It is currently 18 Jan 2018, 03:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Johnson (Cornell) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.55
Re: Calling all Johnson (Cornell) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 08:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shutter_Stock wrote:
saadim wrote:
no not invited

Was this for Round 3? This week has been a sea of rejects for me too.

I am in the same boat. Feel like all hard work have been useless.??

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3953 [0], given: 2513

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Calling all Johnson (Cornell) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 08:56
Hi Guys,

Following members of Cornell admissions team will participate in tomorrow's live chat...

• Ann Richards, Senior Associate Director of Admissions & Director of Financial Aid
  • Lindsay Martin, Assistant Director of Admissions
  • Christopher Lind, Admissions Officer

See you all in the chat tomorrow.

Narenn wrote:
Tuesday, Feb 28: Live Q&A with Cornell Adcoms! (Last Live Chat of this Application Season)

Dear Applicants, We will conduct a live chat with members of Cornell admissions team on Tuesday, Feb 28. We hope all of you will attend this chat. If anyone can't attend the session but has questions for adcoms, you can PM your questions to me and I will try to get their answers from adcoms. Thank you! See y'all in the event.

February 28, 2017 | Tuesday | 8:30 AM Pacific Time; 11:30 AM Eastern Time; 4:30 PM GMT | Place:GMAT Club Chat Room
Add this event to your Google calendar

Attachment:
Cornell Chat.png
Cornell Chat.png [ 62.24 KiB | Viewed 3086 times ]

Interested in applying to Tuck next year (or in our April Round)? Ask all of your questions about Tuck in live chat with Tuck adcom this Thursday

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Re: Calling all Johnson (Cornell) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 08:13
Cornell adcom chat is starting in 10 minutes. Join us in the chat room if you have any questions for Cornell adcoms. http://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat.php?fl=menu

Narenn wrote:
Hi Guys,

Following members of Cornell admissions team will participate in tomorrow's live chat...

• Ann Richards, Senior Associate Director of Admissions & Director of Financial Aid
  • Lindsay Martin, Assistant Director of Admissions
  • Christopher Lind, Admissions Officer

See you all in the chat tomorrow.

Narenn wrote:
Tuesday, Feb 28: Live Q&A with Cornell Adcoms! (Last Live Chat of this Application Season)

Dear Applicants, We will conduct a live chat with members of Cornell admissions team on Tuesday, Feb 28. We hope all of you will attend this chat. If anyone can't attend the session but has questions for adcoms, you can PM your questions to me and I will try to get their answers from adcoms. Thank you! See y'all in the event.

February 28, 2017 | Tuesday | 8:30 AM Pacific Time; 11:30 AM Eastern Time; 4:30 PM GMT | Place:GMAT Club Chat Room
Add this event to your Google calendar

Attachment:
Cornell Chat.png

Interested in applying to Tuck next year (or in our April Round)? Ask all of your questions about Tuck in live chat with Tuck adcom this Thursday

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 23:44
Select Questions and Answers from Cornell live chat. Thank you all for participating.

Q: I applied in January (Round 3) and my application is still Under Review. At this point, are more interview invitations going out given that decisions are coming out mid-March?

A: We are still sending out invitations to interview - please don’t worry. I know I still have files left to read in my queue.

Q: Is it a ding if one is yet to receive any response for the January Round yet?

A: The Admissions Committee is still working through the January round applications. We guarantee initial notification by March 15, 2017.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about what happens after the candidate’s interview, in terms of evaluating within the admissions team? Does it go to a vote, second reading etc?

A: Great question! Once a candidate has been interviewed that completes their admissions application file. The application then moves on to final review by the Admissions Committee. Admissions decisions are released on a rolling basis. They try and provide admissions decisions as quickly as possible, however it can take up to 3 - 4 weeks.

Q: What is the average time from an interview until a candidate can expect to hear the decision?

A: Once an applicant has interviewed, their application is then complete. It then is sent on for final review by the Admissions Committee who release decisions on a rolling basis. It can take 3 - 4 weeks for a decision to be released , however they work hard to provide decisions as quickly as possible.

Q: What are some of the common trends that you see in candidates who receive an invitation to interview despite having a lower than average test score or GPA? Do you find that the applicant uses the Optional essay to prove their academic abilities or display their differences which can ultimately separate themselves from a large majority of candidates?

A: Generally speaking, candidates who are invited to interview with lower scores have other strengths in their application - outstanding work experience, a track record of success professionally or other attributes which will add value to their classmates.

Q: During the interview, if I encounter some questions to which I don’t have good answers at that moment, would it be okay to ask for another question?

A: Great question! Our interviews are really conversational - I think it’s fine to ask for a few seconds to think about an answer. of if it’s a question you don’t want to answer, say you’re uncomfortable answering that question.

Q: If I am applying before the March 15 deadline, does it provide any advantage to apply earlier than deadline? Will my application be evaluated earlier?

A: If you submit a complete application prior to the application deadline, it will be placed into the read queue. So the sooner you submit, it’s likely the sooner your application will be reviewed.

Q: Do applicants typically utilize the optional essay? If yes, for what specific purpose (e.g. weak area in application, etc.)?

A: The optional essay can be used to bring attention to parts of the application that might not otherwise have been addressed - an example would be gaps on a resume. Re-applicants also use this essay to highlight improvements made to their application.

Q: In the impact essay, do we have to write about how we are going to impact during our study or what opportunities we have identified at Johnson to create impact in the future based on our career goals and interests?

A: You can approach this question from either perspective. I like to see that candidates know how they will the resources available at Johnson and how they can help them achieve their goals.

Q: I have one question regarding the community activities essay...what are you looking at in this ...for example in my case I have not done much community work.

A: We are interested in how you spend your time and talents. Additionally, you can add personal and professional achievements and accomplishments.

Q: For international applicants, do their relative profile strength is compared to similar intl profiles or the whole applicant pool?

A: We are interested in building the diversity of our student body - diversity of person, place, thought and interest. Additionally, international students are evaluated based on their peer group and strength in the applicant pool. We are sensitive to GMAT differences by region, ect. Above all, admissions is holistic which means we are evaluated all factors including test scores, work experience, fit for Johnson, recommendations, goals, etc.

Q: Do you predict that students who opt for the Traditional 2 Year MBA Program in Ithaca will have the opportunity to spend a semester at Cornell’s Tech Campus on Roosevelt Island within the next couple of years?

A: Yes, two year students will have the option to spend a full semester or partial semester (7 weeks) at the Cornell Tech campus in the two-year program.

Q: Is there any upper limit on number of work experience for 2- Year MBA program?

A: No, however it is possible that candidates with extensive work experience would be a better fit for the EMBA program.

Q: How much of a liability is work experience that is strictly technical with little client facing?

A: Technical work experience is not a negative in the application process. It’s helpful if you can identify skills in your current job that may be transferable into the career you want to move into - so for instance, good team skills, or leading a multicultural team.

Q: How are candidates assessed for scholarships?

A: Merit Scholarship recipients are selected by an Admissions Scholarship Committee. The same criteria are used to determine merit as are used to evaluate applicants for admission: demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, prior academic performance, exam scores, the range and depth of work experience, writing skills, interpersonal skills, extracurricular and community involvement, recommendations, previous achievements, focus and goals.

Q: Do you have an idea of how many students pursue a Customized Immersion and any examples of them?

A: The number of students enrolled in a customized immersion varies from year to year, but it’s around 10% of the class.

Q: What are the MBA programs that Johnson has a heavy cross-over with (i.e. students routinely applying to those programs as well)?

A: Cornell is situated in a large research institution so MBAs are taking graduate courses all over! MBAs can take up to 25 credits within the SC Johnson College of Business which is includes the Hotel School and the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management. Additionally, Johnson students take courses in real estate, law, engineering, labor relations, HR - options are limitless!

Q: In the application, what is considered an appropriate level of specificity with regards to future career goals? (for eg. contrast between a general desire to enter management consulting vs. a specific desire to be a VP in a specific domain at McKinsey in London)

A: You don’t need a laser focus on your career - you should be prepared to address why you think consulting is the right career for you and perhaps the types of consulting you are interested in (HR, Financial, Management). You should also be prepared to speak to your career goals and target employers if you are interviewed.

Q: What is something that people can’t find on website about Cornell? In the impression of adcom, what is the best kept secret at Cornell that is a real gem there but is not that well known?

A: I think the culture of an MBA program is difficult to capture on a website. We really encourage candidates to visit campus if at all possible. If you visit campus you can meet with students, attend a class, tour the school and Cornell campus. If you can’t visit, reach out to current students who share similar interests through club activities.

Q: If you could provide top 5 reasons why Johnson stands out as an MBA program and similarly, what distinguishes Johnson when it comes to internship/full employment opportunities?

A: I think the top reasons vary from candidate to candidate - I think fit is the most important factor in choosing the program thats right for you. Employment data is a historical snapshot and as they say with investments - past performance is not a guarantee of future return. If you choose the program that’s the right fit for you, you’ll get the most out of the program and will be prepared to pursue you’re goals.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 09:27
Clear Admit live wire reports one interview invite yesterday!! Late in the game, but hey.. it is there.
As it seems, they are overwhelmed with applications (number and quality - as it seems), they are running late. Better they come up with a strategy to communicate with applicants, delaying dates, etc.
Anyone in the same boat? I applied in Jan round - on deadline and haven't heard anything. I am mentally prepared for a ding, but any ray of hope kind of tingles!!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 14:14
My application status has changed to 'schedule interview' but I have not received any mail from the school. Anyone else facing the same issue?

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 14:21
anamika.srivastava wrote:
My application status has changed to 'schedule interview' but I have not received any mail from the school. Anyone else facing the same issue?

Hi Anamika.
Can you please let us know when did you apply and GMAT / GRE?

To answer your question, this year Cornell is way behind - as it seems and I am sure you are not the only one facing the issue. You will receive your invite in due time and congratulations on that.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 15:56

I faced the exact same issue during my invite to interview.
Drop an email or call the admissions office. They'll promptly send out the email that should have been triggered with the change in status.

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 85

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 17:08
perfervid89 wrote:

Drop an email or call the admissions office. They'll promptly send out the email that should have been triggered with the change in status.

Happened to me as well mate - just wait - it will come.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:33
hiren2011 wrote:

Hi Anamika.
Can you please let us know when did you apply and GMAT / GRE?

To answer your question, this year Cornell is way behind - as it seems and I am sure you are not the only one facing the issue. You will receive your invite in due time and congratulations on that.

Thank you. I applied through GMAT.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 11:34
bb10 wrote:
perfervid89 wrote:

Happened to me as well mate - just wait - it will come.

Thank you. Received the mail just now.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 03:08
I also received an invitation a few minutes ago.

Sent from my SM-G925F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 11:01
Finally..
That dreaded DING.
Was prepared,
But, does it STING!!

Ohh well, it is a closure. Slight disappointment, but nothing that cuts deep. Rather, I wouldn't want it to define my day.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 12:15
hiren2011 wrote:
Finally..
That dreaded DING.
Was prepared,
But, does it STING!!

Ohh well, it is a closure. Slight disappointment, but nothing that cuts deep. Rather, I wouldn't want it to define my day.

Sorry man! Hope you get into other schools on your list.

Manager
Manager
B

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2017, 12:27
perfervid89 wrote:
hiren2011 wrote:
Finally..
That dreaded DING.
Was prepared,
But, does it STING!!

Sorry man! Hope you get into other schools on your list.

Thanks for the kind words buddy.
But I am okay!! :P
Just another day at the office, I guess.

Retired Moderator
S

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 06:51
it's been almost 4 weeks since my interview - am I out?

Cornell-Johnson Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
WE: Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 07:14
Waitlisted at Cornell. Purgatory awaits dark and cold. Will take restock of the situation post other results.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.57
WE: Architecture (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 07:29
shutter_Stock wrote:
Waitlisted at Cornell. Purgatory awaits dark and cold. Will take restock of the situation post other results.

I am waitlisted at Cornell as well.

I wonder what I can do to improve my candidacy. I am not retaking my GMAT- I won't be able to score more.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 07:37
Did you interview or wait listed without interview?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.57
WE: Architecture (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 08:41
rraghun wrote:
Did you interview or wait listed without interview?

without

Re: Calling all Johnson (Cornell) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2017, 08:41

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20    Next  [ 382 posts ] 

Calling all Johnson (Cornell) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap