison?
Nowadays online education is more organized than before.
N.B.: It is urgent brother.

Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 06:25
iMyself wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
iMyself wrote:

Many many thanks for your nice explanation.

Off-topic:

Do you think the following sentence is correct regarding comparison?
Nowadays online education is more organized than before.
N.B.: It is urgent brother.

No, it is not. You may omit parts in parallel structure only if they already occur in the sentence. Here the sentence without omission is:
Nowadays online education is more organized than (it was) before.

The verb "was" does not occur in the sentence and hence cannot be omitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 06:58
misanguyen2010 wrote:
According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.
A. like that of earlier generations
B. as that of for earlier generations
C. just as earlier generations did
D. as have earlier generations
E. as it was of earlier generations

Could you please help me explain the following points?
1. Does the possessive pronoun 'its' stand for freestanding house?
2. Within my limit knowledge, the underlined part = like a goal of earlier generations. Is it right? If not, could you explain for me?
3. I am confused between A and E. Are their meaning different from each other?

Thank you very much.

Hi,
This is an OG question . Like is used to compare nouns whereas as is used for phrases . To know what we are comparing here is important. The goal of young adults to live in own house is compared with earlier generations.

A. like that of earlier generations
Like can not be used here .

B. as that of for earlier generations
'of for' wrong usage

C. just as earlier generations did
not logically parallel

D. as have earlier generations
not logically parallel

E. as it was of earlier generations
here it correctly refers to 'goal' and make the comparison logically and structurally parallel

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2017, 00:43
ssandeepan wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 85
Page: 744

(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations

First Glance

The underline is very short; compare the answer choices before reading the original sentence. The first answer uses like while others use as; a comparison is being tested.

Issues

(1) Comparison: like that; as that; did; have

The like versus as split in the answers indicates that the sentence contains a comparison. What is the comparison? Also check the comparison for parallelism.

The sentence compares two groups: young adults today and those of earlier generations. The heart of the comparison is the fact that owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is a goal of both groups. In other words, the full comparison itself is a clause, so as should be used to make the comparison (like is used to compare nouns). Further, as is used to compare two clauses but the second half of the comparison in answer (B) does not include a verb. Eliminate answers (A) and (B).

Answers (C), (D), and (E) all correctly use as and include a verb in the second half of the comparison. Which is correct? Parallelism still rules the day. Owning and living is a goal today as owning and living was a goal in the past.

Answer (C) uses the verb did; the earlier generations did a goal?
Answer (D) uses the verb have; owning and living have earlier generations?

Neither makes sense. Eliminate answers (C) and (D).

Note that was and is are different tenses, but the clauses are still parallel. The simple past tense was is appropriate for something that was a goal of young adults in past generations, just as the simple present is reflects something that is a goal of young adults now.

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (E) offers a parallel structure for the comparison. The pronoun it refers to the noun phrase owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land, the verb was is parallel to the verb is.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 13:25

(A) like that of earlier generations ==> Missing verb (Making this sentence as phrase)

(B) as that for earlier generations ==> Missing verb (Making this sentence as phrase)

(C) just as earlier generations did ==> Earlier generations did not do "goals"

(D) as have earlier generations ==> Not parallel to "is"

(E) as it was of earlier generations ==> CORRECT

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 14:34
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

OK, let 's take a deeper look here:

You have two ideas in this sentence.

1. Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults.

2. Living in a freestanding house on its own land was a goal of earlier generations.

In order to create a comparison we have to maintain all of the elements in both ideas. So we end up with this:

Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults as living in a freestanding house on its own land was a goal of earlier generations.

Repeat nouns can be replaced by it/that. In general IT can replace an entire phrase while THAT replaces only a piece. In the example above THAT could replace A GOAL but cannot replace LIVING IN A FREESTANDING HOUSE ON ITS OWN LAND.

An example of correct usage of THAT: The goal of the Giants is the same as THAT of the Jets: to win the Superbowl (That replaces the goal)

An example of correct usage of IT: Winning the super bowl is the goal of the Giants as IT is of the Jets. (IT replaces winning the superbowl)

The second example is very similar to the GMAT question.

So let's replace our noun phrase LIVING IN A FREESTANDING HOUSE ON ITS OWN LAND with IT.

Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults as it was a goal of earlier generations.

Last but not least "a goal" is implied so we can omit it.

Living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults as it was of earlier generations.

I hope that this resolves our concerns.

HG.

Such a beautiful and crystal clear reply.
Re: According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 14:34

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 39 posts ] 

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap