GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 22:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recentl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge
In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recentl [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 08:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:24) correct 33% (01:33) wrong based on 536 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recently enacted legislation that reduces taxes on small businesses. This enormous piece of legislation contains many other components that are also advantageous to small businesses: loan support, more advice and assistance from the SBA (U.S. Small Business Administration), as well as favorable lease terms on federal property. Clearly, the new legislation is in the long-term interest of small business owners.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the argument above?

A. In this same legislation, the reduction in taxes for larger corporations is substantially greater than for small businesses and the larger corporations receive even more additional incentives than small businesses.

B. Some of the biggest problems facing small businesses—health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance—are not addressed in the legislation.

C. The tax reductions are only valid for 3 years, and most of the companies that can be profitable with this new tax structure would fail under the current structure.

D. There are very few government properties that are available for lease by small businesses.

E. Advice and assistance from the SBA is rarely helpful for small businesses.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recentl [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 08:30
gauravraos wrote:
In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recently enacted legislation that reduces taxes on small businesses. This enormous piece of legislation contains many other components that are also advantageous to small businesses: loan support, more advice and assistance from the SBA (U.S. Small Business Administration), as well as favorable lease terms on federal property. Clearly, the new legislation is in the long-term interest of small business owners.

A. In this same legislation, the reduction in taxes for larger corporations is substantially greater than for small businesses and the larger corporations receive even more additional
incentives than small businesses.
B. Some of the biggest problems facing small businesses – health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance – are not addressed in the legislation.
C. The tax reductions are only valid for 3 years, and most of the companies that can be profitable with this new tax structure would fail under the current structure.
D. There are very few government properties that are available for lease by small businesses.

Argument
To stimulate job growth, legislators have a new bill that reduces taxes on SMBs. Legislation has many other components beneficial to SMBs.
Conclusion - New legislation is in the long term interest of SMBs

A - Irrelevant. OUT.
B - Trick Option. Address the first part of the argument i.e. legislation introduced to stimulate job growth, but fails the address the other aspects of the argument. Keep for now.
C - This statement means these SMBs will flourish for 3 years, and then flounder once the tax reforms are removed. Looks promising and attacks the conclusion i.e. the legislation was for long term interest of SMBs. KEEP.
D - OUT.
E - OUT.

B/w B & C.
C wins as it directly attacks the conclusion, i.e. if these tax reforms are only good for 3 years, then these SMBs will only flourish for 3 years. When these companies fail, so will the job growth.

C is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Re: In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recentl [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 08:32

Conclusion- the new legislation is in the long-term interest of small business owners.

Possible Weakners:

1. New legislation is not going to last for long.
2. New legislation tries to enact laws other than loan support, more advice and assistance from the SBA which hurt small businesses

Now lets look at the answers..
A. In this same legislation, the reduction in taxes for larger corporations is substantially greater than for small businesses and the larger corporations receive even more additional incentives than small businesses.---- talks about larger corporations not small businesses (out of scope)
B. Some of the biggest problems facing small businesses – health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance – are not addressed in the legislation.------talks about some of the biggest problems not a majority of them(some trap)
C. The tax reductions are only valid for 3 years, and most of the companies that can be profitable with this new tax structure would fail under the current structure.----correct---matches our prediction
D. There are very few government properties that are available for lease by small businesses.-----talks about only one aspect of the legislation not as a whole
E. Advice and assistance from the SBA is rarely helpful for small businesses.----talks about only one aspect of the legislation not as a whole

Hence,
C is the correct answer

Thanks in advance for the Kudos I will receive... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 11:26
mikemcgarry: Hey Mike- Really sorry to bother you with a this today. I really could n't hold myself, and thought I should reach out to you once for some clarifications. Hoping that you would be able to help as always.

In this question, I marked the choice B as my answer. Now, I do have a fair idea why option C is correct. It states that the tax system is only applicable for 3 years , and after that it will return back to its normal structure, and not many companies will be able to survive then, OK- I get what the writers of the answer are pointing at. But I have something in my mind, which, I can not digest. Suppose I go to a doctor today, and tell him that I am having high fever. And the doctor gives me a medicine for Cold. Don't you think in that case Doctor is really stupid and is not concerned about my health. I presented this analogy because option B is very similar. If the small business are suffering from some major problems, and the government comes out with some initiatives, which don t really take care of their current needs- then can we really say that the government is concerned about their long term interest? This made me mark Option B.

Now, looking at Option C- its ok that this plan is only applicable for 3 years, but what if in the mean time government comes up with some other development plans in 2 years from now. It is at least doing the right thing at the present by doing something at least. Plus, it is also fair to assume that the business might fail right now in this current structure, but with some support for 3 years, they might be able to build some solid business foundations, and might be able to support themselves when such a structure comes into play again.

Do you think, my arguments are too overstretched or do they have some credence? Please let me know your thoughts here. Thanks so much.

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Wharton Thread Master
D
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 12:44

A. In this same legislation, the reduction in taxes for larger corporations is substantially greater than for small businesses and the larger corporations receive even more additional incentives than small businesses. -Okay, let there be greater benefits for large corporations, but the argument at hand talks about small corporations.
B. Some of the biggest problems facing small businesses – health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance – are not addressed in the legislation. -There might many things that the proposed legislation might have included and not included, but the option certainly doesn't tell us as to why the SBO will be hurt because of the legislation. This is a simple fact set.
C. The tax reductions are only valid for 3 years, and most of the companies that can be profitable with this new tax structure would fail under the current structure. -Correct. As per the premise, there is an URGENT NEED for growth simulation. This option says that the companies will be benefited after 3 years.
D. There are very few government properties that are available for lease by small businesses. -Out of scope.
E. Advice and assistance from the SBA is rarely helpful for small businesses. -Out of scope.

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 09:22
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
mikemcgarry: Hey Mike- Really sorry to bother you with a this today. I really could n't hold myself, and thought I should reach out to you once for some clarifications. Hoping that you would be able to help as always.

In this question, I marked the choice B as my answer. Now, I do have a fair idea why option C is correct. It states that the tax system is only applicable for 3 years , and after that it will return back to its normal structure, and not many companies will be able to survive then, OK- I get what the writers of the answer are pointing at. But I have something in my mind, which, I can not digest. Suppose I go to a doctor today, and tell him that I am having high fever. And the doctor gives me a medicine for Cold. Don't you think in that case Doctor is really stupid and is not concerned about my health. I presented this analogy because option B is very similar. If the small business are suffering from some major problems, and the government comes out with some initiatives, which don t really take care of their current needs- then can we really say that the government is concerned about their long term interest? This made me mark Option B.

Now, looking at Option C- its ok that this plan is only applicable for 3 years, but what if in the mean time government comes up with some other development plans in 2 years from now. It is at least doing the right thing at the present by doing something at least. Plus, it is also fair to assume that the business might fail right now in this current structure, but with some support for 3 years, they might be able to build some solid business foundations, and might be able to support themselves when such a structure comes into play again.

Do you think, my arguments are too overstretched or do they have some credence? Please let me know your thoughts here. Thanks so much.

Dear bkpolymers1617,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-)

I certainly agree that both (A) and (B) are tempting traps, but even with that, I would say that (C) is a clear answer. This is a fantastic CR practice question! Another good one from Veritas! :-)

First of all, here's the conclusion:
Clearly, the new legislation is in the long-term interest of small business owners.
We want to know, which answer univocally weakens this conclusion?

Now, here's (B):
Some of the biggest problems facing small businesses—health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance—are not addressed in the legislation.
OK, certainly, this indicates that the legislation is less than ideal, but does it completely undercut the argument?

Let's return to your doctor analogy. If I have a broken leg, and the doctor gives me cough syrup, that doesn't help at all—it's completely useless. By contrast, it has been the case in my real life, on a couple occasions, that I had a viral infection, but the doctor gave me antibiotics to knock out a secondary bacterial infection, and indeed, when the bacteria were gone, along with the extra strain they were placing on my immune system, my system was able to rally on its own and knock out the virus and I got better. In other words, sometimes help or support of completely different kind is enough to solve a main problem.

For example, as you point out, it could be the case that, even with this new legislation, the small businesses will still be going under because "health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance" are too much for them. The main problem, unaddressed in the new legislation, drags these businesses down. That could be true. That would undercut the argument.

Or, it could be true that, with this new legislation, that small businesses will thrive and begin raking in big bucks, more each year, so that they they easily cover the "health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance" and still have a ton of profit left over. With enough money, no fee is really a problem. This also could be true, and this would support the argument.

Which one of those two scenarios would play out? We don't know. Right there, because we don't know whether this could be a weakener or a strengthener, choice (B) can't be the answer.

You see, you did half the job. You imagined how (B) could be a weakener. The other half is to imagine how it could be a strengthener. A trap answer often will have enough wiggle room such that it could be interpreted either way, and if the choice can go either way, it cannot serve as a clean and clear answer to the question.

By contrast, choice (C) is devastating weakener. I can't think of any way to spin that so that it would be the least bit positive. That's what distinguishes the OA (C) from the incorrect choices.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 21:08

B. Some of the biggest problems facing small businesses—health care costs and workman’s compensation insurance—are not addressed in the legislation.

1. Argument question : Weakener
Conclusion :- the new legislation is in the long-term interest of small business owners. why? because it reduces taxes on small businesses / provides loan support+ assistance+ advice.
Pre-thinking:

If anything that can prove that these are short-term measure, and in long term companies need something else.
or
if we can prove that these measures are taken not because of small business, but some other ulterior motive is there.

A. In this same legislation, the reduction in taxes for larger corporations is substantially greater than for small businesses and the larger corporations receive even more additional incentives than small businesses. : Even if large corp. get more tax benefits, it doesn't automatically translate into the fact that the new legislation is not in the long-term interest of small business owners. May be large corp. get more tax benefit but they have to pay something else in return.

For example :-

I help all my students who failed last time.
if I help more students who are top-scorer. It doesn't mean that my teaching plan is not in favour of students who failed last time.

C. The tax reductions are only valid for 3 years, and most of the companies that can be profitable with this new tax structure would fail under the current structure. :- It means that companies needed something else for long-term interest, hence it weakens the argument.

SO C.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 19:40
Clearly, the new legislation is in the long-term interest of small business owners.
long-term is the keyword here, we need to find out an option where long-term plan is failing. Option is clearly C.

-Please give me KUDOS, if my posts help you in anyway.
-Please PM me any doubts which you might have, and I will do my level best to help. :)

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 14:06
A common pattern; the key word is "long-term"
A does not tell whether the plan will work, same to D and B discusses about sth else.
E actually strengthens.
C is obviously correct.
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 21:18
gauravraos wrote:

A. In this same legislation, the reduction in taxes for larger corporations is substantially greater than for small businesses and the larger corporations receive even more additional incentives than small businesses.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

In any "best completes the passage" question, you should read the portion immediately before the underline so that you can determine what role the answer choice needs to play. Here that portion is "the new legislation appears not to be in the long-term interest of small business owners because" so you're looking to weaken the idea that the legislation is in that long-term interest of small business owners.

In answer choice (A) it might seem that if the legislation is more favorable for large businesses, then somehow it is bad for small businesses. However, this is not the case – if the legislation makes conditions more favorable for small businesses then it is clearly in their interest. This answer would be correct if the conclusion concerned the fairness of the legislation with regard to small versus large businesses. (B) is a difficult incorrect answer choice – since the legislation is not affecting many of the biggest problems, it might seem that this would weaken the conclusion. However, as long as the current legislation is doing something positive (lowering taxes and providing other incentives) even though it might not be fixing the biggest problems, it is clearly good for small businesses. This type of answer choice is tricky on weaken questions as it gets you thinking about what might be a better plan but does not specifically weaken the plan that exists in the argument. (C) is correct because, if the tax reduction expires in 3 years and most small businesses would fail without it, then clearly the legislation is not “in the long-term interest of small businesses”. (D) and (E) are incorrect for the same reason – even if you learn that one of the incentives is actually not all that helpful for small businesses, it does not mean that the legislation as a whole is somehow bad for small businesses. Answer is (C).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recentl   [#permalink] 14 May 2018, 21:18

In order to stimulate job growth immediately, legislators have recentl

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap