GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 14:24
Here's a very generic advice, exceptions apply. :)
If you are from an oversubscribed group like {Indian Male Engineer}/{White Male Finance}, you might be better off applying in R1.
If you aren't able to put in a good application before September, think about R2 or R1 of next year.
Don't even think about R3 unless you have a Nobel prize or you have an intriguing life story.
rahul16singh28 wrote:
Hi All,

How do we decide whether our Profile is good for R1 or R2 or R3? Can anyone please shed some light on this.

I am an Indian Applicant with 7 Years of Experience in Utility Sector and looking forward to Submit my Application this Year.
BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 14:28

Upcoming On-campus events

Visit Knight: Saturday, 8 September 2018, 1:00pm - 5:45pm

Meet Stanford GSB alumni, students, faculty, and staff while learning more about the Stanford MBA Program.
Register for Visit Knight: http://www.tfaforms.com/forms/view/4469 ... &tfa_1975=

Diversity in Leadership: Saturday, 15 September 2018, 9:00am - 3:45pm

At this event featuring minority and LGBTQ perspectives, you will meet Stanford GSB alumni, students, faculty, and staff. All are welcome to attend.
Register for Diversity in Leadership: http://www.tfaforms.com/forms/view/4469 ... &tfa_1975=

Women in Leadership: Sunday, 16 September 2018, 9:00am - 3:45pm

Meet Stanford GSB alumni, students, faculty, and staff at this event focused on women considering business school. All are welcome to attend.
Register for Women in Leadership: http://www.tfaforms.com/forms/view/4469 ... &tfa_1975=
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 19:25
I was actually going to write the exact same thing. With out additional background, this is definitely the same advice I would give.

MV23 wrote:
Here's a very generic advice, exceptions apply. :)
If you are from an oversubscribed group like {Indian Male Engineer}/{White Male Finance}, you might be better off applying in R1.
If you aren't able to put in a good application before September, think about R2 or R1 of next year.
Don't even think about R3 unless you have a Nobel prize or you have an intriguing life story.
rahul16singh28 wrote:
Hi All,

How do we decide whether our Profile is good for R1 or R2 or R3? Can anyone please shed some light on this.

I am an Indian Applicant with 7 Years of Experience in Utility Sector and looking forward to Submit my Application this Year.

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Aug 2018, 11:56

!
Moderator Note: Post Removed. Do not post profile evaluation requests in Bschool discussions. We have dedicated profile evaluation threads for all major schools. Alternatively you can also post profile related questions in Ask admission consultants forum.

Originally posted by ABBBCCCCC on 24 Jul 2018, 11:57.
Last edited by Narenn on 01 Aug 2018, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Mod warning
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 15:44
Anyone got started on the essays?

What matters most to you and why?
Why Stanford?
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 08:49
Good luck to all! The best advice I can give for these essays is,

For A: Be honest and don't say what you think they want to hear. They can detect BS a mile away. Whatever you're claiming is most important to you, you need a solid story that explains WHY it's most important, and then you should have 2-3 examples showing how you've since done things about What Matters Most. Show them you are walking the walk. If you say that saving the environment matters most but have never been involved with any organization that attempts to fight climate change, for example, that would raise a red flag.

For B: This is a career goal essay in disguise. Tell them what you want to do in the future (and WHY) and then specifically (key word!) what you'll do at Stanford to help you reach those goals. General statements about it being near Silicon Valley and having small class sizes and whatnot are things literally anyone could write. Make it specific to YOU and your goals.

Hope that helps!

MV23 wrote:

Why Stanford?

I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

BSchool Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 21:57
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

For A: Be honest and don't say what you think they want to hear. They can detect BS a mile away. Whatever you're claiming is most important to you, you need a solid story that explains WHY it's most important, and then you should have 2-3 examples showing how you've since done things about What Matters Most. Show them you are walking the walk. If you say that saving the environment matters most but have never been involved with any organization that attempts to fight climate change, for example, that would raise a red flag.

For B: This is a career goal essay in disguise. Tell them what you want to do in the future (and WHY) and then specifically (key word!) what you'll do at Stanford to help you reach those goals. General statements about it being near Silicon Valley and having small class sizes and whatnot are things literally anyone could write. Make it specific to YOU and your goals.

Hope that helps!

MV23 wrote:

Why Stanford?

This is very helpful. Thank you.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 03:46
Hope everyone is getting on well with the applications and essays!
I was admitted last year in R2 and received a huge amount of help from this forum, both to prepare my GMAT and my applications.
If you would like help, please write to me directly, I'll be happy to give my advice.
Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 21:54
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Hope that helps!

MV23 wrote:

Why Stanford?

For essay B, how specific should I be? Is it ok to name courses/clubs/initiatives or should I answer more broadly?
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 08:33
Oh you DEFINITELY want to be specific. Course names, a professor you'd like to study under, alums you'd want to network with at target companies, clubs you want to join, conferences you want to help out with/attend, etc. Half the response should be your career goals and WHY you have them, and the next half should be specifics about how Stanford will help you fill your gaps and reach those goals. Don't say anything general that anyone else could say!

mirelark wrote:
SBCErikaOlson wrote:

Hope that helps!

MV23 wrote:

Why Stanford?

For essay B, how specific should I be? Is it ok to name courses/clubs/initiatives or should I answer more broadly?

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 07:40
How to prove work experience as a self employed in an unregistered firm?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.8
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 08:00
joicegumala wrote:
Hi everyone! So excited to see so much enthusiasm for MBA :)

I am Joice Gumala, MBA student at London Business School and Founder of MBA Mentor. I know exactly what you are going through when applying to many business schools two years ago: researching the schools, speaking with current students and alumni, rewriting and revising your CV & essay, preparing for GMAT and so on. The list is endless! It's so tiring and it takes a lot of time and effort.

My friends and I have launched a website to help applicants (particularly from emerging markets) to deal with these issues. When you order a service with us, you will be assigned to a mentor (current student from your dream school), who will guide and support you through your application journey. If you are interested, check out this link: https://www.mbamentor.org/ or send an email to info@mbamentor.org. You can also book a 15-min call just to vent your frustration.

Hope this is helpful :)
Thanks. It would be great if you reply here only!

Sent from my Mi A1 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2018, 09:14
They weren't replying to your post. :)
learnwithanany wrote:
joicegumala wrote:
Hi everyone! So excited to see so much enthusiasm for MBA :)

I am Joice Gumala, MBA student at London Business School and Founder of MBA Mentor. I know exactly what you are going through when applying to many business schools two years ago: researching the schools, speaking with current students and alumni, rewriting and revising your CV & essay, preparing for GMAT and so on. The list is endless! It's so tiring and it takes a lot of time and effort.

My friends and I have launched a website to help applicants (particularly from emerging markets) to deal with these issues. When you order a service with us, you will be assigned to a mentor (current student from your dream school), who will guide and support you through your application journey. If you are interested, check out this link: https://www.mbamentor.org/ or send an email to info@mbamentor.org. You can also book a 15-min call just to vent your frustration.

Hope this is helpful :)
Thanks. It would be great if you reply here only!

Sent from my Mi A1 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 06:06
So hopefully a simple question. For the Activities & Interests section, is this just asking for what we do when not at work?

For instance, I have played amateur football for a long time, I should put that in?
How about being a keen skier and organising a group trip every year for 10-20 friends?
What about more recreational activities such as fitness training or playing tennis with friends?

I feel like the first two examples are probably good to be put in, but wondering where we should draw the line?
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 07:18
BNabs88 yes it's whatever you're doing when you're not at work.

Prioritize anything that might be organized ie, one of my clients at Stanford led an annual trip for 6 friends, and had an amateur Soccer Club.

So if there's a way you could squeeze leadership in there then do that but it's not a must.

Prioritize hobbies that
set you apart,
make you unique,
show you as interesting and well-rounded, and increase the diversity of the class.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V45
GRE 1: Q168 V170
GPA: 3.59

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 07:56
MV23 wrote:

Why Stanford?

For what matters most to me, I wrote my essay about finding meaning in work (on a personal level) beginning with volunteering at my church in HS, to joining the military, and then how I will continue to do meaningful work in a future civilian career. Throughout the essay I pulled specific examples of why I found my work meaningful at different stages of my career and ended with a justification of why I will find work in the business world meaningful as well.

For "Why Stanford" I wrote about how the school's mission statement speaks to my goal to be a global leader broadly speaking, not only in business. I also discussed how I wanted to learn to different leadership styles through both my peers and the "touchy feely" class to expand outside of the centralized, hierarchichal style of leadership the military uses. I also wrote about how their global programs, such as GMIX, will complement my previous international experiences.
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 01:49
XTOL - thank you for sharing!

I'm struggling more with the "Why Stanford" essay than "What Matters Most, and Why." Trying to squeeze in career goal + why Stanford (3 ideas: courses, tech, mentoring) is a challenge

Posted from my mobile device
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 03:11
I sit my GMAT in late October, I will submit my application in R2.

The biggest worry I face is of getting a scholarship.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 12:26
Guys,

I am working with a consultant and when I told him that I wanted to write about moving to a new country as a young teenager and had to overcome language and cultural barriers, to show my ability to face challenges, he said that the idea is banal.

What do you guys think? Sure, I have not conquered cancer or poverty, but I am not trying to compete with who has overcome the greatest obstacles. I am telling a story about my life, and that was one of the first significant challenges.

What do you guys think about this? I think hundreds of people will be writing about some kinds of nonprofit, charity, giving back - so nothing is extremely original anyways.

Thanks for the input guys.

The GSB essay is due soon so any insight would be great!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 15:09
bondtradercu wrote:
Guys,

I am working with a consultant and when I told him that I wanted to write about moving to a new country as a young teenager and had to overcome language and cultural barriers, to show my ability to face challenges, he said that the idea is banal.

What do you guys think? Sure, I have not conquered cancer or poverty, but I am not trying to compete with who has overcome the greatest obstacles. I am telling a story about my life, and that was one of the first significant challenges.

What do you guys think about this? I think hundreds of people will be writing about some kinds of nonprofit, charity, giving back - so nothing is extremely original anyways.

Thanks for the input guys.

The GSB essay is due soon so any insight would be great!

The idea itself is very cliche, but the devil is in the details. The reason why you moved away, where you come from and where you relocated to, how all of this affected your life path to date and your future goals are definitely things to consider. I guess some professional consultants can tell you a bit more about it, but my suggestion is to work with your consultant on your story, tell them who you are and what shaped your as a person and then he/she should be able to help you shape your essay. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021! &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 15:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 116 posts ] 

Calling all Stanford GSB MBA Applicants: (2019 Intake) Class of 2021!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: ydmuley, mvictor

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap