GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 19:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:55) correct 37% (00:59) wrong based on 350 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 240

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked them with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.

(A) them
(B) the river
(C) the rivers
(D) each river
(E) that river

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Tutor
B
Re: Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 02:54
this problem is an excellent reminder that the GMAT does not test "pronoun ambiguity". if you see a pronoun, you should ALWAYS be able to determine, using common sense, what noun it "wants" to stand for.

(it IS possible to write english sentences with genuinely ambiguous pronouns — e.g., Jane was talking to Sharon about her children — but the GMAT has never done such a thing.)

thinking about "pronoun ambiguity" will just distract you from the things that actually matter in SC.
if you picked choice C here, you were distracted enough to miss "...that river" completely!

Please visit my corners of the web:
http://www.RonPurewal.com
http://www.facebook.com/RonPurewalGMAT
__

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi
__

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
—Yves Saint-Laurent

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
Reviews Badge
Re: Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 20:34
C - them is not clear. "the rivers" makes it clear
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 21:24
we are talking about seven rivers so "the rivers" makes sense.
I will go with option C.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 22:11
IMO ans D

state officials in Maine have stocked each river with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.

See the highlighted red part (in that particular river), So i think D will be apt over here.

Correct me if I a wrong.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 04:36
Answer D.

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked each river with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.

Thanks,
GyM
Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 18:38
I will go with D, "in that particular river." gave me the way.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 00:39
At first I have also thought about option C , but later 've seen " in each of the seven rivers " is the notion of the potential answer for being the OA " each river " .
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 11:12
GyMrAT wrote:
Answer D.

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked each river with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.

Thanks,
GyM

Cant understand why D is right over C ? and how 'in that particular river' made us to use 'each river'?
Can you please elaborate the reasoning ?

Thanks & Regards
Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 16:40
janadipesh wrote:
GyMrAT wrote:
Answer D.

Thanks,
GyM

Cant understand why D is right over C ? and how 'in that particular river' made us to use 'each river'?

Thanks & Regards

janadipesh

This is purely a meaning based question. hope you understand 'them' can't be used , as it made pronoun error. Now point it that there are many type of salmon. and each river has their own type of salmon. Each river has been stocked with the salmon that is already there. "particular river" is a singular term and it demands singular subject. Only D made any sense here. Hope it helped.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: ISB '20, XLRI
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V33
GPA: 2.79
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 22:38
End of the sentence non underlined portion "that particular river" is the hint for this question. Which means.sentence is talking about each river

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 23:15
aragonn wrote:
janadipesh wrote:
GyMrAT wrote:
Answer D.

Thanks,
GyM

Thanks & Regards

janadipesh

This is purely a meaning based question. hope you understand 'them' can't be used , as it made pronoun error. Now point it that there are many type of salmon. and each river has their own type of salmon. Each river has been stocked with the salmon that is already there. "particular river" is a singular term and it demands singular subject. Only D made any sense here. Hope it helped.

Thanks Now i understand properly....there are many type of salmon. and each river has their own type of salmon. Each river has been stocked with that type of salmon
Re: Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population &nbs [#permalink] 02 Aug 2018, 23:15

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap