GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 19:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Parallelism Tuesday - Weekly Revision!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Parallelism Tuesday - Weekly Revision!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 12:22

Parallelism Tuesday's - Weekly Revision!

For months and years I had this question. How do I answer "I am stuck in my V25-V30. Can you help me to get to V40s" - I used to respond to PMs such as these for a few years, but then I stopped. They were too many, and I got drawn to the MBA side of things. The general piece of advice remained largely similar to everyone struggling with verbal -

Practice Good Questions - Analyze Your Errors - Get Better - Repeat

For theory on verbal topics, I have written literally 100s of articles on different SC and CR concepts but they either get lost in the crowd or are left unread. So I got the idea of creating megathreads. I created 3 giant megathreads on CR, SC, and RC but I always felt that for a regular user, they would seem really complicated and too much work. So when I was thinking about a new verbal project in the summer, I thought about creating a weekly revision thread for verbal concepts. So there we have it :)

Introducing Parallelism Revision - This thread will have most of the resources/articles/readings on Parallelisms in the context of GMAT Sentence Correction, and it will also have weekly questions to flex your GMAT muscles. This week we will post 10 questions and next week you can come back for 10 more. We strongly encourage engaging with the questions in the threads, ask questions, tag experts, and overall just kick some serious Parallelism butt.

Parallelism resources and articles

What is parallel to what?
Markers in parallelism
Imperfect parallelism
Grammar vs Logic in parallelism
OG Questions on parallelism
Parallelism notes by Ron Purewal

Parallelism Questions Set 1 - 8th May 2018

Parallelism Q1
Parallelism Q2
Parallelism Q3
Parallelism Q4
Parallelism Q5
Parallelism Q6
Parallelism Q7
Parallelism Q8
Parallelism Q9
Parallelism Q10

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 08:05
General Discussion
Current Student
V
Re: Parallelism Tuesday - Weekly Revision!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 13:24
Current Student
V

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 04:18
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 23:47
1(A) Kathy donated $1000 to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also encourages people to donate for a cause.

1(B) Kathy donated $1000 to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also supports for other social beneficial activities.

Here both sentences make sense with subject as Kathy and Charitable trust( relative pronoun that refers to the trust).
i.So, are these sentences ambiguous?
ii.Or the verb encourages or supports is parallel to the verb donates for Kathy since the marker THAT is not present after AND.
iii. Also, I don't think we can use verb tenses here to clear the ambiguity since parallel clauses can be in different tenses.

2(A) Kathy donates $1000 every year to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also supports for other social beneficial activities.

2(B) Kathy donates $1000 every year to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also that supports for other social beneficial activities.

In 2(A) , both the verbs donates and supports refer to Kathy , but in 2(B) , the verbs helps and supports refer to the subject THAT i.e Charitable trust (since the marker that is present)

mcelroytutoring , AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , sayantanc2k, RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , daagh , other experts-- please enlighten

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 14:53
Skywalker18 wrote:
1(A) Kathy donated $1000 to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also encourages people to donate for a cause.

1(B) Kathy donated $1000 to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also supports for other social beneficial activities.

Here both sentences make sense with subject as Kathy and Charitable trust( relative pronoun that refers to the trust).
i.So, are these sentences ambiguous?
ii.Or the verb encourages or supports is parallel to the verb donates for Kathy since the marker THAT is not present after AND.
iii. Also, I don't think we can use verb tenses here to clear the ambiguity since parallel clauses can be in different tenses.

2(A) Kathy donates $1000 every year to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also supports for other social beneficial activities.

2(B) Kathy donates $1000 every year to a charitable trust that helps underprivileged students to pursue primary education and also that supports for other social beneficial activities.

In 2(A) , both the verbs donates and supports refer to Kathy , but in 2(B) , the verbs helps and supports refer to the subject THAT i.e Charitable trust (since the marker that is present)

1. Your major point is correct: the list in the first sentence can consist of either 'donated' and 'encourages' (two things that Kathy does), or 'helps' and 'encourages' (two things that the charitable trust does).

2. I'm not aware of any official SC problem that tests ambiguity in exactly this way. The closest one I can think of is SC697 from the OG2018. However, in that problem, the official explanation concludes (and I agree) that one of the ways of reading the sentence makes more logical sense than the other one. In your example, I think both ways of reading the sentence make logical sense. So, if I saw this on the test, I would look for another issue to work with. I wouldn't feel confident saying that the first sentence is 'wrong' due to the ambiguity. Please let me know if there's another official problem you're thinking of!

3. You're correct that the verb tenses don't help resolve the ambiguity here, since verbs can be parallel and be in different tenses.

4. The idiom 'supports for' in your second sentence is incorrect, as is the use of 'social.' You'd want it to read 'supports other socially beneficial activities.' That's not related to your question about parallelism, but it's relevant, since I'd eliminate the second sentence on those grounds!

5. Sentence 2b sounds incorrect to me, but I'm not totally sure why. I want it to read 'that helps... and also supports'. (In other words, it seems weird to have two 'thats' in a parallel list that includes the word 'also'.)

Here's a simpler sentence with the same issue; this one sounds a little off to me too.

'I see a house that has a blue roof and also that has a red door.' = wrong??

'I see a house that has a blue roof and also has a red door.' = right

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Re: Parallelism Tuesday - Weekly Revision! &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 14:53

Parallelism Tuesday - Weekly Revision!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap