It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 19:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 09:51
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

to me they all sound retarded...

this is beautiful problem.

"some of them at tremendous speeds" in A is adjectival which modifies "stars". this modification relation is not logic. "being..." in A is correct

"some of them at tremenous speeds" in B is adverbial which modifies the previous clause. this modification is logic.

do you agree with me? pls share your thought.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2014
GPA: 4
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2014, 22:14
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

Please explain how B is correct. Manhattan SC states that 'Like' cannot be used for comparison if there is a clause. Isn't 'the stars are in motion' a clause or am i making a very stupid mistake here
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2014, 05:20
nityamskhurana wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

Please explain how B is correct. Manhattan SC states that 'Like' cannot be used for comparison if there is a clause. Isn't 'the stars are in motion' a clause or am i making a very stupid mistake here

I think you misunderstand the Manhattan SC. You are focusing on the part that "like" is modifying, when you should be focusing on the "like" itself.

It should not be "like [clause], ...". In this case we have "like [the planets], ..." which is "like [noun], ...". Another way to look at it:

[Like the planets, the stars] are in motion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2014, 10:29
Hi -- Two questions:

Can someone explain the difference here between "like" vs. "as"? I was under the impression that "as" is used to compare clauses vs. "like" which is used to compare nouns, correct?

I narrowed it down to B and D and chose D because I *thought* that I was comparing the "motion of the stars" to the "motion of the planets". Doesn't that warrant a clause comparison, in turn, using "as" as the comparison marker?

As a + 1 -- can someone purely use comparison to eliminate the 5 answer choices, I would love to see what is being compared. I can only eliminate "C" b/c of the "although" in the front creates an awkward comparison. Was I wrong?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2014, 08:14
russ9 wrote:
Hi -- Two questions:

Can someone explain the difference here between "like" vs. "as"? I was under the impression that "as" is used to compare clauses vs. "like" which is used to compare nouns, correct?

I narrowed it down to B and D and chose D because I *thought* that I was comparing the "motion of the stars" to the "motion of the planets". Doesn't that warrant a clause comparison, in turn, using "as" as the comparison marker?

As a + 1 -- can someone purely use comparison to eliminate the 5 answer choices, I would love to see what is being compared. I can only eliminate "C" b/c of the "although" in the front creates an awkward comparison. Was I wrong?

Hi Russ,

I think you should consider reading my post from the first page:

mmagyar wrote:
2.) We see "like" and "as" in the beginning, so comparisons are being tested. "like" needs to be followed by a noun. "as" can be followed by a noun or a subject/verb, but it is NOT a comparison if it is followed by a noun - it is describing function. Because we are comparing how the stars are in motion to how the planets are in motion, "as" needs to be followed by a subject/verb if it is used.

Don't worry so much about the meaning when deciding between like and as; instead, consider the pure structure that follows. I suggest reading this e-GMAT post: as-vs-like-correct-and-incorrect-usages-133950.html

egmat wrote:
Both ‘like’ and ‘as’ are used to state comparisons. For example:
• Amy takes care of the children in the day care like a mother. 
• Amy takes care of the children in the day care as a mother does.
Both sentences are correct. Both the sentences above convey the meaning that Amy takes care of the children “in the same way” as a mother takes care of her children.
But notice the usage here – ‘like’ is followed by a noun and ‘as’ is followed by a clause. This grammatical construction should be kept in mind.

---
In this question, all of the choices are grammatically correct for like/as. There are other meaning issues (modifiers, "although," etc.), but the meaning of the comparison matches for ABCE, so we cannot eliminate them for comparison reasons. D, however, has a comparison problem.

In D, "as" is followed by a noun, so it is telling us that the stars are filling the function of (i.e. becoming) planets when those stars are in motion. What do we mean by function? Consider:

"The student acts like a teacher" - comparison to show that the student is not a teacher, but is acting in a SIMILAR manner
"The student acts as a teacher does" - comparison to show that the student is not a teacher, but is acting in a SIMILAR manner
"The student acts as a teacher" - telling us that the student is filling the role of a teacher (not in a way that is SIMILAR to a teacher, but that the student has actually BECOME a teacher, even if temporarily)

Also, in general, the GMAT seems to like to test the meaning of a comparison much more than the actual grammatical structure. Don't worry so much about like/as and focus more on the meanings that are generated by changing the order of the words.

Hope that helps
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2014, 22:56
egmat wrote:
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi,

Are you saying "being" is not at all a verb? My wordweb dictionary reports it as a verb too

Hi kiranck007,

“be” is an auxiliary verb, is/am/are/war/were/will etc. are different helping verbs in different forms.

Now is/am/are/war/were/will etc. are considered verbs but “be” or “being” juts by itself is never a verb that can complement a Subject. “being” is what is called present participle. Present participles are not verbs that can complement Subjects. For example:

The work is being done.
Joe, being a naughty boy, never finished his homework on time.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

I have a small doubt. Can u pls tell me what type of modifier is "some of them at tremendous speeds". According to me, It is an absolute phrase and It modifies the complete preceding clause, "the stars are in motion". Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by gmateveryday on 26 Feb 2015, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 09:43
beckee529 wrote:

Though it took me 20 seconds , but not the best way :)
Like is used to compare 2 nouns
The only choice that does so is B.

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 03:54

Can anyone explain the pronoun ambiguity here ?

why is B correct ? when ''they'' has two antedecents ??

it can refer to stars or planets ?
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2015, 23:50
this is a hard question: we have to make clear that "yet being" is wrong in a few second in the test room.

this is the explanation

in the pattern " main clause+comma +doing"

we can add some, but not all, prepositions or conjunctions. nature of sematic relation between main clause and doing permits us to add some of prepositions and conjunctions.
the conjunctions we can add is
after, while, in , on

the second point is that
being in A, have not meaning/semantic relation with the main clause. this point is easy to talk but hard to do in the test room.

it is alway hardest to realize meaning relation between doing and main clause.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 05:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Can some one explain how in option "B" the modifier "some of them at tremendous speeds" modifies the noun "star" and not the "motion" as the modifier is next to noun "motion". OG says it modifies the noun"Star".

Is it a absolute phrase (N + its modifier) and if that is the case then the form of this doesn't match the absolute modifier format. Absolute phrase is like to my understanding : Noun+ that....(clause) or Noun + ing modifier/ Ed modifier

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 11:05
I have a question related to Ans A.

The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime

Ans A is wrong because the portion after "comma plus coordinating conjunction" (in this case, ", yet") should be a complete clause? Can any please explain to me if it is the case?
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 12:27

The idea is that stars and planets are similar in that they are both in motion.
1. Choices A, C, and E are awkward, incorrect, and don't communicate this idea effectively.
2. Eliminate choice D, since a verb should follow "planets."

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 08:43
just to clarify that ,yet doesn't means need to follow by a independent clause right?
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 22:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
"just to clarify that ,yet doesn't means need to follow by a independent clause right?"

That's correct. Yet can connect clauses, words, or phrases.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 00:57
Thanks ..and one more clarification....based on the definition of clause, all the clause need to have a subject and a main verb. And therefore, relative clause that acts as noun modifier need to follow the same structure too, thought they act as a adjective. Thanks in advance.!
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 01:42
"Thanks ..and one more clarification....based on the definition of clause, all the clause need to have a subject and a main verb. And therefore, relative clause that acts as noun modifier need to follow the same structure too, thought they act as a adjective. Thanks in advance.!"

Yes a relative clause/adjective can modify a noun. It's composed of a relative pronoun or adverb (who, which, where..) plus the verb.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 01:28
Hi chetan2u / mikemcgarry

Can you please explain why there is no pronoun ambiguity in B.

THEY can also refer to planets.

I am facing a lot of issue in pronoun ambiguity issues and hence I am not confident in eliminating options on the basis of pronoun ambiguity.

Please assist how can I comprehend this topic.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / mikemcgarry

Can you please explain why there is no pronoun ambiguity in B.

THEY can also refer to planets.

I am facing a lot of issue in pronoun ambiguity issues and hence I am not confident in eliminating options on the basis of pronoun ambiguity.

Please assist how can I comprehend this topic.

First and foremost, pronoun ambiguity has low priority. Many correct answers actually have some level of ambiguity. Only consider it when you have exhausted everything else. (Ambiguity means uncertain, not wrong. It is much worse to be wrong than uncertain.)

Second, a parallelism rule tells us the following:

When two clauses are joined by a conjunction and the second clause begins with a pronoun as the subject, that pronoun should refer to the subject of the first clause.

Here, we have the following structure:

[Modifier], [Subject] [Verb], but [Pronoun] [Verb]

As a result, we have two clauses joined by a conjunction, so the pronoun subject of the second clause ("they") must refer to the subject of the first clause ("stars"). Because "planets" is in a modifier, it is irrelevant to the parallel consideration because it is not the subject of the main clause.

[Edited to make it easier to understand.]
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 12:48
A primer on subgroup modifiers:

Six different forms of subgroup modifiers are frequently observed. These forms are illustrated using the example above - the first 3 forms are correct and the last three wrong.

1. The stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds,.... Correct

2. The stars are in motion, some at tremendous speeds,.... Correct

3. The stars are in motion, some of which are at tremendous speeds,... Correct

4. The stars are in motion, of which some are at tremendous speeds,... Wrong

5. The stars are in motion, some of which at tremendous speeds,... Wrong

6. The stars are in motion, some of them which are at tremendous speeds,... Wrong
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 15:12
sayantanc2k wrote:
A primer on subgroup modifiers:

Six different forms of subgroup modifiers are frequently observed. These forms are illustrated using the example above - the first 3 forms are correct and the last three wrong.

1. The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds,.... Correct

2. The stars, some at tremendous speeds,.... Correct

3. The stars, some of which are at tremendous speeds,... Correct

4. The stars, of which some are at tremendous speeds,... Wrong

5. The stars, some of which at tremendous speeds,... Wrong

6. The stars, some of them which are at tremendous speeds,... Wrong

I disagree with this usage because it has an incorrect meaning. When the modifier says "at tremendous speeds", it is referring the stars being "in motion", not to an inherent characteristic of "the stars". Thus, the following is incorrect:

• The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion - implies that the "tremendous speeds" is a characteristic of stars separate from their motion

To fix this, we need to keep the speeds about the motion. The following are correct:

• The stars, some of them moving at tremendous speeds, are in motion - awkward because we repeat the idea of motion, but not incorrect
  • The stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, - much better

In other words, we have to be careful that the modifier both is grammatically correct and has the correct relationship to that which it modifies in terms of meaning. The difference in meaning in this example is subtle, but it is an important one for the GMAT.
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2016, 15:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 64 posts ] 

The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap