Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20708 [315]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [54]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [34]
Given Kudos: 136
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [24]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RupalTot123 wrote:
CJAnish, ChiranjeevSingh, GMATNinja
Kindly throw some light on tackling this kind of a question.
Thanks a lot! :)

This question is mostly about parallelism. The non-underlined portion ends with a list of attributes (describing Sartre's opinion), so we're expecting another attribute to complete the list. The first two attributes (“painfully considered, elaborately reasoned”) show us the pattern: adverb adjective, adverb adjective.

Choice (A) gives us exactly what we expect: another attribute that describes Sartre's opinion, in the form "adverb adjective" ("often changed"). So (A) is looking pretty good, but let's see if we can eliminate the others.

Quote:
(B) and it was usually changed

If we only had "usually changed" instead of "it was usually changed," then (B) would be tempting. Again, the first two elements of the list are in the form "adverb + adjective," so we expect something similar in the final part.

Instead, we get "pronoun + verb + adverb + adjective"--the addition of a subject pronoun and verb ("it was") makes it seem like we are starting an entirely new sentence, rather than continuing the list of attributes.

That's not what we want, so we can get rid of (B).

Quote:
(C) that was often changed

This would be fine if the “that was” came before the whole list: “…had an opinion on everything that was painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, [and] often changed.” But at the end of the list, "that was" doesn't make any sense and throws off the parallelism. (C) is out.

Quote:
(D) changing often

Here the parallelism might technically be ok because we have another attribute that describes Sartre's opinion ("changing often"). But unlike in (A), we don't get a nice, clean (and easy-to-follow) list of "adverb + adjective" pairs.

Moreover, since we are talking about Sartre's opinion in the past, the opinion shouldn’t be “changing often"--this seems to imply that the opinion is STILL changing in the present.

In contrast, "considered" and "reasoned" suggest actions that were performed ON the opinions in the past--the opinions were painfully considered BY Sartre, and the opinions were elaborately reasoned BY Sartre. That pattern doesn't work with the third item: "The opinions were changing often by Sartre" doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, choice (A) implies that "the opinions were often changed by Sartre," which makes more sense and fits with the pattern of the first two attributes. This makes (A) the better choice, so we can eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) one he often changed

You can get rid of (E) pretty quickly because it doesn't fit with the parallel structure at all. Using this option, the list of attributes has the form: "(1) adverb adjective, (2) adverb adjective, (3) pronoun ("one") noun modifier ("[that] he often changed")--the parallelism is clearly better in (A).

That's enough reason to get rid of (E). But if (and only if) you'd like nerd out and dive a little deeper on this one, keep reading...

Aside from the obvious deviation from the part of speech pattern, there is another really subtle reason that the parallelism isn't ideal here:

• The first two items in the list describe what Sartre’s opinion was like, without mentioning specific action by Sartre: his opinion was considered and reasoned. (If you like the jargon, this is the passive voice). As we saw in option (D), the first two elements imply actions performed ON the opinions.
  • But with "one he often changed," "he" is the subject of the verb "changed." This active construction gives Sartre more agency—he is the one specifically changing the opinion, as opposed to the opinion having been changed BY him.
  • Simply put, because two of the elements in the list are in the passive voice and one is in the active, the parallelism isn't as good as it is in option (A). Again, you don't need to go there to get rid of (E), but this gives us one more vote for (A) over (E) :).

In any case, (A) is our best option.

I hope that helps!
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [19]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Three things are describing the opinion Sartre had, but except B, no other choice is sporting the legendary 'and' before the last item. Even B doesn't stand scrutiny because the last item is a clause while the previous ones are past-participle adjectives. I don't know what is up the OG's sleeve in this question. Let's wait until the cat is out of the bag.

Originally posted by daagh on 21 Sep 2019, 11:28.
Last edited by daagh on 09 Nov 2019, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19726 [12]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, often changed.

(A) often changed
(D) changing often
(E) one he often changed

SC56561.01

https://content.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,924058-2,00.html

This inadvertent guru had an opinion on everything, painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, often changed. But for most of his life he was convinced of the ineluctable corruption of the bourgeoisie, even though he was to the bourgeoisie born. His father was a naval officer who sickened and died when Jean-Paul was only two. The boy was brought up in the house of his grandfather, a linguistics professor who doted on him. His prim Roman Catholic mother he loved but did not respect, because nobody else in his free-thinking Lutheran grandfather's household did ("My mother and I were the same age," Sartre later recalled).

Official Explanation

Parallelism; Diction; Logical predication

The sentence is intended to predicate frequent change of Sartre's opinions. We need to find the answer choice that most effectively does so.

Note that this modifier in option A, consisting of the adverbial modifier often and the verbal adjective changed, is most closely parallel to the two preceding predicates.

A. Correct. This choice is correct for the reasons stated above.

B. In this choice the pronoun it could refer either to opinion or to everything, and the force of usually is unclear. Furthermore, this choice is not parallel in structure to the preceding modifiers painfully considered and elaborately reasoned.

C. In this choice, the relative pronoun that normally has the closest preceding noun, pronoun, or noun phrase as its referent. However, in this context, everything is clearly not the intended referent. Furthermore, this choice is not parallel in structure to the preceding modifiers painfully considered and elaborately reasoned.

D. This choice is not parallel in structure to the preceding modifiers painfully considered and elaborately reasoned. This option also unnecessarily inverts the adjective and adverb, creating a different order from the order in the previous two modifiers.

E. This choice is not parallel in structure to the preceding modifiers painfully considered and elaborately reasoned.

The correct answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
How is parallelism maintained in option A?
Please help.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [7]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
Please help.

i) Adverb (painfully) + adjective/past-participle (considered)
ii) Adverb (elaborately) + adjective/past-participle (reasoned)
iii) Adverb (often) + adjective/past-participle (changed)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
Please help.

i) Adverb (painfully) + adjective/past-participle (considered)
ii) Adverb (elaborately) + adjective/past-participle (reasoned)
iii) Adverb (often) + adjective/past-participle (changed)

EducationAisle,
Thanks for the explanation, but how are we avoiding a conjunction(&) to connect 3 phrases together.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
You are right Sunny. Ideally, there should have been an and; however, this is just an acceptable writing style, especially used to emphasize attributes.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AyeeshaJ wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
You are right Sunny. Ideally, there should have been an and; however, this is just an acceptable writing style, especially used to emphasize attributes.

Isn't this ridiculous? Just to make the questions difficult, such odd writing styles are being tested.

Hi AyeeshaJ, curious to know which option did you choose?

The reason is that the presence/absence of and is not really being tested in this sentence, since none of the options uses and.

Perhaps you are confused with option B. Let's look at B. It says:

Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, and it was usually changed.

The above sentence is also missing an and. With the and, the sentence should actually be:

Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully considered and elaborately reasoned, and it was usually changed.

Hence, while the absence of an and in option A is admittedly counter-intuitive, but a non-issue here.

Originally posted by EducationAisle on 13 Nov 2019, 04:03.
Last edited by EducationAisle on 13 Nov 2019, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATNinja AjiteshArun

Your valuable inputs on this one please.

I just got a different idea to justify A.

What if his opinions are sometimes painfully considered, sometimes, elaborately reasoned, sometimes both, sometimes elaborately reasoned and often changed, sometimes only often changed?

There are multitudes of combinations that we can create and thus we cannot use either an “AND” that will signify ALL are necessary or an “OR” that will signify his opinions were one of the many kinds and not any combination thereof.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [3]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
hazelnut wrote:
Sartre, an inadvertent guru, had an opinion on everything, painfully considered, elaborately reasoned, often changed.

As expected with all GMAT Advanced questions, this one is tough.

Don't look for the right answer. Identify the wrong answers.

We have a list of three items which are in the form: adjective + past tense verb.

Let's eliminate answer choices that are not parallel with this form. And let's be stingy with any answer choice that introduces pronouns, conjunctions, or any other words in our 3 verb list.

hazelnut wrote:
(A) often changed

This answer choice is parallel with our list of 3 -ed ending verbs. Why do we not need an "and" in this final item? I truly don't know. Maybe GMATNinja can assist.

However, I'm confident that B, C, D, and E all have definite errors.

hazelnut wrote:

What is "it" referring to? Opinion? Fine. But why do we need to restate "opinion" with a pronoun at the end of our verb list? The pronoun is not necessary to understand the meaning of the sentence.

The it and the was are not needed and are completely wrong.

This answer breaks the parallelism of our 3 verb list.

hazelnut wrote:

Why are we using "that"? Further, there is no need to introduce the verb "was."

hazelnut wrote:
(D) changing often

Parallelism. We have a list of three verbs: considered, reasoned, and changed.

We need our underlined verb to be consistent and have an -ed ending. Also, changing is an adverb, it's not even a verb!

hazelnut wrote:
(E) one he often changed

By introducing the pronoun "he", this answer choices creates a run-on sentence.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [11]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos