GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 May 2018, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

91% (00:58) correct 9% (01:09) wrong based on 1074 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain in almost three years, after a weekend cold snap in Brazil raised concern that there could be damage to the world’s largest crop when at a time with supplies already tight.

A. that there could be damage to the world’s largest crop when at a time with supplies
B. that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time such as when supplies are
C. that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time when supplies are
D. of the world’s largest crop possibly being damaged at a time with supplies
E. of possibly damaging the world’s largest crop at a time that supplies were

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

1 KUDOS received
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
A. that there could be damage to the world’s largest crop when at a time with supplies - Incorrect
B. that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time such as when supplies are - Incorrect
C. that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time when supplies are - Correct
D. of the world’s largest crop possibly being damaged at a time with supplies - Incorrect
E. of possibly damaging the world’s largest crop at a time that supplies were - Incorrect

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Re: Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 04:24
At a time when is the correct phrase. C is th right answer.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 20:23
C for me,

At a time when is correct but not when at a time.
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 05:00
When is used with time, so eliminate A, D & E.
such as is used to give examples, so eliminate B.

C is the answer.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 07:37
The two main aspects that are tested here are 1. Concision 2. The phrase "when at a time with supplies"
A. Ignore for the time being in search of a better option
B. "at a time such as" is incorrect usage because the phrase such as is unnecessary when talking about time
C. Looks grammatically correct with a concise start and the right usage of "at a time when supplies are"
D. The problem here again is the phrase "at a time with supplies already tight"... The correct preposition to be used with time is when
E. "Of possibly damaging" is a very vague sentence.. who is damaging the crop here? It is not properly structured
So, the correct answer is C

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Log on to http://www.mbachallengers.com for
Easy strategic GMAT prep
For any queries mail us at mba.challengers@outlook.com
Follow MBA Challengers on Facebook

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 01:16
Gnpth wrote:
Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain in almost three years, after a weekend cold snap in Brazil raised concern that there could be damage to the world’s largest crop when at a time with supplies already tight.

A. that there could be damage to the world’s largest crop when at a time with supplies
B. that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time such as when supplies are

very hard problem.
in b, " a time such as when..." is grammatical because "when clause" can work as noun in addition to adverb or adjective. but this meaning is different from that in c. compare
he can be happy at any time such as when his wife come or when his wife leave. this is meaning is B. this meaning is not logic in B. " crop could be damaged at any time" is not logic
meaning in C is logic. "crop can be damage when supplies are tight.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 03:27
Answer is C in my opinion. When should be used to modify time entity.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 06:39
Should 'C' not say - "...when supplies were"?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 06:51
naval2272 wrote:
Should 'C' not say - "...when supplies were"?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi naval2272 ,

No, it says crop could be damaged. When? When the supplies are ...

So, it is talking about something that could happen in the present or future.

Hence, 'are' is used correctly here.

Consider this example:

My gym trainer raised concern yesterday that I could get hurt if I do 1000 squats in one day. :P

Here, although he raised concern yesterday, the hurting could happen anytime in present or future.

I hope that makes sense. :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
WE: Operations (Consumer Electronics)
Sentence Correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS

My question is : In option D, is the use of 'being' correct? Don't we use 'being' to express continuation. Can that be a possible reason to eliminate D

Source: Verbal Review 2018

~~~~~~ consider giving kudos if you liked the post ~~~~~~

Manager
Manager
G
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sentence Correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 15:16
ng2 wrote:

My question is : In option D, is the use of 'being' correct? Don't we use 'being' to express continuation. Can that be a possible reason to eliminate D

Source: Verbal Review 2018

This is will help you to understand when Being is correct ?

https://e-gmat.com/blog/gmat-verbal/sen ... -questions

Coffee prices rose sharply Monday after a weekend cold snap in Brazil raised concern that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time when supplies are we need a that in the sentence. In option A- the sentence is awkward..
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Account Management (Entertainment and Sports)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 04:08
The GMAT book also suggests that “the preposition ‘of’ after ‘concern’ is an incorrect construction”
I think that ‘concern about’ could be alternative for ‘concern that’.
Note: ‘concern of’ is expressing possessive case and not always incorrect!
Concern of the teacher
Concern of someone

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 20:42

A. that there could be damage to the world’s largest crop when at a time with supplies - modifier (with supplies) seems to suggest that the concern surfaced at a particular kind of time – a time that was with limited supplies.
B. that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time such as when supplies are - Use of the idiom such as is incorrect because such as is used to present examples and from the context of the sentence it is clear that the sentence merely intends to explain a situation and does not intend to present any example.
C. that the world’s largest crop could be damaged at a time when supplies are - Correct
D. of the world’s largest crop possibly being damaged at a time with supplies - Use of expression concern of the world’s largest crop is erroneous because this expression means that the concern belongs to the world’s largest crop.
E. of possibly damaging the world’s largest crop at a time that supplies were - Use of relative pronoun modifier that to refer to time is incorrect ; we need that after concern

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 20:19
Hi all..I'm still not following why the verb after "that supplies" should be "are" instead of "were". I thought the usage of "could" here indicated that this was a second conditional and thus needed the past tense form. Can someone explain?
Re: Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 20:19

Coffee prices rose sharply Monday, posting their biggest one-day gain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap