Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Fuqua '23 (I)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40 (Online)
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2021 Intake) Class of 2023 [#permalink]
While I would definitely urge everyone to focus on other apps, I just wanted to let you guys know that this isn't the end of your road to Fuqua.
I was in the same shoes last year post round 1. Was waitlisted without an interview.
Eventually though, I was admitted with a scholarship. I know a few others who had similar experience.
So don't lose hope guys! But definitely work hard on your other apps.[/quote]

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience, did you receive an interview invite in the same round or later rounds?..

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2021 Intake) Class of 2023 [#permalink]
tamarind7 wrote:

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience, did you receive an interview invite in the same round or later rounds?..

Hi!
I received the interview invite much later.
I submitted my app in round 1.
Got waitlisted without an interview.
Submitted a couple of updates 2/3 weeks before the interview invite deadline for round 2. Didn't receive an invite with r2 folks either.
I received an invite about a week or so before the decisions deadline for r2.
Feel free to go through last year's waitlist thread. I have detailed the whole process there with concrete dates!
Current Student
Send PM
Is this the case with any other school or Fuqua is an exception? Because normally in other schools, waitlist candidates without interview assume that it's a ding. Fuqua's response to persistence is interesting.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
fall2021 wrote:
Is this the case with any other school or Fuqua is an exception? Because normally in other schools, waitlist candidates without interview assume that it's a ding. Fuqua's response to persistence is interesting.

I don't know about that mate.
The same happened to me with Ross as well.
Waitlisted without an interview, a couple of waitlist updates -> interview invite -> admission with scholarship.
I'll just say that there is not an established order to the process. Just shoot your best shots and hope for the best. If you hang in there, you just might get admitted. Be the one who doesn't yield among 100s who do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Last year it happened because a lot of admits took deferrals after R2. I am afraid it would not be same this year. This happened across all schools and even in Wharton, international students got admits with scholarship even in June. Which does not happen normally. So difficult to assess condition based on last year. Try to go through the thread of one year before that.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dreamer136 wrote:
Last year it happened because a lot of admits took deferrals after R2. I am afraid it would not be same this year. This happened across all schools and even in Wharton, international students got admits with scholarship even in June. Which does not happen normally. So difficult to assess condition based on last year. Try to go through the thread of one year before that.

Deferrals weren't granted at Fuqua till July almost. I am one of those admits who took a deferral. Trust me, the back-and-forth we've had with the adcom before they finally gave the green light to deferrals was nerve-racking.

Deferrals started making a difference in admits post round 3. And this is totally normal with Fuqua. I know many people from the class of 2021 who were waitlisted originally. When you are waitlisted actually, you get a few mails from students who converted their waitlists talking about their stories just to keep you motivated. Though, even before these mails, I connected with a few current students who did convert their waitlists. About 10-15% of the class is made from the waitlist in every "normal" year and many of these are the ones who weren't invited to an interview originally.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
The point is even if there was no deferral from Fuqua, deferral started from Harvard & Wharton, obviously case by case basis at first. So when they started deferrals, it will trigger a chain where they will admit candidates who are next in pipeline and those will be from Fuqua and other peer schools. And Fuqua will start interviewing or accepting waitlisted candidates. There were too many variables last year that is why it is best to judge a situation based on what happened a year before.
That’s all that I want to say

SageJiraiya wrote:
Dreamer136 wrote:

Deferrals weren't granted at Fuqua till July almost. I am one of those admits who took a deferral. Trust me, the back-and-forth we've had with the adcom before they finally gave the green light to deferrals was nerve-racking.

Deferrals started making a difference in admits post round 3. And this is totally normal with Fuqua. I know many people from the class of 2021 who were waitlisted originally. When you are waitlisted actually, you get a few mails from students who converted their waitlists talking about their stories just to keep you motivated. Though, even before these mails, I connected with a few current students who did convert their waitlists. About 10-15% of the class is made from the waitlist in every "normal" year and many of these are the ones who weren't invited to an interview originally.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dreamer136 wrote:
The point is even if there was no deferral from Fuqua, deferral started from Harvard & Wharton, obviously case by case basis at first. So when they started deferrals, it will trigger a chain where they will admit candidates who are next in pipeline and those will be from Fuqua and other peer schools. And Fuqua will start interviewing or accepting waitlisted candidates. There were too many variables last year that is why it is best to judge a situation based on what happened a year before.
That’s all that I want to say

SageJiraiya wrote:
Dreamer136 wrote:

That's a good point.
However, that again didn't happen until after r2 results were announced.
Most people who were waitlisted without an interview in r1 or before received invites with r2 folks, much before the situation reached a point where deferrals were warranted.

I'm with you on everything that happened post r2. Fuqua's r2 invitation deadline was late Jan / early Feb. I got mine in mid-end Feb.
I don't think there was strong deferral talk then in any school.

Also, 10-15% factor is not last year's number. That's what happens in every normal year. Last year they had a much stronger waitlist movement in July.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hello all,

Can someone please explain the following in the application-

1) Total number of months of full-time, post graduate work including anticipated months of work up to program enrollment date. (Do not include internships.)

I am a bit confused regarding the word "Post Graduate Work". Should we include total work experience upto matriculation or only experience after Post Graduation(in which case mine shall be '0' since I did not do a Post graduation)

2)Total number of months of full-time, post-graduate management experience including anticipated months of management experience to program enrollment date. We consider management experience to be people, project, or budget management. (Do not include internships.)

Again, what is post-graduate management experience?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
GPA: 1
Send PM
sarvaanjan wrote:
Hello all,

1) Total number of months of full-time, post graduate work including anticipated months of work up to program enrollment date. (Do not include internships.)

I am a bit confused regarding the word "Post Graduate Work". Should we include total work experience upto matriculation or only experience after Post Graduation(in which case mine shall be '0' since I did not do a Post graduation)

2)Total number of months of full-time, post-graduate management experience including anticipated months of management experience to program enrollment date. We consider management experience to be people, project, or budget management. (Do not include internships.)

Post-graduate means after you earned your bachelor's degree. It's telling you not to include any experience from jobs you had while in college, or jobs you had before college.
Current Student
Send PM
sarvaanjan wrote:
Hello all,

Hi, it's just your total work experience as on matriculation date and how many months of managerial experience in your total experience. They are not asking about experience after post-graduate degree. They are using the word Post to mean "After" your graduation

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I'm working on my goals essay and wanted help. My goal is MBB digital/analytics practice to prepare for starting my own analytics startup. Since I'm an international student, I can't say I'll work for an analytics startup post MBA due to visa issues. Is IBM consulting a good enough alternate career plan or is it more or less the same as MBB analytics/digital just at a different sort of consulting firm? Does Strategy & Analyitcs Manager at Walmart/Amazon work better as an alternate career path?

MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Fuqua is going Live in MBA Spotlight in about 2 hours of time at 9 AM Pacific. The session is planned for 50 minutes with a lot of live Q&A. Fuqua is also giving about 200 application fee waivers :dazed

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello everyone,

What is the conversion rate from interview to admittance for EA round applicants? Any clue about it?
Current Student
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
afrahgmat wrote:
Hello everyone,

What is the conversion rate from interview to admittance for EA round applicants? Any clue about it?

From the decision tracker data of previous years seems around 60% students were admitted after being invited to interview in EA. This seems high and as always take the unofficial numbers with a pinch of salt.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi, everyone

Do you know whether the admission office gives you a call or sends email about the results of EA next Tuesday?

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 329
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '23 (M)
GRE 1: Q170 V163
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
monkeymonk wrote:
Hi, everyone

Do you know whether the admission office gives you a call or sends email about the results of EA next Tuesday?

So from what I gather they try calling all the admitted students. They factor in your time zone so that they don't end up calling you late in the night. If they can't reach you, then they drop you an email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts