GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 17:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 May 2018, 03:33
PAcmania wrote:
hey guys,

I was in the midst of a CAT on the new Official Gmat Prep platform. I clicked next to submit my quant answer and the screen froze. So I closed the popup, went back to main menu and clicked on continue (This was EXAM 3). However, it did not resolve my issue. In fact I got kicked out of the entire platform and now cant even load the website anymore.

Can anyone please check whether the site is up and running? It is not loading for me anymore. My browser is attempting to establish a connection but nothing shows up - not even a connection error.

Kindly let me know if you have similar issues...

Hi

Even I was in the middle of an online CAT, clicked to submit a verbal answer and website froze. And now, I can't access the site.

Originally posted by Shobhit7 on 07 May 2018, 03:32.
Last edited by Shobhit7 on 07 May 2018, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 03:32
PAcmania wrote:
hey guys,

I was in the midst of a CAT on the new Official Gmat Prep platform. I clicked next to submit my quant answer and the screen froze. So I closed the popup, went back to main menu and clicked on continue (This was EXAM 3). However, it did not resolve my issue. In fact I got kicked out of the entire platform and now cant even load the website anymore.

Can anyone please check whether the site is up and running? It is not loading for me anymore. My browser is attempting to establish a connection but nothing shows up - not even a connection error.

Kindly let me know if you have similar issues...

Hi,

I'm trying to login to free exam CATs, the page keep loading,nothing is opened.It seems the site is crashed finally. A couple of days ago, I was taking CAT 2, I experienced the same thing and couldn't answer verbal questions after question number 20 something, my score went down,demotivated me, and I couldn't evaluate my real score. And another interesting thing was that my 2nd quant question was a 700 level, I think there's a problem with their algorithm too.

I think someone from GMAC should read these posts here, and take the responsibility to answer!

If time was on my side, I'd still have none to waste......

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 03:39
Thanks for your input.

When I refreshed the page just now, I made it to main menu where it said "your session expired blabla". Usually I just relog and its fine, but again the site starts loading and loading....
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 04:14
It is working again guys. Please check.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 04:27
PAcmania wrote:
It is working again guys. Please check.

It logs in,but my last score is shown as 0 (zero), when hit ''Review your response" button Unable to get the data from the session error pops up.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.8
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 05:05
myheartssay wrote:
Tridhipal wrote:
myheartssay wrote:
Hi, I'm new here and I need opinion from anyone about my latest GMAT experience.
So, anyone thinking after the new format GMAT become harder?? I took first GMAT last March with old format and can score 600, but when I attempt to took it again today, my score drops to 490!!
I was study using only OG 2016 and 2018, it goes well for my first GMAT, but for me today's question far from OG typical question.
Any inside?

Posted from my mobile device

What is your sectional score? PS, DS, CR, RC, SC. The difference between old and new GMAT is mainly number of questions in RC and passages being more convoluted. Also, the probability of guessing an answer will hurt more than before because experimental q's are removed.

IMO..people who scored 600-700 range earlier are scoring 450-550 range with the new pattern. SO try to ace RC and accuracy, a little more hard work is required to score 650+ in new GMAT.

Hope this helps.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I don't really remember since the total score so low I canceled it immediately. I think around 30 for Q and around 20 for V, all below my first GMAT.

So, they remove all experiment questions or only proportionally, which means experimental questions still there only with smaller number?

Have you taken GMAT with new format? What's your score? Do you think OG still enough? Any recommendation for other source?

Sorry for lots of question, I'm still unsure whether to take another GMAT or stick with 600, since today's test question too different with my practice all this time, I'm afraid another GMAT will only end with failure

Hi
I didnt take new Gmat yet because of new pattern.

What I understood is
1. You scored 600 in old format real GMAT
2. You scored 490 in new format real GMAT

So it implies you made 2 attempts. Coming to your question if OG is enough or no.

1. Give GMATPrep Mock with new version.
2. Check your score and do thorough analysis where u went wrong and in which areas you need improvement.
3. Learn the concepts in those weak areas, practice GC questions and QP
4. Set a strategy and deal with those weak area questions.
5. Once you gain confidence then jump to OG questions. Then you will come to know how to apply and if any improvement required.
* Don't waste the valuable OG questions attempting them first without any learnt strategies.
6. After finishing OG, then take Mocks and check ur scores

When u do all this, you will obviously know wther to go ahead for 3rd attempt. You have only 8 attempts for GMAT in your life. So best of the scores are considered. As you have one in handy 600 and its valid for 5 yrs , taking 3 rd attempt should not hurt you when you are well prepared for the exam.

REg: Other Material.

You have vast material around gmatclub by many experts.

Here is the below material you can have other than official but similar one.
MGMAT Books( Manhattan GMAT) for all the sections.
Powerscore Bible for CR

Good links you get from souvik101990
Here is the link. He organized the GMAT material well. Check his posts.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/memberlist.p ... uvik101990

Hope this helps

Thanks
Tridhipal

TD

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 06:57
Top Contributor
balagevr wrote:
Can any one who have taken the tests in the new gmatprep version tell the question break up in the verbal section for CR,RC,SC.

Hi balagevr,

Here is the information you requested:

mcelroytutoring wrote:
OK, I ran a question-type count on the new (online) Verbal section of Exam 1, and here is what I found:

15 SC, 13 RC, 8 CR.

Make of that what you will! Also note that this balance/frequency of question Verbal types on the new GMATPrep tests does NOT appear to reflect their true proportions on the actual GMAT, based on the debriefs we've read so far, which suggest that RC is now the most common question type.

Keep in mind that I only ran one simulation. It is entirely possible that every GMATPrep test now has a slightly different balance of question types, much like the real GMAT itself, due to the random distribution of experimental questions by type.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 12:16
I just received an email with the below details

Free migration is only valid to those who purchased a GMATPrep® product between October 1, 2017 – April 30, 2018. Please allow up to five business days to process your request.

Free migration to our improved products –Deadline Extended to May 18

P.S: - Damn it! I purchased GMATPrep in September :-(

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 12:22
mcelroytutoring wrote:
balagevr wrote:
Can any one who have taken the tests in the new gmatprep version tell the question break up in the verbal section for CR,RC,SC.

Hi balagevr,

Here is the information you requested:

mcelroytutoring wrote:
OK, I ran a question-type count on the new (online) Verbal section of Exam 1, and here is what I found:

15 SC, 13 RC, 8 CR.

Make of that what you will! Also note that this balance/frequency of question Verbal types on the new GMATPrep tests does NOT appear to reflect their true proportions on the actual GMAT, based on the debriefs we've read so far, which suggest that RC is now the most common question type.

Keep in mind that I only ran one simulation. It is entirely possible that every GMATPrep test now has a slightly different balance of question types, much like the real GMAT itself, due to the random distribution of experimental questions by type.

-Brian

Brian - sounds like achieving 750+ on the GMAT now is harder than before and the verbal is especially harder as the passages are longer?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: MBS '21
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 14:43
Tridhipal wrote:
myheartssay wrote:
Tridhipal wrote:
[quote="myheartssay"]Hi, I'm new here and I need opinion from anyone about my latest GMAT experience.
So, anyone thinking after the new format GMAT become harder?? I took first GMAT last March with old format and can score 600, but when I attempt to took it again today, my score drops to 490!!
I was study using only OG 2016 and 2018, it goes well for my first GMAT, but for me today's question far from OG typical question.
Any inside?

Posted from my mobile device

What is your sectional score? PS, DS, CR, RC, SC. The difference between old and new GMAT is mainly number of questions in RC and passages being more convoluted. Also, the probability of guessing an answer will hurt more than before because experimental q's are removed.

IMO..people who scored 600-700 range earlier are scoring 450-550 range with the new pattern. SO try to ace RC and accuracy, a little more hard work is required to score 650+ in new GMAT.

Hope this helps.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I don't really remember since the total score so low I canceled it immediately. I think around 30 for Q and around 20 for V, all below my first GMAT.

So, they remove all experiment questions or only proportionally, which means experimental questions still there only with smaller number?

Have you taken GMAT with new format? What's your score? Do you think OG still enough? Any recommendation for other source?

Sorry for lots of question, I'm still unsure whether to take another GMAT or stick with 600, since today's test question too different with my practice all this time, I'm afraid another GMAT will only end with failure

Hi
I didnt take new Gmat yet because of new pattern.

What I understood is
1. You scored 600 in old format real GMAT
2. You scored 490 in new format real GMAT

So it implies you made 2 attempts. Coming to your question if OG is enough or no.

1. Give GMATPrep Mock with new version.
2. Check your score and do thorough analysis where u went wrong and in which areas you need improvement.
3. Learn the concepts in those weak areas, practice GC questions and QP
4. Set a strategy and deal with those weak area questions.
5. Once you gain confidence then jump to OG questions. Then you will come to know how to apply and if any improvement required.
* Don't waste the valuable OG questions attempting them first without any learnt strategies.
6. After finishing OG, then take Mocks and check ur scores

When u do all this, you will obviously know wther to go ahead for 3rd attempt. You have only 8 attempts for GMAT in your life. So best of the scores are considered. As you have one in handy 600 and its valid for 5 yrs , taking 3 rd attempt should not hurt you when you are well prepared for the exam.

REg: Other Material.

You have vast material around gmatclub by many experts.

Here is the below material you can have other than official but similar one.
MGMAT Books( Manhattan GMAT) for all the sections.
Powerscore Bible for CR

Good links you get from souvik101990
Here is the link. He organized the GMAT material well. Check his posts.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/memberlist.p ... uvik101990

Hope this helps

Thanks
Tridhipal[/quote]Yeah, I'm afraid to take another GMAT because I already spent a lot of money for preparation and taking the last 2 tests, still need a lot of that for getting consultant for admission and apply to b-school .

But I will try to follow your advice, learn from free source GMAT Club and others offer, and after that if I get my courage again, I'll try third attempt.

Thank you, hope you're success in new format GMAT, if you do, please tell me your opinion in that.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 15:31
Reporting another glitch in the GMATPREP online platform:

I took practice exam #5 last Monday. (I was able to view my results over the course of the last week)

Today, I took practice exam #4. (I experienced the "frozen" loading screen as described by others on this thread at the end of the exam)

Once I logged back into the online platform, I was able to complete/submit and review todays exam #4, but ALL THE DATA HAS BEEN ERASED FROM LAST WEEKS EXAM #5!. Last weeks Exam #5 currently shows a score of: 0 and states "Unable to get the data from the session".

Lesson Learned: Screenshot everything you need off this online platform as it is extremely buggy and unstable at this point.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 16:24
Top Contributor
bondyradercu wrote:
Brian - sounds like achieving 750+ on the GMAT now is harder than before and the verbal is especially harder as the passages are longer?

I wouldn't necessarily say that the new GMAT is harder, though most users on GMAT Club appear to feel that way.

The new Quant section is definitely easier, because it's the same balance of questions with the exact same question content, only 13 minutes shorter. Overall, Quant section time has been reduced by 17%, and the number of questions has been reduced by 16%. Verbal, however, may well have become a tad more difficult with the higher proportion of RC questions, which tend to take longer than SCs--though I would argue that the effect is somewhat blunted by the 10-minute shorter section duration (a 13% reduction in time and a 12% reduction in the number of questions), which allows the test-taker to concentrate more intensely.

It all depends on what your strengths and weaknesses are.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 17:52
Top Contributor
pikolo2510 wrote:
I just received an email with the below details

Free migration is only valid to those who purchased a GMATPrep® product between October 1, 2017 – April 30, 2018. Please allow up to five business days to process your request.

Free migration to our improved products –Deadline Extended to May 18

Thanks for the update, pikolo2510! I can confirm from the GMATPrep Online FAQ that this good news is true: the "migration" cut-off date has been pushed back from 1/16/18 to 10/1/17--and the deadline for free migration has been extended to 5/18/18.

Fair warning, though: the "migration" is currently more of a downgrade than an upgrade, imo. So far it has also proven to be very buggy, perhaps even more so than the desktop GMATPrep software. As with the old GMATPrep software, you should play it safe and take lots of screenshots just in case everything crashes or freezes suddenly, and you lose hours of your work.

Besides, taking screenshots at the beginning of each question is always a good idea, because not only do they serve as a backup method, but they also provide you with pacing information (time remaining) on an individual question basis, which the GMAT Prep "ESR" does not.

-Brian

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 23:53
I have previously bought EP2 but when i try to enter the activation code on the web based version of GMAT Prep, it says that my code is invalid. Help?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 00:27
Hi All,

Thank you for keeping the club so active and for all the feedback regarding the change in the format. I have a 670 on GMAT right now (Q46, V36). I am taking the test again in June (I have scheduled the date). However, there are a few things I would like to clarify:

1) I skimmed through the pages to check the feedback for candidates who have appeared for the test after the format change but I couldn't find consensus. It is correct to say that Quant is at more or less same difficulty level as before the change whereas verbal is not a little more difficult than previously ? major trimming in the number of questions is happening for CR right ? so is CR difficulty level going up ?
2) Now the GMATprep software is not available but now the interface is pretty much like it is for Manhattan for which you have to log-in the account and entire test is on a webpage as opposed to a file that one could download and install on a computer ?
3) Any purchases after October 2017 stand nulled ?

I would greatly appreciate some light on above queries. Good to all who're going to test in coming days and who're preparing.

Best,
VDC
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 01:26
Prannay27 wrote:
I have previously bought EP2 but when i try to enter the activation code on the web based version of GMAT Prep, it says that my code is invalid. Help?

You have to exchange your old Activation Code for a new one through an email with a proof attachment. Please refer to the post above you for further instructions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 01:47
coolo wrote:
Reporting another glitch in the GMATPREP online platform:

I took practice exam #5 last Monday. (I was able to view my results over the course of the last week)

Today, I took practice exam #4. (I experienced the "frozen" loading screen as described by others on this thread at the end of the exam)

Once I logged back into the online platform, I was able to complete/submit and review todays exam #4, but ALL THE DATA HAS BEEN ERASED FROM LAST WEEKS EXAM #5!. Last weeks Exam #5 currently shows a score of: 0 and states "Unable to get the data from the session".

Lesson Learned: Screenshot everything you need off this online platform as it is extremely buggy and unstable at this point.
Taking screenshots can be distracting why don't use screenpresso it will record the entire exam... Or use Windows default recording feature. Win + Alt + R or Win + G then click on record

Sent from my MotoG3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: MBS '21
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 08:36
VijayDinanathChauhan wrote:
Hi All,

Thank you for keeping the club so active and for all the feedback regarding the change in the format. I have a 670 on GMAT right now (Q46, V36). I am taking the test again in June (I have scheduled the date). However, there are a few things I would like to clarify:

1) I skimmed through the pages to check the feedback for candidates who have appeared for the test after the format change but I couldn't find consensus. It is correct to say that Quant is at more or less same difficulty level as before the change whereas verbal is not a little more difficult than previously ? major trimming in the number of questions is happening for CR right ? so is CR difficulty level going up ?
2) Now the GMATprep software is not available but now the interface is pretty much like it is for Manhattan for which you have to log-in the account and entire test is on a webpage as opposed to a file that one could download and install on a computer ?
3) Any purchases after October 2017 stand nulled ?

I would greatly appreciate some light on above queries. Good to all who're going to test in coming days and who're preparing.

Best,
VDC
Good for you..
Because to me both Quant and Verbal become harder in new format.

So, 670 in new format? May I ask what material you used for preparation?
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.84
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 09:25
Hi All,

I have attempted both free (updated) GMAT Prep tests. On my first attempt, it skipped the quant section, registering a 0 for my quant percentile. After completing the second test, the software failed to record a score (the software made me wait on a frozen page that read "please wait, your question is being evaluated") and did not record my answers for review.

I called MBA.com and reported this. They are aware of the issue and are bringing in the developer to remedy the situation ASAP. They said they would email me regarding the status of the repairs. Once I hear back, I will update this post.

Until then, if you are planning on taking a free GMAT Prep exam, PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!

**Update: No response yet from MBA reps, but my scores just appeared a day after my screen froze. It also looks like I will be able to review my answers
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 10:46
So guys would you recommend to buy other paid Exam packs or I should go with other test prep companies' CATs as Official CAT doesn't working properly?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter &nbs [#permalink] 08 May 2018, 10:46

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22    Next  [ 435 posts ] 

GMAT IS CHANGING APRIL 16, 2018 - it will be 30 minutes shorter

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap