Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [30]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 490 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20715 [1]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Even though the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's popul [#permalink]
A is not perfect because "which" and "it" is unclear pronoun, but A keeps the meaning of the sentence intact.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
Re: Even though the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's popul [#permalink]
daagh Sir,

Normally your analyses of SC questions are brilliant and flawless,and the question you post are of high standards.But I have some doubts on the right answer choice of this post.

Doubt 1:The use of which.Though I agree that which can sometime takes liberty from the touch rule but in this question population is a contender for which.

Doubt 2:what is the antecedent of it?

Doubt3: Normally accounted for is preceded or followed by a a noun.But in this question the construction accounted for by...looks very awkward.

Please help on this question.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Techie: I must agree with you although for different reasons. First, neither this topic nor the OA is my own. If I remember correct, this is from GMAT Free; even the OE is from the company I suppose.
The whole thing looks like a critical reasoning passage rather than sentence correction. I doubt that the original intent itself is defective. If we want to say that something has been explained by X and may be equally by Y, then when do not say - even though by X but may be equally by Y -. We have to say that something has been explained not only by X but also by Y perhaps equally.
I do not think A is correct either in its syntax or in its semantics. Since 'A' itself is suspect, pointless going into other admittedly wrong choices
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Techie: I must agree with you although for different reasons. First, neither this topic nor the OA is my own. If I remember correct, this is from GMAT Free; even the OE is from the company I suppose.
The whole thing looks like a critical reasoning passage rather than sentence correction. I doubt that the original intent itself is defective. If we want to say that something has been explained by X and may be equally by Y, then when do not say - even though by X but may be equally by Y -. We have to say that something has been explained not only by X but also by Y perhaps equally.
I do not think A is correct either in its syntax or in its semantics. Since 'A' itself is suspect, pointless going into other admittedly wrong choices

so, you are certain that sth explained by 2 factors at most? I also am thinking that sth explained by X and X explained by Y or sth and X explained by Y, and there are many variations. Only some are favored by the real GMAT
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Can some one please explain the reason for choosing A over B?

I think B is incorrect because we must have clause after Although. But in B, we are not using that correctly. Please confirm whether I am understanding it correctly.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Even though the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's population, which is said to be consistent between individuals to one part in ten thousand, has been explained by environmental factors, it may be equally accounted for by the theory of convergent evolution.[/u]

- Mean
-Though Homegenity ,which is which is said to be consistent between individuals to one part in ten thousand, is explained by X , it may equally be explained by Y.
-The dilemma /contrast here is between explanation provided by X and that provided by Y.
- which correctly modifies the homogenity . why ? because a population is not consitstent in one a\part. It is a group. Homogenity itself means : similar

(A) Even though the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's population, which is said to be consistent between individuals to one part in ten thousand, has been explained by environmental factors, it may be equally accounted for by the theory of convergent evolution.
- no errors.

(B) Although said to be consistent between individuals to one part in ten thousand, the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's population has been explained by environmental factors and may be equally accounted for by the theory of convergent evolution.
- COntrast is lost. We are not contrasting X and Y anymore.

(C) Equally accounted for by the theory of convergent evolution, the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's population, which is said to be consistent between individuals to one part in ten thousand, has been explained by environmental factors.
-contrast is lost

(D) Consistent between individuals to one part in ten thousand, the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's population, even though explained by environmental factors, but is accounted for by the theory of convergent evolution.
- even though itself begins a subordinate clause and hence requires a main clause to follow it. "but" is again subordinate clause. Subordinate+ subordonate= fragment.

(E) While the homogeneity of the genetic record of the world's population is said to be consistent between individuals to one part in ten thousand, it has been explained by environmental factors, and may be equally accounted for by the theory of convergent evolution.
- contrast is lost.

A brilliant question.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts