[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/check_new_recommended_questions.php on line 37: Undefined array key "last_recommended_questions_epoch"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/check_new_recommended_questions.php on line 41: Undefined array key "last_recommended_questions_epoch"
Calling all Wharton MBA Applicants: 2021 Intake [Class of 2023] : MBA Archive
Last visit was: 20 Jul 2024, 03:38 It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 03:38
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [7]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [2]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton MBA Applicants: 2021 Intake [Class of 2023] [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't believe Wharton has released those numbers yet, but if I hear anything about it, I'll post in this thread.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton MBA Applicants: 2021 Intake [Class of 2023] [#permalink]
Pretty subtle change to the second essay prompt. Anyone have any idea why or is it just Wharton trying to steer applicants away from over generalized answers?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8917 [0]
Given Kudos: 3038
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Everyone,

Please join me in welcoming SageJiraiya as the Wharton moderator. He/she will be applying to Wharton and a few other schools the upcoming year and holds a few deferrals from this year. Congratulations SageJiraiya
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks workout
Hi everyone,

A brief introduction : I am an international student. Working in the marketing/advertising domain for the past 4 years. 2 years in a start-up, then 2 years establishing my own marketing firm.
Though, I don't have an educational background in Marketing/Business.

My primary reason to go for an MBA is to build a solid business foundation atop of which I could build my own business empire in the future (have a few different ideas that I am working on currently apart from my agency).

I am primarily interested in Marketing and Entrepreneurship.
Thus Wharton is one of my top choices!

This year, I applied to a few schools (list under my username). I don't have a deferral right now, but I have applied for one. Regardless of the result of that request, I will be applying this year.

Looking forward to collaborate with you all and leverage this godsend of a resource to craft amazing apps!
Good luck guys!

My primary reason for an MBA is to get that background in business. Marketing in particular!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Upcoming events: -

JUNE
1. Virtual MBA Alumni Panel
JUNE 27 | 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Registration Link

2. Wharton MBA Overview Webinar
JUNE 29 | 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Registration Link

3. Student-Led Virtual Campus Tour
JUNE 30 | 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Registration Link

JULY
1. Carey JD/MBA Overview
JULY 7 | 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Registration Link

2. MBA/MA Lauder Joint-Degree in International Studies Webinar
JULY 8 | 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Registration Link

3. Virtual MBA Club Spotlight Series: Japan Club
JULY 9 | 9:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Registration Link

4. Virtual MBA Alumni Panel
JULY 11 | 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Registration Link

5. Wharton MBA Overview Webinar
JULY 15 | 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Registration Link

6. Student-Led Virtual Campus Tour
JULY 18 | 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Registration Link

7. Carey JD/MBA Overview Webinar
JULY 21 | 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Registration Link

8. MBA/MA Lauder Joint-Degree in International Studies Webinar
JULY 22 | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Registration Link

9. MBA Application Tips Webinar
JULY 23 | 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Registration Link

10. Wharton MBA Overview Webinar
JULY 28 | 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Registration Link

11. Student-Led Virtual Campus Tour
JULY 30 | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Registration Link

Keep watching this space for future updates!
Also, I'd urge you all to go to the bottom of this page and fill the form to stay connected with Wharton!
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the information SageJiraiya If you happen to attend these events, please feel free to post a summary of the webinars. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Event Name - Virtual MBA Alumni Panel
Date - June 27th 2020

Panelists (names removed for confidentiality)
Host: Ad-com member, hence forth mentioned as Host.
Alums:
A1: Class of 2017; Indian; Now established a start-up
A2: Class of 2019; American; Currently working as a Management Consultant at Kearney
A3: Class of 2016; Currently working at a real-estate start-up
A4: Class of 2019; Currently working at a Tech Project Manager
Note: I am taking the liberty to paraphrase here. Please be mindful about the information here and get in touch with the ad-com in case of any further questions.

Q1. What made you choose Wharton?
Quote:
A1 - Primarily for Healthcare Management program | Close knit community | Great alums | Location
A2 - Healthcare management program | Location: Access to NY and DC both | The people and environment: very welcoming
A3 - Great Real-estate program | Near an Airport (personal reason) | Great international brand
A4 - Diversity : people from every walk of life | Can choose your adventure: Classes, extra-curricular activities etc. for everyone. Everyone will find a home

Q2. What were your perceptions of Wharton before applying? What were not correct based on your time here?
Quote:
A1 - Very team first approach | Classmates and alums are there to help you | Competitive but really fun
A2 - Competitive is very relative | Great environment - better than I expected | Classmates : Extremely passionate about something
A3 - Met different groups that are at different life stages
A4 - Heard Wharton is a finance and Consulting school | We have 19 different majors : all majors are awesome | Wharton helps all its students

Q3. Talk about leadership programs you were involved with.
Quote:

Q4. The class size is large. Did it help or hurt?
Quote:
A1 - Good thing | Can find people from any background in your class | Only bad thing : Of the 830 people in my batch, I don't know everyone.
A2 - Goal wasn't to know everyone but to increase my network | You have opportunities to meet people | You are (at max) 1 step away from people from any background

Q5. Entrepreneurship opportunities and resources you used?
Quote:
A1 - Wasn't thinking about startups then | When the opportunity came, the Wharton Network was a big help
A2 - Philadelphia ecosystem is a great help
A4 - There are a few classes where you can work on your ideas for credit | Entrepreneurship center : Helpful for all stages of lifecycle

Q6. Recruiting on campus and that process
Quote:
A1 - Career Management helps you with your resume, interviews, getting the right mindset and facilitates meetups with alums.
A3 - Reached out to CM post graduation to get advice on salary negotiations.
A1 - When we were recruiting at my company, I asked them about the competitive packages in the market

Q7. Being a Wharton alum, how have utilized Wharton alum network?
Quote:
A1 - Having a Wharton alum at a company is like having a friend at that company| No other network is as strong as the Wharton network
A3 - Connections come to you even if you are not actively reaching out for employment opportunities
A4 - Knowing you can reach out to them and get a response 99.99% of the time is great | you maintain deeper connections with your classmates and continue to develop these relations post graduation.

Q8. One thing that you should have taken advantage of during school, but didn't and now you regret it?
Quote:
A1 - Didn't go on a leadership venture
A2 - Went to a leadership venture | Great experience but never doing it again
A4 - Not going on a leadership venture | Tip: So many things to do. Best to maintain a priority list.

Q9. In the class learning - describe your favorite class and the nature of the class? Your favorite professor and classroom experience?
Quote:
A2 - Strategic Brand Management - holistic class
A3 - Really enjoyed - Executive leadership (by a professor who is retired now) : How you change the notion of leadership | Work life balance vs Work life integration.

Q10. Advice you would give to your pre-MBA self?
Quote:
A1 - Use the application process to introspect | You have to look at b-school not as a prescriptive thing. MBA should be the logical next step for you.
A2 - Don't force the B-school | Don't try to guess what Ad-com wants to hear - go with what you actually want to do | Create your own rankings / criteria
A3 - Be vary of the impostor syndrome | Think about how you can add value to the Wharton community
A4 - Try and get a sense of the culture of each school | Big decision | Big commitment - think about it deeply | B-school life is difficult and takes time to adjust to.

I missed a few questions that were either very generic in nature (What sort of a vibe did you get from Philadelphia?) or were too specific (Shed some light on the real-estate clubs?).
But I think I covered a majority of what was discussed during the webinar.

Don't forget to sign-up for future events (List).

Did you find anything of value in this webinar/summary?
Feel free to share your thoughts in this space!
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great work. Thanks for the debrief SageJiraiya I like how the panel includes members from different fields. Good to know about the strength of the Wharton network.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah the diversity of thoughts and experiences on the panel was nothing short of brilliant.
The live discussion was very engaging even at an odd hour of the day.

I couldn't attend the session held on 29th June though.
If anyone was present in that webinar, please feel free to share your takeaways from the session!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Wharton Virtual Tour
Great session today!

Tip from the host to structure your application:
Quote:
Think about your Trajectory. Best way to set-up your application is to depict a journey.
It should have a 3-way structure
1. What were you doing before the MBA?
2. What will you do during your MBA?
3. What will you do after your MBA?

1. Before MBA:
How things were going smoothly
Then an epiphany happens - you figure out that you need an MBA to reach where you want to go.
Then you researched your options and found why Wharton is your best bet (don't forget to present your fit for the program here)

2. During MBA
How you will structure your MBA to get what you need to reach your goals

3. After an MBA
How you're riding off in the sunset as a successful alum.

Great session over-all!
Would definitely recommend anyone looking at Wharton to sign up for events, especially the student and alum run ones.
Wharton is a very student run school and you get that vibe during these sessions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Send PM
Hey Everyone!
Applications are now open.
Time to get serious and pick up the pace!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
SageJiraiya wrote:
Hey Everyone!

Application portal doesn't seem to be loading for me, and the website still says Apps will open in July. Wonder if that's the case for anyone else?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Send PM
wwh72 wrote:
SageJiraiya wrote:
Hey Everyone!

Application portal doesn't seem to be loading for me, and the website still says Apps will open in July. Wonder if that's the case for anyone else?

Posted from my mobile device

Yeah seems to me that applyweb is down right now.
On the MBA home page, the link to the application has been added.

Update:
The platform - applyweb is working now. I am not available to start my FT MBA application right now though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
man i still can't start my application. Driving me crazy!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
The Application is finally live!
Apply Now!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.74
Send PM
For the Number of years of full-time work experience in the Work Experience/Resume page, it says:
"This should reflect the total number of years of full-time work experience until the start date of August 2020."

This should be Aug. 2021, right? Meaning the matriculation date?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
wwh72 wrote:
For the Number of years of full-time work experience in the Work Experience/Resume page, it says:
"This should reflect the total number of years of full-time work experience until the start date of August 2020."

This should be Aug. 2021, right? Meaning the matriculation date?

Yes, they mean matriculation date. So Aug 2021 is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts